This Battle Pass is..... well

Souvenirs are essentially cheaper emotes - since devs don’t need to make any new animations when they introduce new souvenirs. They only need to make the object that is shown in the souvenir.

I can see why devs do that (make content easier and faster) but from a player’s point of view it is never good. Its like getting a clump of vaguely cookie-shaped material at a fast food restaurant.

13 Likes

agreed. there’s nothing but cynical corporate greed rotting the game from the inside

7 Likes

Nope. Just the ones she holds in front of her while you’re playing.

I dunno man. I’m just throwing out ideas off the top of my head. Still better than what Blizzard spent years developing.

3 Likes

Overwatch 1, during the 3 year content drought, was making about half a billion dollars a year. With no real content to speak of. How is that not profitable? How much do servers cost to run if getting half a billion dollars in a year isn’t enough?

And the reason Fortnite/Apex/LoL/Valorant use those models is because they all are, and always have been, Free to Play. Overwatch launched at $40, and had microtransactions anyways. It was making plenty of money, there’s no other way to explain something that counts for 5-10% of a businesses profit (which by definition made it profitable, and consistent enough that it was in the black every year.) It just wasn’t making all the money.

I was perfectly happy when this was the case, as it was for around 85% of the time after it had been announced. Because I had no interest in getting the PvE stuff and knew I could just… not buy Overwatch 2 and keep playing Overwatch. And then, 4 months ago on a reddit thread, they announced that they were killing off OW to effectively force people into OW2 out of nowhere.

9 Likes

The progression rate is fine, but the reward progression is not. There is A LOT of “filler” and basically the legendary skins (and Mythic ofc).

It really feels like they should have slots where they give either credits or “materials” or even legacy tokens to buy things from heroes but they choose not to.

Can pretty much guarantee you have Bobby Kotick to thank for that decision.

6 Likes

I miss voicelines. They are a dollar each now. Not buying any of those now.

8 Likes

And live service games with better business models like Fortnite make over 5 billion a year.

even paid battlepass is bad, not even every hero gets just a spray or voiceline

1 Like

yeah. fitting for a cyberpunk theme. Yet sojourns is separate and costs 20 dollars. nice.

except of Genji mains having a blast this season pass; its a solid pass for everyone else including myself.

If the game is fun and you are enjoying it for “free.” Why do they need to give you free skins? You are legit playing a good game for free, for $0.00….

this, they could of put in some actual coins in those slots and save them the 5 minutes of modeling the boring emote

1 Like

This, OW2 need some kind of “cosmetics tickets” with different rarity, each tickets can be traded for any cosmetics in that rarity (except BP/store exclusive cosmetics), spread the tickets in the BP, both the free and paid tracks, put a legendary ticket in the 80 tier as the final rewards with the mythic skin.

The problem with OW2 BP is that there are 35 heroes and most players only play/main a few of them, if the BP didn’t have the skins for that heroes then that players will less likely to buy it. Adding this ticket system in the BP can solve this problem, that’s means every players who purchase the BP can at least get 1 legendary skin for their favorite heroes every season.

5 Likes

I paid $60 for overwatch 1 where I could casually play and slowly earn skins without spending a dime more. Now I’m forced to play a “free” game where there is 0 progression and voicelines/profile pictures go for $1 in the shop with a terrible battlepass that introduces random cash grab changes to cosmetics like souvenirs/weapon charms.

I’d barely call the game fun as well with the sombra/zarya meta

10 Likes

At the cost of them shutting down a game that people paid for and were able to earn free skins just by playing.

3 Likes

Each Battle Pass if 80 tiers like season 1, will contain 10 skins. 1 mythic, and 9 legendary skins. These skins are all different heroes except for 2 which are the newest heroes skins.
This means for that only 8 of these skins are for heroes other than the newest released which receives 2.

Theoretically if you are a bastion main (RIP) you have the slimmest chance in hell of getting a skin. They prioritize 2 skins to the newest heroes then dish out the rest to popular and the most monetizable heroes like genji and winston.

Not only this but in the first season of overwatch 2 there is not a single reward that benefits bastion nor tobjorn, no voice line, no skin, no intro, nothing. Sojourn on the other hand gets a 1 skin, 2 voice lines, and an emote. I get that she is new but all of that and torb and bastion get nothing.

The 80 tiers are also pretty bad, I have the battle pass and it is already completed after playing for a week. Why not make it 100 tiers and include more rewards like a second mythic and rewards for more heroes. The single mythic skin is also disastrous above that too. I truly believe that this game will never see the day bastion gets a mythic skin. only 1 mythic skin per season and it will prioritise popular heroes. RIP all Torb and Bastion Mains, we will never see a mythic.

What do you mean you don’t want to emote pizza slice

Games have had progression systems for decades. If they add one and it’s crap, they can expect criticism.
Even the non-free option is pretty crap, if we’re including blizzcoins and shop prices.

1 Like

I’m so glad other people have mentioned souvenirs being worse emotes. It literally just feels like filler content cause execs wanted to make sure there was enough stuff for people to throw money at.

I think what’s really sad is in all my games I’ve played since launch I’ve seen new cosmetics maybe twice. I saw one cyber genji, and I think I saw one hunter queen. I saw a knight mercy once but I think that’s an owl skin and not a new cosmetic.

Fomo doesn’t really work if the vast majority of players don’t bite. It just feels like we’re all missing out together.

4 Likes