There are a GAZZILION of Bugs Plaguing Doomfist

what I’m trying to say is :
why wasting time trying to fix ghost punch, by messing with the server latency issues and stuff like that if just increasing the hit box would be the right thing to do

2 Likes

Tell that to Blizzard

2 Likes

Nobody forced some particular way to fix things. I just listed the bugs. How are they going to fix them, is completely on them.

Is it really so much to ask that they do something? JUST PUT THEM ON THE KNOWN ISSUES LIST

1 Like

Doesn’t look like enough people care for these bugs to be fixed. I guess that’s one reason they can ignore doomfist, people just gave up on him so why bother.

1 Like

He’s an absolute pain to play. Punches are way too inconsistent.

1 Like

Doomfist just has way too many counters, also.

Killing Tracer or Genji is borderline impossible due to their superior mobility.
Pharah is impossible to kill straight up if you’re equal skill.
Sombra will make you useless.
McCree can just stun and FTH you, Bastion will spray you down.
Hanzo will dodge and then Volley you
Orisa is literally built to counter you
Junkrat can trap and end you (because his trap disables all your abilities) or just shoot your massive hitbox.
Widowmaker can get to highground and escape you very easily while also plinking away your massive hitbox.
Reaper and Roadhog just shoot you with their shotguns which are unsurprisingly good against the huge hitbox squishy character.
Torbjorn’s shotgun is amazing against you and his armour packs make it much harder to kill people due to your shotgun not dealing much damage vs. Armour. You also can’t kill his turret.

In summary, that’s:
The entire Offense roster bar another Doomfist (though one that’s better than you will end you) and 76 (and he can easily take you out, you just have an easy time doing it to him too)

The entire Defense roster bar Mei (who can still kill you or slow you down since you’re easy to track, and she can mess you up with walls)

Two very common tanks

No supports (though most of them can escape you except maybe Zenyatta).

Fair.

2 Likes

My comprehensive list of the 6 reasons I believed Doomfist is under powered was moved under here. Let’s hope both the threads are taken into consideration.

1 Like

Building on that, I could understand that Doomfist is a hero that is hard to balance. He is either too weak or too strong, but that means he just needs more attention Blizzard! As it stand he has terrable pick rate and K/D. Sure Overwatch isn’t your Average FPS, so K/D isn’t really that important. That doesn’t mean DF’s job should be to make every fight a 5v5. Bugs do hold back DF a lot. They make it a lot harder to him pick up and play in general. On top of that he is weak against or counted by many heroes. DF needs help both bug fixes and buffs/reworks.

1 Like

3, 4, 10, 18 are not bugs.

D.Va and Orisa have built in reduced knockback from all sources while shooting. MEKA is immune to all knockback during Call Mech due to the rooting requirement for using the ability. Same as with Junkrat using RIP-Tire. They necessitate self rooting to use and are by extension immune to all forms of knockback. These are intended and not specific to Doomfist interaction.

Yeah, i’ve been told 15 isn’t a bug, and look at it, it got fixed.

Yea it’s not like people don’t spread misinformation. Don’t be so up about it when most people don’t know their stuffs anyway.

What makes you think you know “the stuff” and you are not the part of the “misinformation”?

You’re not obliged to trust me nor anyone. Anyone is free to contest whatever. Honestly the ball is on Blizzard’s side to provide accurate information but they’ve hardly addressed that.

It all boils down to how much reading, testing, and experience beyond of Overwatch that one really has. Common game making practices, etc. Do you know them? I’ll just leave it as is and say that Blizzard is doing themselves a deservice by not providing a proper resource relating to the game itself. Even other Game Devs themselves have to second guess since there is no official access to information.

Just be healthily skeptical and don’t take everything on face value or trust everything that you see on the Internet.

100% agree with you.

Some of the bugs here could be classified as features, if wanted. But this decision falls on the devs alone, only they can do it.

Yes

I gave very detailed reasons(i just noticed i actually didn’t, forgot to copy that info from the reddit thread, will do it now) to why i believe dva and orisa should have full knockback. To convince me it is not a bug, it either takes a dev to say it is a feature, or an explanation that shows my logic is faulty. So far nobody could give me one, and no devs said it is a feature, so for now, i will classify it as a bug.

I shall address the slowdown / knockback resistance since it’s brought up. There are typically different kinds of movement modifiers that may be applied intentionally. Two categories can be speed modifiers, and knockback modifiers. Speed modifiers can include self slowdown, Lucio’s Speed Aura, etc. It is a commonly listed bug when new heroes or abilities are added that specifically states that such abilities are not affected by Lucio’s Speed Aura / Boost, so likely that such movement flags to allow such modifiers have to be manually changed or added.

Speed and knockback modifiers are highly distinct and have been mostly consistent in behaviour throughout the game. McCree’s Deadeye, Reinhardt’s Barrier, scoping on Ana / Widow, drawing of Hanzo’s bow, etc, all have reduced speed modifiers. However, none of them take decreased knockback. Neither do positive speed modifiers increase knockback taken, although it might seem as such but that’s due to the game’s air acceleration mechanics.

