The Case For The Removal Of Role Queue

The bi-daily hulk “2-2-2 bad” thread, fourms just wouldn’t feel right without ya here mate :+1:

28 Likes

You probably wasted 4 hours of your time typing this just for people to say they dont care.

27 Likes

omg your overwatch is so CRINGE dont post that on the forums

and to removal of role q:

no

14 Likes

Players wanted a role with queue because they were sick of playing as the only tank or only healer, or/and they were sick of often being peer pressured into playing a role they don’t enjoy.

Solo tanking and solo healing sucked, and it was common. It felt like volunteering to be a punching bag, and your alrady-slim pickings for heroes in the relevant categories narrowed down to only 1 or 2 heroes.

33 Likes

The sudden u-turn was a building census between the community. The game sucked with GOATS. Triple tank was obnoxious and difficult to deal with even before GOATS showed up.

The building problem came to a head when GOATS was literally the only meta. They wanted to do away with triple tank for good.

Even players like myself who fell asleep watching dive over and over, were more entertained by dive than GOATS.

Ladder actually had a diversity in tanks, when there were tanks. More often than not, it was 4 dps. Yeah. Even with a tank player ON TANK like myself, we still had 4 dps.

Community uproar was at an all-time high before they implemented it. Everyone was sick of the matches where it would be DPS vs GOATS. DPS vs Dive. DPS VS DEE PEEE ESSS.

So they killed them all.

They basically installed traffic lights so people would stop crashing into eachother.

11 Likes

Yet another spam topic containing arguments that have been REPEATEDLY countered.

Keep to one topic and actually answer people’s arguments please.

Which of the 2 modes is the best though?

Which one SHOULD you play?

If there’s a best one, why does the other exist?

Which QP mode do i click? Which one does the DEVS want you to click?

What about the differences between the heroes? How do you explain that in QP?

What if i like a hero in one mode, but that hero plays completely differently in another mode?

Which button do the devs want players to pick first? How does that affect the UI? How does that affect user flow and analytics?

How will a new game mode affect 222 players?

How are competitive points distributed?

How does this affect the SR system? How do the devs maintain 2 completely separate SR systems at the same time? How is that affected by analytics?

How does this affect level design? Systems design? Social design?

How does it affect Overwatch 2? How does it affect PVE and new game modes?

That’s just a quick sample of a few questions that would need to be answered. Go for it dude :slight_smile:

RE: 222 balance futureproofing. Just because Jeff didnt explicitly call out an easily proven fact doesnt mean its not true. It is true, and its mathmatically provable. A theory is not discredited just because its hasnt been specifically mentioned (hint - they wont, because any hint of weakness would be like throwing yourself to the forum wolves).

10 Likes

Your q’s were already answered in the YT vid

They were not.
Please stop trolling.

4 Likes

This sounds fun. I’m going to answer them all in my own words, instead of waiting for the OP.

Duh 2/2/2 is the best and it doesn’t give everyone trying to win a headache.

2/2/2 clearly is the superior choice.

It’s the ice-cream problem they were discussing. I’m a strawberry tank, so naturally I don’t want to play the ALL DPS ALL THE TIME game mode. Diversity in ice cream stores I suppose? The replacement would just have less strawberry or too much strawberry. (I prefer cherry.)

They want me to click whichever one keeps me and others playing the game. Without enough people clicking them, there won’t be enough players to fill enough games. The game will implode.

That’s fine. Just don’t play that mode! I used to play attack Roadhog and defense Torbjorn. Until they took away hook 1.0. Then it became attack Reinhardt.

Click the play button, then decide there I suppose. Once the play button is clicked, it would naturally give them the various play modes inside of said button. This has the adverse effect of splitting the community though. The UI would look like archives probably, where everything is separated with different buttons. Not very different.

The analytics would suffer however, due to how few people were actually playing the intended “optimal” mode.

We won’t play it if we like 2/2/2. That much is obvious.

