The cowboy change isn't made for you or for twitter

It’s for the dev team itself. They don’t want to be working on a character that reminds them of the :fire: :poop: :wastebasket: that used to work down the hall.

They have no financial incentive to change it, and can very clearly get away with it given how many people don’t want the change, which leaves the dev team as the only real reason behind doing this. So complaining about catering to SJWs isn’t going to do much because that wasn’t the point of the change to begin with.

82 Likes

And this right here is enough for me to walk.

The voices against it are OVERWHELMINGLY LOUDER than the group that’s okay with this.

13 Likes

This is the only valid reason I can sympathize and be fine with a name change.

If the name was disrupting the OW’s team work and creativity, then it’s a good step forward. Keep in mind we, the public, are not aware of every detail that went on in the scandal. Jesse Mccree could of did more degenerate details that we aren’t privy to.

26 Likes

Why does the entertainment of fans matter more to you than the mental wellbeing of Blizzard employees?

26 Likes

The most popular choice is not always the best choice.

13 Likes

It doesn’t hurt anyone, if anything it helps.

2 Likes

Look, I care about the employees. I also know for a fact that nobody is quaking at their desk because of a paper-thin reference.

The character and the employee have literally /nothing/ in common but that name.

If they at least kept McCree and got rid of Jesse, I could take that. But I’m not in favor of dropping a 5 year old name because a jackass did bad things.

Nor is overriding the majority in favor of a minority the best move.

5 Likes

The devs who didn’t want to constantly work with an embodyment of the worst aspects and history of the company they work at should’ve considered what renaming a video-game cowboy would do to ME.

20 Likes

“Oh look it’s that character with a new name, I sure can’t remember the name he had for 6 years. I guess nothing interesting happened regarding that character”

You can believe people are stupid but they aren’t that stupid.

7 Likes

“Look, I care about the employees. But I don’t care about the employees.”
As someone who actually has had enough trauma to give them PTSD, that event haunts me every day of my life. Every. single. day.

The truth is that as has been reported, many victims of the abusers were moved to different teams and/or projects. That includes the Overwatch Team.
It’s also important to note the structural layout of Activision-Blizzard Headquarters in Irvine, California.

The offices for different games are all in the same complex.
The abusers could very well move from place to place with ease, especially given their high-ranking positions.

This is not a coincidence. It was stated outright by Blizzard that the character’s name was chosen specifically to reference the abuser, prior to the abuse being widespread.
Naming your child “Adolf” because it sounds cool with no exposure to the Holocaust is very different from someone naming their child “Adolf” because they want to pay homage to the namesake.

Then shut up.
Because it’s not been said anywhere whether they are changing his first name, his last name, or both. This is an HR move, not a PR one. This change is for the abuse victims to remove the constant reminder, which as someone with PTSD myself, is very much a thing you notice.

17 Likes

If its for the employee’s mental health then I would be fine, but at this current time we do not know if this is the main reason for the name change.

It could be a PR move or mixture of both.

2 Likes

That’s seriously very doubtful tbh. They named the character out of negligence. Then the State opened up an Investigation. Now we have them attempting to Save Face via DELETING a Name from the Game. All while the rumors of Blizzard are the Company also losing its own Identity just like McCree and being forced to change their Name too to Insight.

It’s not about the Devs. It’s not about the Victims. It’s not about Right vs Wrong.

This is not a situation that can be remedied via placing all the blame upon the real life McCree & deleting the name of the in game McCree.

That’s because they’re a bunch of whiny entitled little children who don’t care about anyone but themselves. It’s always the same when something is changed or removed to be considerate to someone else. All they can think about is how it impacts them, even though the impact is often inconsequential.

I haven’t seen any compelling reason for why McCree’s name needs to remain the same. Just “It’s been that way all along and I like it”. I like it too, but it’s always going to be associated with the real McCree and not only is that a bad look for the game, I doubt that’s a great feeling for his victims who may still have to work on the character.

7 Likes

Nah, it’s for PR

6 Likes

If they come forward and say Jesse Mccree the dev was a sexual abuser /bad behavior person, sure.

As long as they keep dodging that key fact and use vague terminology, they’re kinda being like the HR department.

Right now the only thing we have about Mccree is one screenshot on a guy chat. One sentence.

Come forward and say what he did to get sacked by blizzard. As long as we’re talking about Activision-Shredding, we should at least require a modicum of proof that allows us to think they’re doing the right thing this time, and not sacking people because it will make the company look better.

2 Likes

As an attempted rape victim, this changes nothing. Nobody should not care about his name. Everybody should care about getting the aggressors in jail because, right now, people are ignoring the fact that this is a civil lawsuit - not a criminal lawsuit. Everybody’s focused on changing a fictional character’s name - an action that SHOULD MEAN NOTHING to the victims - and not on the fact that Activision was destroying evidence and, legally, the men responsible won’t get jail time for their crimes.

10 Likes

The McCree change is most likely there to give Blizzard some positive PR, so that people like you can think “gee, I think Blizzard’s really going to change this time!” and so blizzard can go back to being under the radar.

Blizzard was caught destroying evidence related to this sexual harassment case; do you really think they care about the dev team when they’re doing stuff that can deny justice for them?

10 Likes

A better message would’ve been like “we’re getting everyone involved who requests it therapeutical help and we’ll pay for it.” Like this would’ve been an actual meaningful thing they could’ve done.

Changing a game character does nothing. The problems are not gonna go away. Fix the person. Not the bystanders around them. Especially when the bystanders have nothing to do with the criminals outside of a dumb name.

4 Likes

If they despised him and bothers them,

They wouldn’t ask to use his name for a videogame they’re working on, now wouldn’t they?

“I also know for a fact that nobody is quaking at their desk because of a paper-thin reference.”

You literally don’t know that as a fact though, that’s something you pulled from thin air. That’s called an assumption, not a fact. There’s no way any of us can know for a fact how much it affects the employees that work there until they come out with their own statements. It doesn’t matter how much in common real and fake McCree have, they share the same exact name which would be enough to send most trauma survivors into a state of panic. And no I’m not talking about the gamers, I’m talking about the employees.

“If they at least kept McCree and got rid of Jesse, I could take that.”

Okay, but they’re not doing this for you. They’re doing it for the victims. That wouldn’t be enough of a change for them, the ones it was done for.

“But I’m not in favor of dropping a 5 year old name because a jackass did bad things.”

Well guess what? He didn’t just do bad things. He did horrible things. If it hurts your feelings that they changed a character’s name in a video game, how do you think the victims felt coming into work everyday knowing they were going to be sexually harassed? Why does that not matter at all to the people crying about the name change? I myself have been sexually harassed at work before and I can tell you first-hand that all I ever wanted was for him to just go away forever. How dare you, and the rest of the people complaining about the name change, oppose giving the victims the solace of never having to hear his name again. Disgusting.

This entire situation is only exposing the sociopaths and immature man-children of the community.

I hate to break it to you, but how the victims feel about it is 100% more important than how you or anyone else feels about it. Period.

3 Likes