Orisa and D.Va are currently the only two heroes that possess partial knockback modifiers as far as I remember. Complete knockback immunity include Bastion’s Configuration: Sentry’s rooting, Orisa’s Fortify, and being afflicted by Junkrat’s Steel Trap. External partial slowdowns by Mei’s Endothermic Blaster do not alter knockback taken. Then again, just by knockback alone there are different types, sometimes with their own unique behaviour. For example, explosive knockback, Lucio’s Soundwave, Winston’s Primal Rage. Zarya’s Barriers have also been altered for knockback interactions. Custom games have the option of altering the knockback of some abilities individually as well. There is no reason not to believe that intentional knockback modifiers have been added as characteristics of these two heroes. Bringing in TF2, this is in line with Heavy receiving reduced knockback while having his Minigun revved, similar to when Orisa and D.Va shooting.

It is thus more probable than not that these attributes were intentionally added, with distinct speed and knockback modifiers. It would be highly doubtful to say that the knockback reduction received by D.Va and Orisa are likely to be bugs. If they actually wanted to it is unlikely for it to be a difficult change since there has already been many on demand self slowdowns to remove the resistance. But there has never been any correlation between speed and knockback in the first place. A stationary D.Va that’s shooting doesn’t take take normal knockback. As is with a moving vs stationary scoped Ana. The list goes on. Try reducing any other hero’s speed to match a shooting D.Va’s speed and it will show that speed isn’t related to knockback. It is thus more logical and likely to be purposeful modifiers added, regardless of whether it makes any sense flavour wise. If they wanted to, they could always slap on the knockback resistance to Reinhardt holding his shield up as a change.

Anyways, there will perhaps never be proper confirmation. I just want Blizzard to come up with proper documentation that is accessible to everyone.

1 Like

would that apply to symetra placing a sentry? she gets slowed . someone need to test that

Sometime I wish they would give up on trying to fix wall hit registration and just make the punch do full damage on hit. This bug just keeps coming back.

Just because you can categorize it, doesn’t mean it is actually how it is.

I know exactly why dva and orisa have it differently, but that’s my guess based on my experience. I give it a 99% that they have different behaviour due to an unintended interaction between how they slow down the hero and knockbacks.

And i think it is unintended because the design goal, when these slowdowns were added, were to not make dva/orisa gain speed by jumping and then shooting, so they alter their speed as an ovveride to whatever speed they have currently, whether it is coming from a knockback or a jump.

Orisa could jump then shoot at release, avoiding the slowdown restriction, which made her gain an unintended advantage, so they applied the same override behavior to her speed that they applied to dva.

No other hero in the game that receives a losw down, and it is offensive, has means to bypass the slow down. Except dva and orisa.

These two can start shooting after they jumped, which allows them to bypass the slowdown restriction, thus the restriction was made harshes nad now their speed is overriden to not let them bypass this restriction.

Any other hero can’t bypass the slowdown by jumping, thus this override behaviour was not needed. Ana can’t scope in a jump, widow too. They can’t bypass the speed restrictions put on their offensive capability(slow down while scoped) because they just can’t scope airborn. Making dva nad orisa not shoot while airborn would be ridiculous, so they just went with the override the speed solution instead. Which has a side effect on knockbacks. Or anything that alters the speed for that matter. It will be overwritten.

But, despite all that, in relation to doomfist in particular, the thing is, his RP stuns and stops from doing whatever they are doing. So there is 99% probability it isn’t intended them to avoid the knockback. The knockback shouldn’t get reduced regardless of whether my guess about overridden speed is true or not, since they can’t shoot while stunned anyway.

They already had the knockback resistance before changes to Orisa were made, and even before Orisa was announced. D.Va had the proper airborne slowdown already, and thus had that applied properly to Orisa. I think I didn’t make it clear that they had both speed and knockback modifiers instead of just one.

Also incorrect about other heroes not having bypasses to slowdowns. Widowmaker and Ana can both scope in while jumping or airborne. This is done commonly for Ana, and how else does Widowmaker Grapple shot anyway.

so they just went with the override the speed solution instead. Which has a side effect on knockbacks. Or anything that alters the speed for that matter. It will be overwritten.

As I said, do not correlate speed with knockback, because they aren’t related. Feel free to test out my example as mentioned in a custom game. A partially frozen target is still going to get knocked back the same distance as a normal moving target, assuming both targets completely stop their movement inputs at the point of knockback.

Regarding Doomfist Rocket Punch interaction, I need to bring up that there are different levels of stuns and priorities in them. RP provides a soft stun. Compared to Reinhardt’s Charge which is a harder stun. To be specific, a soft stun does not override some attributes. This can be seen via interactions with Bastion’s Configuration: Sentry. Reinhardt can Charge Bastion out of Turret form, thus removing his rooting attribute, whereas Doomfist’s RP does not. In the same vein, RP does not remove the knockback resistance attribute of D.Va and Orisa at the point of contact, though it does stun them and stop them from shooting. But all calculations are done at the point of contact, and it’s the priority that affects the interaction.

I can draw in more examples from other games, but I don’t think that would be necessary.