The Sombra competitive experience

Picks Sombra. People in voice start to sigh.
Someone writes “gg” in chat.

After first round you get asked to switch to a real dps or hitscan (lol) regardless how great youre doing. Losing first point defense after getting headshot by a Hanzo you get " SOMBRA SWITCH NOW" in all caps.

Our Soldier who thought hes clever tries to flank and gets flashbanged by McCree and dies. “I think our Sombra needs to switch”
Whole team gets rolled, nobody is doing anything “lol a Sombra main who cant even play her, you suck”

One of my favorites " No Sombra we dont need elims, we need damage"

I find it always funny how if you go by this forum, Sombra is one of the most busted heroes in the game and needs nerfs to hack, but if someone actually picks her and you have her on your team, thats a huge no no.

62 Likes

The great Sombra irony.

All red Sombra’s are oppressive assassins murdering the backline, then hacking Rein and porting out. Plus EMP twice a fight.

Blue Sombra is throwing and needs to be reported by both teams. “JUST SWAP NOW!!”

50 Likes

Its a paradox. I cant take people who think like this seriously.
While i do think she needs some love from the devs, the complains you get by your teammates is obnoxious.

Scapegoating at its finest.

7 Likes

Sombra is and always has been trash tier. It’s because Genji mains find her unfun, so she’s never allowed to be good. It’s really dumb how much the devs pander to Genji players.

19 Likes

They think they need damage, but if you’re able to hack the right person, usually Rein, the enemy dies if your team follows up on the attack.

1 Like

Nobody complains about sombra high diamond and up since people start to know how to utilize her emp hacj
in lower rank you need try harder solo kills yourself with her or else team will flame you

24 Likes

Omfg… That is painful

How many heroes get to be regularly called a thrower and a carrier at the same time :smile:

26 Likes

maybe because you have to put a massive amount of hours into learning how to play genji and not throw, where as sombra you can pick up in 5mins or less.

people generally dont like sombra because you are making your team fight a 5v6 most of the time. fine if your team can pull that off but if the enemy are cutting through your frontline, maybe you need to be helping them with a different dps, sneaking around the backlines is not helping, no matter how many hacks or emps you get if there is no one to follow up.

1 Like

Happens to me a lot - I had a sombra game with 79 hacks 40 enemies empd and helped our diva get a 5k and 4k. we still lost and everyone (except our diva, who defended me) said I was throwing.

1 Like

I love how when your team is dominating with you as a Sombra, they cant say enough praise about the Sombra, and the enemy team cant say enough hate about you. But the second the team isnt functioning and losing, its always “omg Sombra sucks.”

1 Like

Sombra’s skill floor is significantly higher than Genji’s skill floor.
It’s incredibly easy to play Sombra badly, but that’s mostly down to how her kit is designed, you have to find a role that fits your playstyle and kinda brute force her into that role, then you gotta learn Hack priorities and when to switch those priorities depending on the situation, learn how to work around her various handicaps etc…

Genji though? His kit is easy to pick up and forgiving to play (hence why he’s one of the more popular heroes, next to him being a CYBUR NINJUH), everything has a straight-forward purpose and it’s very linear, all you really have to learn with Genji are his animation cancels and Deflect predictions.

Genji players hate Sombra because she’s the only counter he cannot just run away from.
You can Dash and wallclimb away from Winston, but Sombra? She brings them down to her level and they can’t handle it.

21 Likes

Playing DPS on competitive without using LFG-Feature is RUDE… On competitive you play TANK-SUPPORT or go quickplay… Now imagine playing sombra is like the more SELFISH act

1 Like

But have you seen a McCree + Sombra duo?
I don’t think I’ve ever felt sorry for an opposing team til I saw what a duo did to their tanks.

I love sombras as long as they call out their hacks and tell the team when theyre gonna emp. If they dont theyre throwing imo because she is such a vocal based hero. If sombra call out the hack, that hero can instadie, if she doesnt call it, its pointless

1 Like

This is what I get hate mail for playing Wrecking Ball, Mei, Junkrat, or Ashe.:thinking:

Sombra is really not ideal on the ladder say the least, but on other side if you just buff her she became too oppressive, too much hard cc.
I hate to bring up the rework solution, but she really needs it. Tuning down the cc and bring up the damage or buff other utility.

Genji is much easier to play than Sombra.

3 Likes

Sombra is horrifically bad at the rank most people play at. I’ve tried to work with Sombras, and tried to work around Sombras, and honestly the best strategy I’ve found to work with Sombra is:

1. Desperately plead with the Sombra to switch.
  2. If this doesn’t work, treat the Sombra player as a leaver and run two tanks, two DPS, and one support. Assume they will contribute very little aside from the occasional health pack and maybe an EMP.
  3. Probably lose.

I get that it’s not a terrible pick in masters/GM, but I’m not in Masters or GM. Here in Plat she has the lowest winrate in the game by a considerable margin. It’s a bad, bad pick and even playing a different hero worse would be an improvement.