🚫 "The polls show that the majority of the playerbase supports Role Queue."

Well yeah, I don’t think that either (then you’d actually see a higher ratio in favor of role queue). If you look at google trends, then role queue didn’t have any effect at all on the game’s popularity, neither positive nor negative (which raises other questions though).

There also might’ve been an exodus from QP and comp towards the arcade, but I doubt that Blizzard really cares about that, as long as the players stay in their game.

As I said, I didn’t know when the most recent polls were created.

In the end I was more spitballing on possible confounding factors than actually giving my own opinion on role queue itself.

Still, I’m cautious. Considering that role queue hasn’t had any positive effect on player activity either (if we consider google trends to be a valid proxy (source: Robotwizard)), I’m wondering whether the resources spent on developing it were actually worth it (and could have instead been used in other areas).

Look, I’ve always seen role queue as a pure band aid. It creates as many problems as it solves and in the grand scheme of things it wouldn’t change a thing. And it seems that my predictions were kind of met.

That’s your opinion. I know of no valid data to support the claim of a majority.

it is a reasonable proxy, for games where we have actual player numbers reported, we get a pretty close correlation with trends, which is why I use it.

I compared it to steam player numbers for a lot of games, and the ratios were almost always pretty close.

IF overwatch departed greatly from that trend, I’d be surprised.

I see what you did there

1 Like

You can’t hold that, AND THEN try to argue that the polls are invalid because they were answered mostly by the tanks / supports.

Like pick a side on that one. I’m going to have you argue that they are when talking polls and not for this.

1 Like

Well yeah, I’m not doubting it either. I’m just always adding that standard so people don’t accuse me of pulling stats and correlations out of my behind. And I got the idea from you, so I might as well mention you as a source.

Well thanks!

The data scientist in me is pretty happy to see such things.

1 Like

The polls aren’t invalid because they were answered mostly by tanks/supports. I don’t know who they were mostly answered by. That’s the point. There are several confounding factors. Any external poll leaves out the general playerbase, or the players who for whatever reason aren’t inclined to go outside of the game and vote in a poll. I can’t say definitively that tanks/supports have that mindset. That was just one theory.

Well, IF the polls are mostly tanks / supports answering them, then, obviously, they have a pretty strong preference.

If it isn’t then, you are back to a majority of the players just like roleQ regardless of their role.

I wouldn’t believe it myself since, ALL of the good parts of roleQ helps tanking / supporting in general, making it less horrible to play, and dumps the downsides on the DPS, giving them long long queue times.

are we really going to try and have the argument that fun is subjective, and that maybe long queue times are fun?

I’m not really sure that is a good argument to have.

Who cares what a poll said when it’s already in the game.

Yes, but again that may be a small minority of tanks/support players who are for whatever reason inclined to support role queue and vote in a poll external to the game, not taking into account all the support and tank players who are against it, who may be the majority of the playerbase.

I think that’s a subjective statement. I’ve seen support players state that they’re against Role Queue. I’ve never heard a person state that they enjoy waiting. Tank is my second most played role, and I prefer solo tanking to tanking with a second tank.

We could only interact with the small small subset of liquid water in the world which makes us wet, and the rest don’t have that set of properties.

But, like, we can’t base science on the assumption that the rest of water wouldn’t do so.

like, Occams razor cuts that one up pretty deep.

I think it is a pretty safe statement to make. Solo tanking is pretty bad, and there are very few tank players which have said anything good about it.

I too, have seen MegaDodo post.

I use it as a counter to “fun is subjective” like, if you think that you can dismiss an argument with it, then I can dismiss your arguments that queue times are bad.

(I know you are NOT making those arguments, but, people did over the Mercy thing changes in a big way). We lost a lot of Mercy / D’va players over the changes.

We had the ghetto threads, it was a pretty dark time.

Many more folks than myself have said such a thing

But not many.

Not many at all.

You liked solo supporting, and you vastly prefered new Mercy, you are on the far end of many many bell curves.

But, hey, we have scrapers for the forums, we have a bunch of natural language processing tools.

THAT can be answered.

Look at it this way. Some parts of the ocean have a high population of Tuna. You happen to take your sample from one of those parts, and not the parts with the high population of Salmon. You make the conclusion that there’s a higher population of Tuna fish in the entire ocean.

You can dismiss that I speak for everyone, sure. I, personally, don’t enjoy queue times. Some people do enjoy long queue times as they can, I don’t know, FFA against their friends.

It’s interesting that Jeff Kaplan would bother running a two month experiment if it was as clear cut as it just being “bad”. There are clearly people who enjoy solo tanking, as he mentioned.

Right, that happens, but, once you are having to say…

That is a LOT of weird stuff having to happen all at once to make it the case.

It should NOT be our default assumption.

Or to put it another way…

There shouldn’t be a default assumption at all. Nothing should be assumed until we get valid, reliable data.

3 Likes

Man, that darkness, it attacked him.

We no reason to suspect otherwise.

Trying to argue that we haven’t asked every single person in the game, and therefore can know nothing, is a pretty extreme step to take.

I see there’s some kind of analogy in your comic. Could you simplify it? I’m not following. Are you just trying to say we should believe the simplest explanation of things? Occam’s razor?

I see - but that’s not what I’m arguing.

1 Like

As a support player I hate Role que why you may ask well its simple… toxicity. The toxicity in this game whent up 100 fold when it was introduced and i will say i would rather have 5 DPS who are calm and collected because they could get into a match in less than 4 minutes than the DPS now that get so angry as soon as it lookms like were about to loose and then we have no way to coordinate

1 Like