The Mercy Rework - Part 1: An Introduction

Cost of balance was fun and enjoyment. And game is better, when heroes like Brig work everywhere, not just in some very specific circumstances.

2 Likes

Balancing around the 1% means those who play at a lower skill levels have their heroes they love neutered. Brig and Orisa are garbage in metal ranks and itā€™s a shame no one cares.

This is a competitive game. Balance is priority. Had this not been a competitive game, it wouldā€™ve been different and probably more fun to be honest. Like a lot more. But it isnā€™t. Brig should not have been able to 1v1 tanks to begin with

Because balancing around low elo is a recipe recipes disaster. This is what people donā€™t take away. If they were to balance around being ā€œFunā€ they would have to balance around the idea that if everything is broken nothing is, something that does not work in a competitive environment. Balance is more important than Fun, had this game never had a competitive mode, this would be different. But thatā€™s not the case. So balance is center stage

Yes, she is, good pickrate across all tiers and a positive winrate, she is fine.

Back then you also saw a difference between burst heals and total throughput, but today theyā€™re basically synonymous.

This is the direct result of there being an increasingly tiny window where heal levels were neither overpowered or insufficient. Ana was just adjusted to fit in this space. To widen that window there needs to be more variance in both the intended and empirical survivability of viable team comps.

When making plays, if two characters are consistent, they may struggle to get enough value. If theyā€™re both inconsistent, they may not synchronize to full optimality, even at the highest levels. This is why you see synergies usually have one inconsistent character and one consistent character.

True to some extent, but it was mostly AoE heal creep. Right now AoE heals will easily outdo beam juggling and also typically free the user to do other things. We could just make Mercyā€™s beam stronger to make up for it, but between current burst heals and AoE heals, there isnā€™t much of a niche left for single target heals except to (soft) pocket something and operate at a different position than the rest of the team.

Being a main healer doesnā€™t inherently make juggling better, even if it is one of the necessary components. Youā€™d probably have to make it necessary through mechanics or external factors like the amount of damage being thrown around.

Sorry dude. If he said heā€™s wrong because plays on console that is a counter-argument and an opinion. Iā€™m not into arguing definitions.

It helps a lot. Yes, overbuff/leaderboard data can give you an idea about the current meta and balance but an idea is all it can do. The data is very flawed in a lot of ways. That said, there is a huge amount of information of data you canā€™t get from overbuff, and sorry to say without playing the game, you canā€™t have a good grasp of balance vs someone that doesnā€™t. That said, I use both and understand the flaws in both. As with the streamer part, I think thatā€™s an issue your projecting on to me.

Their opinion can be good but also could be extremely bais and on top of this having a controversial opinion will actually get more views and make their money. Any normal person knows this and understands how to take their opinion in context. That way you can get useful information from it. I think you forget their entertainers first and read more into what they say. (based on your 2 vids)

Personally, I stopped arguing with you because you seem to care more about your ego than a solid argument and you were saying things that were illogical.
Like with this thing you highlighted with me. In the video, you wanna spend so much time explaining how you got to GM to support your argument and how pointless rank/playtime. When I call out FFirebrandd for doing that thing you defend him saying itā€™s not an argument, itā€™s clear you donā€™t even care about the arguments you make.

Either way, I really have made my point. Iā€™m not too fussed if you agree or not (well Iā€™d be stupid to think youā€™d agree with how one-sided you are). That said, let me highlight why youā€™ll achieve nothing with all this but outside of stroking your own ego by quoting something you said in the second video.

ā€œI was 14 and writing more eloquently and comprehensively than developers themselvesā€
First, if you want to change maybe donā€™t insult those that you want to convince. Secondly, If you need 24 pages to put an argument across that isnā€™t eloquent in any way. Sure Iā€™ll give you were more comprehensive about expressing your opinion but how much of that is wasted information? Wanna know, why devs donā€™t make 24-page posts, because they keep to context and talk purely about the topic and the game and donā€™t fill their posts with soft insults to streamers and devs.

If a dev made a 24-page post explaining the balance of mercy, they would be told to stop wasting their time on the forums.

PS. If you think you can write better than everyone in a professional environment at 14 itā€™s delusional unless you have some kind of degree at writing or published work at 14? it also shows how much you value your ego over the content.
Also, I donā€™t think there is anything wrong with you making big posts outside the important information could be lost but donā€™t use your page/word count to insult people.

