The Sombra competitive experience

Realistically, here’s what’s going to happen 99% of the time: the McCree is going to die before the Sombra does anything because there’s only one DPS, so the enemy team is going crazy and steamrolling.

…Wait, you’re serious?

12 Likes

Chances are if someone/multiple people are flaming or immediately lash out, they’re probably the reason the team is failing, they get angry and find a scapegoat, in this case an off meta hero, as soon as they type SOMBRA SWITCH or whatever, the entire moral of the team is suddenly gone.

Also, that always seems to be the solution in every game in diamond and below, ‘we need more damage’ literally every single game people say this, not tactics or comms, timing or ult tracking but just shoot them.
I always hate when people say this.

3 Likes

Amazing how they can follow up a Graviton Surge, Blizzard, Earthshatter, or even Supercharger or Valkyrie; but not follow up nearly as well on an EMP. It’s almost like actual EMP isn’t nearly as strong as Forum EMP.

3 Likes

Thing is, it usually is Sombra that’s the problem. She can fix very specific issues, sometimes, but as a general purpose hero, she is actually terrible.

My main issue with having a sombra as second dps - she just not doing enough damage. Especially bad against heavy comps where you absolutely need more damage.

Today, on daily Overwatch Competitive news :
“Salty people gets tilted when they dont like your pick whether it works or not” and also “Toxic people blaming team mates for their mistakes and randomly asking to switch heroes”.

More news at 23!

No, for real. It happens to many heroes, not only Sombra and yes, its that common. I literally got flamed for picking Road instead of Zarya (outside of Goats), for picking Pharah instead of Mcree and picking Zen instead of Moira the same way.

It’s irritating. Most everyone says something like 'Sombra is extremely good when working with the team" (btw, no… A team working together is good regardless) but flips out when someone wants to play Sombra (even if they’re playing above their level in the match).

Doesn’t help any that other than hack she doesn’t have much to offer :frowning: . I mean she’s also the only hero I know that lacks mobility to get in and out quickly and is sometimes restricted to a distance where she’s not getting wrecked immediately doing literally 1 damage a bullet on some targets.

Sure, it can be the problem not denying that at all, she is one of the worst dps in the game, but raging at them won’t help.

Here’s a thing, if you’re well mannered and ask, ‘would you please switch’, their much more likely to do so, if not, well, that’s a different matter.

EMP is a pretty great ult though, your team can get a lot out of it, if they spent more time trying to work together instead of doing the exact opposite and creating a huge divide between the people you ‘have’ to work with in order to win.

Is Sombra, mostly hacking, somehow gold elims/damage
team: can we not have sombra

1 Like

Forum Sombra

• Hack is actually more powerful than killing a player.
  • Landing a Hack is just a matter of holding RMB.
  • EMP is a guaranteed fight win.
  • Sombra counters everything.
  • Sombra is actually good against all Tanks.
  • 0.65s is instant.

In Game Sombra

• Hack brings some heroes down to her level, others are still actively better than her.
  • Landing a Hack is a matter of RNGs permission, not getting hit by stray fire, good positioning, and getting it done before another player reacts.
  • EMP, as per Hack, is good against some compositions, but equally pretty useless against others. Follow up still requires a lot of active defence on your team’s part because the enemy are still very capable of shooting back and hiding.
  • Sombra counters a few specific heroes in very specific ways if she goes out of her way to absolutely focus them. She offers little against many others, limiting her use to the rest of the group while whoever she’s focusing is in respawn.
  • Sombra is theoretically good against Reinhardt (though all stats contradict this), while D.Va is also one of Sombra’s own strongest counters. Orisa simply doesn’t care if she’s in play.
  • 0.6s to interrupt Earthshatter is more than enough.

There are probably more we can add.

8 Likes

The thing is if it’s a Sombra playing WAY above her level and carrying the team she’s going to have low damage and low elims.

Low damage because she quickly focuses down targets and gets kills before they can get away.

Low elims because she’s not spraying fire everywhere tickling the enemy while her team does the heavily lifting.

Big reason why “medals” don’t mean much.

I’m aware? That’s why I wrote ‘somehow’, generally when I got gold damage as Sombra something is wrong with the rest of the team, elims I’m more fine with since it may just be me picking people off well.

but when I got 40 enemies hacked, gold dmg and elims and still get told to swap, then I know its my team not me xd

1 Like

Ironically, they do a great job of countering her in most natural scenarios. (because of hero design, not skill necessarily)

I agree and disagree with this line.

if sombra gets the hack off on a DVa and has mediocre aim, she’s likely to gain close to 50% ult charge, especially with the patch we’ll get tomorrow.

The rest of what you say certainly rings true, though.

Not if it’s instant. And even if it’s not, most times, the thing a team blames is the opposite to themselves; that is, a flanking off tank may complain about lack of pressure from their main tank, healers who want to; that flanking mcrightclick may get caught out and blame healers for not healing him when he was way out of position, or a flankyatta flaming the dps for not doing anythign when he has gold damage because he’s face tanking.

IF Sombra gets the Hack, meanwhile D.Va is the single best equipped hero in the game for preventing that from happening.

2 Likes

Yes, because if someone else did something dumb, it’ll always be your fault, no matter what.

Yes, because elims =/= damage, somehow.

Sombra, the only hero (as of now) who completely disables the enemy team, & your teammates still can’t attack them. When I play Sombra, I always have to make sure that my teammates are there to get any help attacking an important enemy. She’s very similar to Zenyatta, however, Zen is more likely to be left alone to be harrassed by whoever is flanking you.

Sombra’s usefulness is directly proportional to her team’s skill. So if her team is trash, she’s trash.
Granted that she can make a lot opportunities for her team but when do teams actually capitalize on this?
I’ve had games where I did back to back hacks on key targets but my team still couldn’t push in or get a pick. The only thing that guarantees a team to push is if you get a pick from the enemy team because it drastically reduces their effectiveness however Sombra ironically can’t pick a target reliably by herself unless you have T500 aim, in which case just go Widow or Tracer.

Sadly, we can’t have her damage increased because an “invisible Tracer” would be broken.

1 Like

The hipocresy is HUGE in this game

1 Like