🚫 "The polls show that the majority of the playerbase supports Role Queue."

I am aware of many (possibly all) such polls, but I am not aware of any valid data that supports the claim of a majority

5 Likes

role q was best thing that ever happened to this game.
i’d say no more on this matter , blizzard needs to know that theres people here that like it.

5 Likes

I disagree, IMO, Role Q has been the worst thing to ever happen to this game

7 Likes

What polls? Completed by 100 players ?
LMAO.

8 Likes

LFG was also described as a major success shortly after release, mind you. Blizzard always toots their own horn during the honeymoon phase of something and then immediately goes silent when that’s over.

The fact that ‘40 million players’ is the only official metric we have about player activity in this game should tell you enough.

2 Likes

Maybe 100 players, maybe same player with 100 IPs. Who knows.

3 Likes

This is a good take. What makes the notion of 222’s popularity so much stronger for me isn’t how big the response pools are but the fact that the results are largely consistent across platforms, contexts, and timeframes. We’ve repeated the experiment so often that we would expect to see some signal of opposition outside of anecdotes.

I’m glad someone did do a poll looking at role selection preferences, but this a single data point, and one I believe is dissimilar from results on other platforms.

Still, if we can get more feedback on what roles are preferred by respondents than it is possible for us to start determining how much we would need to correct other polls to account for respondent bias.

1 Like

If the polls are so clearly in favour of 222 and so legitimate, not just the same few people spamming the polls with different IPs to support their own agenda… then why are we seeing so much contention about it right now?

If the polls are 70/30 in favour of 2/2/2, how come I’m seeing so many people today who hate 2/2/2, with proRQ guys struggling to defend themselves against the overwhelming opposition.

I haven’t bothered counting actual posts and supporters but someone else can if they want.

1 Like

I like how this guy both created an Anti-Role Q post and a Pro-Role Q post. Hm, weird, must’ve been seeing things :clown_face:

Well, it’s also interesting that the same was observed with the addition of LFG. If you go back to the original thread where Blizzard commented on LFG’s success, you see the vast majority of posts praising it as the best thing since sliced bread. Now however…

I don’t know when the most recent polls about role queue have been held, but it wouldn’t surprise me if you’d see a similar pattern longer down the line. It also took a good year for LFG to really be considered dead.

Then there’s also the matter that role queue is more beneficial to tanks and support mains and also to all of them, whereas that’s not the case when it comes to balance changes (unless it’s more general balance changes like the armor nerf and even then some tanks were affected much more than others). If we assume that tank and support mains are overrepresented on forums (which is actually also something you can notice from frequenting the forums besides needing a poll, the meme ‘support good, DPS bad’ doesn’t come out of nowhere), it’s actually to be expected that something like role queue appears to be more popular than it is in reality due to the nature of the roles.

I found it interesting…
Interesting enough to build a scraper to for polls both on reddit, and here.

The idea that we can get such a strong signal from as many locations as we did, is interesting as hell.

About a month ago. Same result, same ratios.

The argument against THAT poll result when the thread came out was “all the people who hate roleQ have ALREADY LEFT!”

Which is why I usually show the google trends graph, because, it shows people haven’t left over roleQ.

The “Mass leaving of overwatch” never happened.

3 Likes

No. It doesn’t show that, because it’s entirely possible that equal numbers of people have left AND rejoined.

It’s entirely possible it did, and was compensated for by people coming back to the game.

2 Likes

This is a valid thought, but if the same thing were to happen to 2/2/2 role - queue as it did with the LFG system, then I really don’t think that polls concerning 2/2/2 created as recently as a couple of weeks ago would still show the same overwhelmingly positive response towards the system (opposite to what happened with LFG) if you ask me… :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Again, this is an interesting idea as well, but once again, despite the fact that we also have the worda of the developers themselves claiming that the majority of the game’s player base really enjoys 2/2/2 role - lock, if what you’re suggesting is true, then why would all this historically massive negative response against 2/2/2 occur in the first place from a social avenues like these Forums??

unlikely that there would be such a fine balance between the 2 sides. But hey, maybe it happened, and roleQ attracted a bunch of people to overwatch.

But, again, the simpler answer is, given the DPS queue times have NOT gotten any better is, the DPS just didn’t leave.

I would doubt that roleQ attracted only new DPS to the game. Given that DPS would be the ones leaving over roleQ

1 Like

That doesn’t mean they’re happy with Role Queue. It’s possible they just put up with it. It’s not enough to make them leave the game, but they dislike it.

This is pretty much what I think happened.

The DPS have no reason to like roleQ.

But the tanks / supports which outnumber them as a group, do.

If this is your reading of what happened, then I agree with it, BUT, because tank/supports as a group, when you add them all up, outnumber the DPS, then you would expect the majority to like roleQ.

And in such a case, Google Trends obviously wouldn’t account for that.

No, google trends is just showing we didn’t lose players over it - overall.

I think the DPS hate roleQ, but never left over it.

But the tanks / supports like it, and have stuck around more, thus the stabilizing of the overwatch population.

I see roleQ as a tyranny of the majority problem.

Tank / Supports like it, and all of the problems are externalised to DPS.

previously, oldQ had the reverse. DPS liked it, but the fillers / tanks / supports did not.

The game improves for the tanks / supports a little, at a big cost to the DPS.

Perfect example of tyranny of the majority

The line shows a steady decline in interest with just a short term spike. We can’t pinpoint Role Queue as the reason for the decline following the spike, but we can’t rule that out either.

I think there are both Damage players who do like Role Queue, as well as Support or tank players that dislike it, and flex players that dislike or like it. Queue times aren’t the only perceived negative. Furthermore, Support players are also adversely affected by queue times, just not as much.

Right, but you would expect a vast majority of supports / tanks TO like it, because solo tanking / supporting was pretty bad.

Flex players tend to not like it, because, they can’t flex over roles, but they were a small group.

Fillers which was a HUGE group, hated it, because they were, by definition, not playing the heroes they wanted to play.

roleQ comes out, and the fillers who historically played tanks / supports all join the DPS queue, and the queue times blow out.

OldQ, had a almost perfect 2-2-2 balance in pick rates.

But that was because of the filling population.

They didn’t need to fill, and thus DPS queue times.

But THEY are playing the heroes they want to play, the DPS - and getting to do so FAR more often than they did before.

Before roleQ, I clocked up 600 hours on support, and I’m an Ashe main now.