If I just wanted to show how little you understand everything and move I could of just done this when you said.

First statement shows how little you understand the game.
If people have to counter ult and ult. It means it has a lot value. (The any ult isnā€™t true but I wasnā€™t gonna go into that cause Iā€™m sure you were just being emotional there)

Second, you think nad has more impact once youā€™ve lost an ally than valkā€¦ ok. Most people know thatā€™s wrong and itā€™s such a one-sided statement it clear you care more about proving Ana > Mercy to the point youā€™ll lie. You do understand you can make that argument without lying? I could and it would be pretty solid.

Anyway, good luck with stroking your ego or to vent. Itā€™s pretty clear you donā€™t want change with how onesided you are, how you insult dev, how you rather talk about your rank than the issue.

Iā€™ll add, my goal isnā€™t anything pure either I just enjoy a good debate (even though this isnā€™t really a good one cause how fast it went to insults and lies). That said my original intention was just to give some feedback but you wanted to be right so you explained in flawed detail why I was wrong and I love a debate!

Speak for yourself, I would personally read the hell out of it.

You are telling a top 500 player that they donā€™t understand the gameā€¦
Let that sink in for a momentā€¦ I think they have well proven that they do understand the game.

Anyway, analysts work off stats all the time, they are WAY better than anecdotal stuff.

And Titanium does both. Understands the stats, and plays at the highest level of play. When they talk, I for one will listen.

??? You can say, force out ults. That is value. if it leads to your next fight being won, it had value surely.
If you gave the enemy team less ult, that is value.
If you get your team back into the fight faster afterwards, that is value.
If you stopped some of the enemy team getting into a fight afterwards, that is also value.

Like, there is a reason, people are puppy pileing you on this one. You just are not getting this right.

3 Likes

This I can admit Iā€™m wrong on. As written you are right. My point was in the context of each fight and I worded it badly. If you wanna put that in the context of a game yep 100% wrong. I should have written itā€¦

Every action in the game that was used in a game doesnā€™t get value but when used they do and only measuring it based on when itā€™s active is the best way to measure value.

Top 500 thingā€¦ I donā€™t care Iā€™m talking about the context of his statement. If you wanna say his statement is better cause heā€™s top 500 cool. Iā€™ll just say heā€™s top 500 on 1 hero out of 20+ and itā€™s flawed. Personally, I donā€™t need or care about that form of logic, I retorted with it because someone else sunk to that level and highlight how little he cared about building a logical arguement.

Very debatable.
First and foremost, if games are not made with the intent of being fun, then they would just rot in the shelves. The best games are called classics and so because they are fun on fundamental levels. And this is still as important for comp games.

Before anyone should start to think about balance, they have to think about how fun something is and if itā€™s fair (Fair ā‰  Balance).

Im just looking at Smash Bros, in which the ā€œif everything is broken nothing isā€, works insanly well. Every Fighter is 100% fun to play and you can out play everything with everything, which means itā€™s fair. The only issue here is balance, but the Dev team can mostly ignore that since the game is fun and fair nonetheless.
And we are talking about a game with a very active and skilled comp scene here too.

I agree that they should not listen to lower level players if it comes to balanceā€¦ But if itā€™s about the Char being fun or fair, these 99% of the player base are the most important feedback source.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe in fairness in PvP, as my playstyle usually based on using ā€œunfair tacticsā€: using teammates as meatshields, being stealthy and evasive, sneaking into enemyā€™s position for surprise attacks and avoiding direct engagements.

Issue in Overwatch is in attempts to let only specific role use such ā€œunfair tacticsā€ and punishing other roles for it.

Targeting supports, for instance, is unfair tactic - no one usually turns around to protect them, and they canā€™t simply stop supporting their team without risk of front line collapsing. But we got multiple heroes, that are designed just for that.

Sustain stacking is another unfair tactic - you unfairly make player win, even while one got zero capability to win on their own, by massively overbuffing their defense. Yet itā€™s suddenly a problem. Even while it allows to make game fair and fun for someone, who doesnā€™t have enough skill to survive otherwise.

Itā€™s a good thing I wasnā€™t ever talking about balance then, isnā€™t it?

You legit said mercy is stronger on PC. Thatā€™s balance, my friend. Just to keep you derailing about balance.

You callouted someoneā€™s experience to devalue there point while you havenā€™t played in 2 years.

