The "Devs don't play their own game" claim

Devs might play their game, but like 2-3 games a week. Nobody there is really investing a lot into the game. If you play any game just for a bit on the side the flaws of it wont ever be apparent.

I play 2-3 games a week, I feel the game seems to be in a pretty good spot. I play any more than that and the game is terrible.

I know i’ve heard OWL players in the past mention how blizzard approached their teams for their suggestions on balance.

Papa J would have you know he’s a tank main and he has clocked in thousands of hours playing OW and he can burnt you with a thousand suns.

They do play their own games, it s just also their job to artificially boosting some certain players who/ranks so that they can keep everyone happy for a short while, and they have to do this rotation of meta to make sure everyone feels he/she matters.

And it means sometime you have to throw balance and common sense out of the window, upsetting some players and try to appease them again in a couple of months.

This of course is just my conjecturation and no claim on authenticity. But that s what I would have to do if it’s my job to keep earning money for my company and share holders.

When we actually get to “their” future, they probably will break something else for the “next” future

Destiny 2’s Crucible was mocked because of the regression it had from Destiny 1’s Crucible. While I liked the slower “Halo” vibe D2’s Crucible offered at launch, it’s now straight D1’s Crucible with different Supers.

Valve has released more patches in the last year for CS:GO than they have in the two decades of Counter-Strike as a franchise.

Riot has 3 (maybe more) separate character development teams. The reason the game constantly has balance issues is that they’re making characters that carve out their own niche.

I proved to you twice.

This is an absolutly TERRIBLE idea

OWL players have a direct financial interest in keeping the game balance broken in favour of the heros they play, and dumpstering everyone else

They are literally the last people you can trust

4 Likes

This is a dumb take. I doubt you’ve even listen to tier 1 & 2 player’s thoughts on the game if you think this. Most OWL players are complaining about how stale the tank meta is and how busted it is that Reaper keeps his GOATs era buffs even tho GOATs is impossible and that Mei keeps multifreeze from quad tank.

It’s embarrassing how in the OW community you have low tier players thinking they know more than people who know the game inside out.

Technically, it’s not just the heroes they play.

It’s also the heroes they hate feeling any effects of mid-match.

This is a dumb take as well.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 players needlessly killed Sombra because it affected their games the most. The literal top 0.0000001% of matches. The rest of us mere mortals do not feel the effects of an oppressive Sombra, and yet we’re forced to deal with her nerfs?

This is never about low tiers thinking they know more than the high tier players, this is about low tier players demanding that the game have a somewhat reasonable balance in the low tiers.

Games that have a successful playerbase with short queue times acknowledge they have to balance around the top middle echelon, right ahead of the bell curve. In League, that’s Gold. In CS:GO, that’s Single AK. In Halo 3 and GoW2, it was the 40’s.

Pro play is supposed to organically develop from that. It shouldn’t be the other way around.

4 Likes

I think the opposite. I think they do play their own game, a lot. In fact I think they think they play their own game so much that they believe their own internal testing is enough to set good balance.

I would actually prefer devs who didn’t play their own game to that.

Not only that, but bias in favor of the heros they like to play is inevitable.

Explains a lot, eh?

That’s actually a good point.

Think of how many times the game has had a public testing phase where new ideas were tested, and changed out for a new mechanic instead in the same PTR cycle.

• That’s like… Mercy’s Valkyrie testing phase only.

Now think of how many times the developers have basically said “we’re testing this internally, sit tight”.

• That’s literally every other event patch.

Now think of how many times Kaplan and other developers have gaslit players for not jumping on PTR and testing it out, saying that players need to give it time (which they, misconceivably, believe is necessary to understanding the ramifications of new balance changes, when many obvious changes are felt immediately).

• Every time we have a dry spell
1 Like

It’s not even that. Even if they are truly altruistic in balance, it will create imbalances because there is no possible way that their internal player base is balanced compared to the community. Their “control group” is highly biased by it’s very nature.

3 Likes

jeff papa blame ow2 was the problem, but since when ow2 is in development, do you remember dive meta?, people go tired after that meta, them come fortnite, people just quit the game, is a fact, plat and diamond are the same player all over again, since they refuse to nerf genji, tracer, winston and dva properly without making them useless, we are in the state that is the game right now, everyone is powercreepter more at the level of dive meta, and now apparently they “will” get a nerf, and back of them, dva, genji, tracer and winston got a buff again, why?, we gonna enter in the same cicle again, and them that is, people will just out of this game forever, ow2 dont gonna save anything if they still remain totally off of their audiencce and making poor balance/hero design, brig, doomfist.

1 Like

Of course they don’t!

How else would crap like Moira, Hanzo, Mei, Tracer, and the numerous cheap, lackluster, dodgy, bad, whatever, whatever, things get past a person who played it for more than a minute.

It seems like a lot of the game started out, was, is or has become a series of “hey, d’ya know what’s a silly, fun little idea?” and/or “wouldn’t it be goofy if?” monents given traction churned out to be fixed later (maybe?), without no thinking of why some of it is a bad idea, or whether some of it should be done different, or – ugh, whatever, I can’t even be bothered trying to put into words why I think they don’t think too hard or don’t care if something should or shouldn’t be done, or how said things could work or be implemented differently whilst keeping the concept intact.

TL;DR: Painfully obvious they don’t.

1 Like

I don’t remember when you ever did that.

Probably because it was a while ago, or I didn’t paid attention.

When they got called out by a Doomfist main about the glitches and he proceeded to list pages of evidence then several things were proven.

1. They either don’t play their own game or at best play a minimal amount.

2. They sure as hell don’t test PTR extensively enough when broken stuff goes through on a consistent basis.

3. the job layoffs and cuts have been having an effect to them just not being able to deliver quality content.

1 Like

They’re also the people who understand the games mechanics the best out of everyone else…

game testers are not gods, lots of things slip past them. esp if u play the same game 8 hours a day. after a while u learn to expect certain things even tho they should be unexpected. this does no mean they dont extensively test things.

imagine playing (in your case ill say Fortnite) all night long with ur frens. then u go to work (i know this part a stretch bear with me) in the morning and have to play OW for 8 hours and tell people whats wrong with it. thats wat the average game tester goes thru. give them a break.

be like that doomfist testing guy. help out. dont scream and point fingers.

Perhaps one of really odd examples was Moira’s ability to heal through shield with her spray. That ability did exist in release game for a while, then, out of nowhere - “it’s bug, we are removing that”.

Like, seriously? Something as noticeable as that went past internal testing, then past PTR, made it into release and stay there for a while, and out of nowhere it’s a bug?

You forgot to mention that they are putting all their resources into overwatch 2 which no one asked for. Which leads the 4 people still working on overwatch to really get behind on anything.