That’s best left for the OP. I honestly don’t care.

Same as the one above.

It doesn’t affect levels or systems, but it would definitely create a rift between people who enjoy the different modes.

Can’t predict how Overwatch 2 will be affected.

I had fun.

cherry is the best ice cream…

2 Likes

To be fair, this thread’s about dumping RQ altogether and pretending that LFG is the answer.

I don’t think you can make the argument that faffing about with people is at all necessary outside of Comp. Tedious micromanagement of people isn’t what I’m looking for when I want to hop into a game. Nah, I’d rather have RQ, thanks.

7 Likes

This is why I quit playing Paladins. I am locked into a singular character for an entire match, no matter how countered I am. I’m never allowed to leave and start a new match before the match is over. Once I leave, the game has the rejoin button forever, meaning the team never gets backfill.

Wew… Yeah hard pass on that noise. I’d rather pick any tank within the tank role, than be locked to something that can be hard countered. I’d rather be capable of leaving CASUAL and be MINORLY punished for it, than being hard locked to a match assigned by QUESTIONMARK matchmaker.

2 Likes

Took me around 30 mins with speech recognition :smiley:

1 Like

LFG was/is the answer to the 2-2-2 issue

2 Likes

Okay, the problem with LFG is more than this. People just want to click quick play and start. They don’t want to search for something, find something close to what they want. Which is usually: I want to play this character. Everyone else play these. You may find a LFG group allowing you to join. But don’t agree with the other people are picking.

Another problem is joining the group is fine. But some people don’t want to communicate. They just want to start and play the game. This is why LFG became ignored. No one agreed enough. And the time it took to find something close to what you want, was too long.

Removing role is an option. But nothing is going to fix LFG, for the bulk of the people. It could fix it for comp. But no other mode. Do you remove it only for comp, or for everyone. Will people give up in the other direction. I stopped playing all the PVP modes, before Role came in. I was that fed up with being the only tank. It was better to just play VS AI, than bother with this garbage. I would most likely just go back to PVE content. Everyone would go back to the usual, one tank and arguments.

4 Likes

Yes BUT I always make clear that it wasn’t used because it had problems…

So address them…blizz never did though and we got roleQ and all of its flaws instead

So a better statement would be:

BETTER LFG was/is the answer to 222 issue

So you make the group (Takes like 15 seconds) and then you wait like you do now…my experience during the time it was up and popular was that it took at most like 5 minutes even as a dps to find or fill a group (which is very comparable to what we have now)

Fair enough, I kinda thought the “better” part of it was implied since the OP talked about improving it.

1 Like

It is not.

• None of the balance issues fixed by 222 would be fixed by LFG.
  • none of the issues for players solo tanking or healing are fixed by LFG.

Unless you actually force every player to use LFG, it solves absolutely nothing.

6 Likes

Except I don’t wait. I’m not ta DPS player. It takes 20 to 1 minute as a tank player. I have no incentive to go back to LFG. Role solved the problem. That’s why I’m for it. I don’t even care about the composition past 2 2 2. You can play whatever you want. I will play with it. I just wanted two tanks in all games.

Here’s the problem. “Better LFG” Can you make a manual function faster and better than a automatic function? That shows actual benefits for people to use it.

1 Like

I can’t see it being better, unless they just flat get rid of the quick play button, and have the same button open the LFG interface.

Though at that point it wouldn’t be a choice.

1 Like

Queue times will exist in any system where you’re trying to specify group comps…that includes lfg

If you’re a tank you did not wait 20 minutes for a group…because even in LFG it’s still the most needed role…just like in this automated queue we have now groups still needed tanks…if you made the group as the tank you already eliminated the hardest part to fill…and if not EVERY other group probably needed one…should take little effort to find a spot

It may not be instant…but it was still the quickest role in terms of finding a group

Like when you really boil it down…what we have now is just an automated version of a specific population of LFG (in terms of group making)

1 Like