More quotes of you talking about balance in the same discussion ā€¦

You replied to this as wellā€¦

So yea wanna lie again go for it.

This ā€œhugeā€ amount of data youā€™re referring to isnā€™t huge at all. The only real data you can get from playing the game is your own data. Aka, your personal experience.

Why do you think we mostly use Overbuff to gauge how balanced the game is? Because the sample size is big enough for us to generalise to the entire Overwatch playerbase. Meanwhile, you canā€™t do that with just your personal experience.

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll admit I forgot that I made those two off hand comments. Most of what Iā€™ve said in this thread has nothing to do with balance. That is in fact an accurate statement.

Wasnā€™t the point of this argument because of forum users that say ā€œBut whatā€™s your rankā€ or "In (insert rank here) people donā€™t know how to play the game) or ā€œBut the game is balanced around the ā€œ5%ā€ā€.

Their point was probably to say look I know how to play the game and the hero Iā€™m in this high rank. If they didnā€™t include that in their video theyā€™d get asked for their rank in the replies regardless or get ranked shamed if the person wants to assume theyā€™re ā€œhardstuckā€.

See (not to be that person because I personally canā€™t care less about ranks) but when people make arguments like this one they usually get bombarded with ā€œbut what rank are you, I bet youā€™re in goldā€ and then they proceed to explain how they play the game at their elo.

Iā€™m not saying everyone should just throw their ranks in when they talk balance, but Iā€™m saying thatā€™s why I mainly stay out of the balance discussions most of the time (because it becomes a measuring contest really fast).

Basically this argument is flawed out of the forums context but when you put it in context you can clearly understand why said argument is made.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying over buff vs my personal data. Iā€™m saying using both is better than using one. The reason you canā€™t use over buff to judge the balance of the game is solely because you canā€™t capture the context in averages.

A basic example is how winrate can get inflated by niche heroes because people switch off or on these heroes when they good/bad.

Another thing is the context of player synergy for example bap Lucio winrate may increase as rein is buffed it doesnā€™t mean bap is OP.

You really need player experience for this or at least watch a lot of overwatch.

Sorry to burst your bubble Titanium, but I think Mercy is fine at the moment and I think most people would agree with me on that.

1 Like

If thatā€™s what youā€™re saying, then this makes no sense:

In your first sentence, you essentially say that both can exist on their own and be valuable (which I pretty much disagree with when it comes to personal experience but whatever) but then you say Overbuff stats need personal experience to be useful.

You can 100% gauge how balanced the game is by looking at Overbuff alone. Especially if youā€™ve played Overwatch before. It would be a different story if the person in question never played the game whatsoever but they clearly did play it enough to comment on the balance. At that point, who cares if they didnā€™t play for 2 years?

They still have stats to go by, donā€™t they?

Well I agree with this but not for the reason you think.

Winrate is an incredibly poor metric to determine balance. As Titanium explains well:

This however does not make Overbuff suddenly useless if you donā€™t play the game regularly. For instance, when Mercyā€™s rework was launched you defo didnā€™t need to play the game to see how OP Mercy was.

You couldā€™ve either just took a glance at her new kit in the patchnotes or you wouldā€™ve just went to Overbuff and saw her pickrate skyrocket and stay close to 100% for months.

Yep, I totally donā€™t care about winrate. If their pickrates were high enough to say they were in META though, Iā€™d argue that either theyā€™re slightly overpowered or other heroes are too underpowered.

To determine the above all Iā€™d do is look at the patch notes.

You donā€™t need any personal experience to watch gameplay now do you?

1 Like

I stand by both statements.

ā€œThe reason you canā€™t use over buff to judge the balance of the game is sole that you canā€™t capture the context in averages.ā€
and
ā€œIā€™m not saying over buff vs my personal data. Iā€™m saying using both is better than using one.ā€

And Iā€™d disagree withā€¦
You can 100% gauge how balanced the game is by looking at Overbuff alone. (Iā€™ll ignore the 100% cause no person can gauge the balance of the game 100%. The proof is how OWL teams have changed metas without patches which could have never been predicted)

As an idea on the whole potentially but as soon as you get to hero balance without understanding the context you canā€™t tell if a hero is powerful or not (unless theyā€™re broken ofc).

For example, yes a maxed-out pick rate can show a hero is meta but does not show how overpowered/balanced they are because of hero synergy.