The Overwatch Empowerment Cup: A community pursuit of equity, inclusion, and competitiveness

If you think a video game tournament excluding a gender that’s dominated the scene for decades is anything like real segregation…

2 Likes

I guess. To be honest, it’s not something I’ve ever looked into, or even really thought about. I just assumed it was a thing because it was in “real” sports. Have there been any other women-only e-sports tourneys or is this the first?

1 Like

I think there have been women only teams. I’m sure some other games have done women only tourneys. Not sure if OW has ever done one before though.

3 Likes

Segregation can be fine if there’s a justifiable reason for it. Competitive integrity is probably the most common reason in sports/esports. Like age restrictions for example. It’s probably not a good idea to have 9 year old kids play vs college age soccer players lol. OWL and some tournaments probably have an age restriction too.

2 Likes

Basically an advanced form of weight classes lmao, but yes, that restriction simply does not exist in a digital format.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s hard for me to find a reason to separate players in a gaming format.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t go assuming things tbh.

1 Like

blizzard use diversion, it’s totally uneffective

1 Like

Alone the headline made me almost throw up… can we stop with the virtue signaling? Gaming is one of the fields in the world that is inclusive on its own (my experience). Overwatch is a prime example for that! No need for that kind of stuff to show that you care…

I hope this dont sound to bad. If so: because it is that bad of a take.

8 Likes

Have to agree with you, the tournament just screams PR stunt and not actually trying to fix any problems.

PR stunts increase revenue, hiring a moderating staff decreases revenue, thus here we are.

1 Like

“You know, Amy, anytime someone calls attention to the breaking of gender roles, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is an exception and not the status quo.” - Knuckles the Echidna

For some reason, I find this quote goes perfectly with this. Anyone else?

1 Like

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

This thread is proof of that.

1 Like

There is no rule banning women from OWL or other OW tournaments (my previous post was a rhetoric question) :man_shrugging:.

3 Likes

“Look everyone! We’re cool and trendy. We definitely aren’t out of touch and/or tone deaf…please?”

3 Likes

Told you you’d get roasted

1 Like

Ah, so all 12 women left playing OW had a tournament, good to know.

1 Like

I’m really going to cry if one of the better quotes I’ve heard about objectivity and normalizing to build inclusivity in the past 2 years is from a cartoon echidna in the fricking SONIC THE HEDGEHOG MOVIE.

I watched the first day of the cup and it was a lot of fun. These smaller events are important for a community, more than the corporate OWL with big brands.
The only odd thing I notized is the way they talk in these scripted segments with the message that they have it difficult. Korea has female starcraft cups for like 20 years now, with famous players like TossGirl. They are more professional about it.

All of these comments are not it.

It’s a community organized tournament to allow women to compete in Esports at a high level because they are often excluded from high level organized Overwatch play. Or when they do manage to get into high level Overwatch play, they are accused of hacking because ‘women can’t possibly be as good as men !!’ (ex. Geguri)

If a community led tournament meant to uplift and highlight people in the community who are often shunned/ignored from said thing bothers you guys, you need to take a long look in the mirror.

Also Blizz is not the one who made this they are simply promoting it. JUST like they did with Fran’s tournament, which was open to everyone. To everyone claiming they are doing this to “virtue signal” :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

What do they mean “other marginalized genders”, how many genders do they think there are? :thinking:

5 Likes