The Salt Against Mercy is Real homies

7 straight season of mercy at and over 90% pickrate. Brain dead mechanics where everyone who mains her. Have to invent some made up “game mechanic” analogy. Trying to jusify how complex a brain dead character she is. On top of that she still incredibly broken

1 Like

That’s a lot of salt right there.

2 Likes

You’ve summarized the whole situation in just few words with a great example.

Ana can’t keep up with the healing output of Mercy and Moira because of all of the hurdles she needs to jump through in order to reach her max potential. I’ve gotten to 13k+ healing with Ana before on several occasions (and even my stats show that on Overbuff), but it was because my team was actually peeling for me and I went uncontested. If you miss sleep dart on a flanker you’re pretty much screwed unless you can land every shot in time.

1 Like

There is a problem with the rest of them, however-- only Mercy is capable of healing through barriers. It makes no difference outside of a teamfight, but once everyone starts fighting in a big ball, someone is going to die unless there’s a Mercy who can freely heal.

We can’t exactly nerf that, however, because that makes it like it was during triple tank-- it’s a war of attrition where poke damage is done until one team can successfully score the first pick. And at that point-- it’d be more advantageous to run deathball support and more than the standard number of tanks. AKA, another triple tank meta.

(don’t get me wrong, I love triple tank. HOWEVER, it would severely limit the hero pool.)

Supports and their viability have almost always defined metas indirectly based off of who was the most useful for their power. Nerfing Mercy makes other supports must picks, which shifts the meta and results into the same issue, just on different heroes. That kind of ‘diversity’ may be fun in the short run, but it isn’t sustainable for a competitive game.

Yeah, I just got insulted by a player for playing Mercy just on practice vs ai; No-one selected healer and I wanted to play as Orisa, but obviously I pick healer to fill, and I get a toxic soldier (their top played heroes are ‘dps’ heroes) saying ‘mercy main suck’, so I obviously chat back saying ‘If ‘mercy mains’ suck, then go healer yourself’, mainly because I wanted to play a different role, to get my hrs up on other heroes and they say ‘bad girl’ (probably thinking i’m a female mercy player, i dunno).

It ain’t a major argument thing, but it still irritated me, because I didn’t want to play Mercy, but I had to, because of ‘no healer’; these people are hypocrites https://imgur.com/a/ciQPj20.

Note: I couldn’t careless if Mercy is easy, or if anyone plays an ‘easy/hard’ hero and people whine about them, as long as they’re helping the team, I see nothing wrong and I commend them for it, instead of complaining about what hero they play.

2 Likes

I never suggested a nerf because i dont think she needs any, im just commenting on why i dislike mercy. You should know the difference between pressing a button and rezzing and having to hit a headshot to get a 1-shot kill, major skill cap difference. If theyre going to change mercy in any way, id rather bring back mass rez, as her ult, but max of 3 rezzes, and replace her E ability with flying for like 5 seconds.

This game is a FPS, not a FP… game. Honestly, if you dont want to play a shooter and just want a casual game, go find it, because i dont think Overwatch was ever “casual”. Everyone i have met dislikes casuals and even in quickplay picking off meta heroes will get you some pretty funny insults. They arent going to balance a game based off of casuals, it makes no sense.

Overwatch has always been a casual game. It intentionally launched with characters of various levels of skill and margins for error, and a bright, colorful aesthetic, both of which are good in attracted a wide audience. I mean heck, it didn’t even launch with comp mode because they arguably never intended for it to be like that.

The fact that it can be played with pinpoint accuracy at high levels doesn’t mean it is suddenly some sort of hardcore, exclusionary, Dark Souls venture.

I mean shoot, I can whoop you all at Pokemon Puzzle League. Doesn’t mean it’s magically anything more than a casual Tetris Attack reskin.

1 Like

True, but that’s part of her design, shes supposed to be mechanically intensive (that’s what makes her difficult as a support). Like I said, I play a lot of Ana, and to me I find her interesting due to this mechanical aim that you need to be effective with her, I also like Mercy due to her differences, and how mobile she is compared to Ana. The two are just different, that pose different challenges, and they’ve been designed as such.

I just don’t want all this complaining to nerf Ana’s mechanical skill, for her to heal teammates she already has a fairly big hit-box, so it’s not as hard as it is to damage enemies, I just don’t want her to be made even easier.

This is where I think you are wrong. Overwatch has plenty of heroes that are far easier (in-terms of mechanical skill) than your run of the mill call of duty style fps shooters. If Blizzard wanted to design this like other standard fps games, then we’d have more heroes like Widowmaker. Look at the support roster for instance, pretty much all of the heroes require limited mechanical aim, even Ana who is the most intensive one in the mechanical aim department has bigger hit-boxes to heal teammates up, which makes it a lot easier.

Also look at the tank roster, look at characters like Junkrat, even Hanzo with his spam now.

The real reason Mercy’s pick rate is high in matchmaking:

We need a healer, or we’re going to lose.

Off healers are great, but unless people can group up, work well as a team, and minimize the damage they take, we are going to need more healing output.

And they’re definitely not going to cut it if I end up solo healing.

Ok Moira has great healing output…but only if the party groups up and only for a relatively short amount of time. She’s on a resource, so my group will need to be able to function without constant heals.

Ok, so I need to be able to provide constant healing. That leaves me with Ana and Mercy.

If people are running around with minimal coordination, Ana is going to be a rough pick. I can be easily dove, I gotta hit my shots, and barriers are a real issue. Nano is amazing…but if not in a decently coordinated team it’s quite easy to waste.

Screw it, I’m picking Mercy.