The cowboy change isn't made for you or for twitter

this Mcree fiasco is obscuring the worst offender, Afrasiabi. at this point people just seem to think that IRL Mcree is the main perpetrator, it seems.

What the media and twitter can do to build people perception nowadays is scary. They tend to focus on things that can bait gullible people to sensationalize the issue rather than targeting the actual mastermind. Because sensational news is the one filling the media wallet.

4 Likes

Based on what numbers? These forums? Twitter? Your own anecdotal evidence?

Perhaps your perceptions are what they are because the people that don’t care are playing the game or talking about other topics rather than complaining on the forums.

Trying to clean up the name of the company seems like a pretty solid initiative. :thinking:

1 Like

They need to grow up a bit. Functional adults should be able to parse out their feelings for a video game character that happens to share the name of real person they dislike.

1 Like

Functional adults should be able to go to work without sexually harassing people.

Functional adults should not be drunk at work.

Functional adults don’t act like college frat boys all day.

Functional adults should see when a behavior is unacceptable and curb it, especially if they’re in a senior position.

But clearly it’s the victims that should be functional adults and just endure it every day, right?

8 Likes

So we are confirming that the issue then is not Jesse’s name, but the problem of a lack of functional adults? Great, I appreciate the back up.

3 Likes

And why should the majority be catered to, just because they are the majority? The majority just means the most people. The opinion of the majority isn’t synonymous to correct, morally right, smart, or healthiest decision.

Also, the disagreers will always be loudest with people fine with the change, because people who are against have something to say. The people who want the change have NOTHING to say because they don’t need to say anything. The closest thing is telling people to stop overreacting to the change.

Not to mention people kneejerk reacting to this because they only look at things from thier point of view and would be best for their interests and the companies

1 Like

Okay, the next time something traumatic happens to you I hope you get told to just “grow up a bit”. Don’t even try to act like you understand what they went through because you already proved that you don’t. You know what a functional adult can also do? Empathize with other human beings. Do you think the stuff that went on there was at all functional?

The issue is the complete lack of understanding coming from the community. The issue is people like you who shrug off what happened as something that someone can just easily get over as long as the guy gets in trouble. Rapists and murderers go to jail for their crimes, but do their victims automatically feel better afterwards? No. You need to create a safe and welcoming environment to encourage healing. Which is literally what Blizzard said they’re trying to do.

5 Likes

Simple fact: you have no idea “what they went through” but are presuming it was some terrible crime and horrible things that quite frankly are probably far worse in your mind than reality. Empathy is fine, but you are also expected to think and make distinctions on what is really an issue and what is not. What’s amazing is how many fail to see what an obvious PR ploy this really is about.

Empathy untampered without reason and limits is just foolish. Unpopular opinion these days but its demonstrably true.

I know people who have suffered REAL tragedies in the world, and they would look at you like you were crazy to get upset over a video game character having the name of someone you didn’t like or had issues with because… it’s just petty in reality.

1 Like

First of all, we have no factual information about Jesse Mccree the developer doing any wrongdoing.

The same blizzard HR that failed all these women may be overcompensating and failing people pointed by the general mass. Generally, the good PR move is to drop the things that have drama surrounding them.

We have zero verification that Jesse Mccree the dev did anything of the sort, yet people assume it because: 1. he’s been fired, 2. they’re changing cree’s name.

That’s all. People are taking this initiative as a proper cleansing of blizzard when we have reports that blizzard HR has been destroying evidence. But hey, trust them this time despite the fact no one has personally accused the Jesse Mccree dev (that I know of)

2 Likes

Lets see here… millions of fans that love Jesse McCree and his name or the dev team that could just consider his name his own and realize its just a name, and a very fitting name at that for one of Overwatch’s most iconic characters. I don’t care what excuse you have to justify them wanting to change it. The truth is a LOT of people love McCree as he is and do NOT want his name to change at all. It does nothing but piss off a LOT of McCree fans who don’t want this.

2 Likes

Hey buddy I do have a faint idea what they went through, if you read what I said earlier I mentioned I also have experienced sexual harassment at work. Though in your defense I’ll go off the assumption you just didn’t see it. I completely disagree with your statements. Just because somebody else might be suffering worse elsewhere doesn’t mean that what the employees went through wasn’t absolutely horrible.

There’s no such thing as “real” tragedy because it’s completely suggestive. What’s considered tragic to one person can be seen as completely overblown to someone else, as demonstrated on these forums.

It’s your opinion that the name change is unnecessary but at the end of the day it’s not up to you to decide how it affects others. You’re free to believe that it’s dumb, but I’m also free to believe that that’s in really poor taste.

Good for them, I am proud that they were able to make this creative decision without being fettered by anyone else’s opinion.

1 Like

You’re correct we don’t, however let’s not kid ourselves here. The evidence is there.

Nobody is trying to justify Blizzard’s actions, at least I’m not anyway. Them burning evidence upsets me on a very deep level. However the argument isn’t “is Blizzard being shady?” it’s “why should they change McCree’s name?” To which you can refer to my older post. I really don’t care so long as it’s being done for the good of the employees.

I’m still going to call him McCree in-game as it’s what I’m used to. I’m sure tons of others will as well. Nobody is trying to take that away.

Wish we had just ONE individual saying that dev was inappropriate in any way.

Until then, no transparency blizzard strikes again, focusing the people outed on screenshots and photos.

But we must assume it is a deep tragedy affecting people constantly without even a statement? Not buying that one. These adults are not suffering daily because a video game character has a particular name, balderdash.

And as for the last statement, typical. I will just declare an opinion that I can’t really refute as “poor taste” :roll_eyes:

Please continue imagining you sit on a high road here, you really don’t.

1 Like

We’re in the age of rewrite/erase history , because of association. Remember that one wrestler who murdered his whole family? Few do.

1 Like

You know it’s just a name. But if you want to quit over it then good riddance.

2 Likes

and this is why they should apply: “This world and its characters are purely fictional, any resemblance to real world people are purely coincidental…” philosophy.

We are all human and make huge mistakes that would cancel us sooner or later. No doubt everyone here has said or done something that would be a no no. we just lucky we not part of something big.

3 Likes

YOu mean McCree. I will write and say MCCree everytime i get oportunity.

1 Like