The aimbots are stronger than ever

I have way too many hours in this game and have never seen an aimbotter - until literally yesterday.

Person was “playing” Sombra to point blank perfectly snap & track. The aimbot would get confused when more than one enemy was on screen and would randomly snap between different people, but because Sombra isn’t a one/two shot one kill hero, it would do some damage and then snap to someone else and no one would die unless already low. I was caught alone with her a couple times and using coachgun to bounce up into the sky, their tracking wouldn’t waiver even with the initial movement of my character, cross-hairs never left the exact spot on the character model they started on with sudden vertical movement or strafing spam.

In a low plat game (yes I know anything I say means absolutely nothing because I’m not top 500 I couldn’t possibly understand what is going right in front of me), literally no one has tracking skills that perfect, diamond and masters players don’t have the ability to do what that Sombra player was doing and I suspect that kind of perfection is even rare among top 500.

I was also not the only person on my team to notice the aimbot behavior.

I am kind of torn with this thread though - because that was literally the first time I’ve ever come across an aimbotter, it just happened to also be yesterday. I don’t really know if they’re more prevalent than ever.

and then the general thread was posted mins ago.

Haha I was just thinking about this and that it might be the same exact cheat program.

1 Like

What about the possiblity that legit player could get banned, if they got a new ip address that used to be the same ip that cheater were using.

Are you aware of how many ip adresses exist and how they work ? The are not so simple as people just having the same adress while not being in the vicinity of each other.

Also, i am very possitive, that Blizzard would with significant proof be able to solve these incredibly rare cases.

I think you are the one that dont understand how ip address work. There are not enough ipv4 address for everyone to use, especially outside U.S, so dynamic ip address is the solution, when you are offline, ISP can give your ip address to someone else when needed. Also many apartment or office building only has one ip address, while all the pc in the building is connected through lan network and using NAT protocol to access internet .If there are mutiple player in the same building, and you banned the ip address, no one can play in the building.

1 Like

this happened to me other day, 2 playing dps were alts, playing like they were golds or lower in diamond, stomped them first round, suddenly next round 1 of them was on tracer and was using what I think is a screen capture aimbot(an aimbot that catches whats on monitor or something instead of using OW memory, wallhacks use memory for example I think) because they literally started killing everything and their aim stayed very near the neck after softly snapping to it. screen capture bots arent as good as memory hacks but safer from the bit of digging ive done. Really sad thing is I read in the same forums that if you get banned its an account ban and thats it, person aimbotting just switches accounts and jumps back in.

“if ISP gives you dynamic IP. But ban works well (only) if it’s static IP. For example my previous provider gave me static IP and it stayed the same for several years. But I agree that IP-ban doesn’t work nowadays because there are very few ISPs with static IPs. (Why? Because there are more internet-connected devices than IPv4 IPs and the only practical way of giving them IPs is to use dynamic IPs”

Yes, but the playerbase of overwatch is no where near enough for it to be an issue. Neither would it be, also they have loads of systems to help out in the rare cases it might happen, yet i have never even heard of one happening.

Well, even hardwere ID ban is still better than IP ban, but spoof a fake hardwere id is fairly easy, just like using VPN to get around ip ban. Bind account to cellphone number is probably the most effective way, but for young player who dont have a phone, that could be a problem.

Well and hardware bans wouldn´t fix the massive hacking korean internet cafes, that were an issue at the start of the games life. But yeah, i mean we can agree, there are better meassures and more meassures that can be taken, but Blizzard/Overwatch is by far one of the biggest E-sport FPS games, with clearly less hackers in general than any other FPS. One of the reasons must be because of the harsh punishments and ban methods.

This is exactly what I’m seeing in competitive, anywhere from about 1800 up to at least 2600. Your team will look like it’s going to stomp by holding the first objective until overtime, then suddenly one or two people on the other team literally can’t miss. There is usually a “toggle on” moment when that potato Hanzo with the Halloween skin starts hitting every third shot (miss, miss, headshot), and if that doesn’t turn the tide then there is a “rage mode” moment where it’s all headshots, even on targets not in his FOV a millisecond before the shot.

The trolls like to say they rarely see a cheater. I say I rarely see a smurf anymore. I mean I know they’re still there, maybe there are more of them than ever, but you can’t identify them anymore because they don’t “carry” like they used to. They’re just regular Gold or Plat players with better gameplans and a larger hero pool who are getting stomped just the same as non-smurf players.

All that is in competitive. Now let’s talk about Quick Play and Arcade… there’s no “toggle” moment in these modes. The hacks are on rage mode from the beginning. The hero pool is expanding, too – you used to see mostly Widowmaker and McCree, but now people are cheating on Mercy and Lucio. I’ve seen several aimbotting D.vas, and the funny part is that I didn’t realize it until they got de-meched and baby D.Va is spazzing out with bunny hops and faster-than-fingers ADAD spam while keeping the pistol crosshair locked on your head. I’ve seen several aimbotting Mercys, too. Why? No idea. Maybe they forgot to toggle it off, maybe they still need that advantage with sidearm fire, maybe they just can’t play games without cheating anymore. Cheating does seem to be a kind of addiction for some people – they can’t stop.

If you want to see some aimbot bloopers, play a few rounds of Mystery Heroes and watch people struggle to use Hammond with an aimbot tuned for Widowmaker, then go AFK or quickly disconnect/reconnect while they toggle off.

This all has been going on concurrent with the rise of the boosting epidemic, dating back to mid/late September. What’s that, 5 months – almost 6? Boosters are actually advertising in match chat now, not just DMs / friend requests, and they brag that none of their clients have ever been banned. They have a large pool of cheap throwaway accounts that they use aimbots on to help boost in 2- and 3-stacks. They already know the $11 throwaways are going to get banned, but it takes long enough to get caught that the cost is just minor overhead. They can boost a lot of accounts for a lot of money before the aimbot throwaway gets banned. Then they re-image their hard drive to get rid of the secret Warden file, and start over with a new $11 account.

It’s gone on so long and is so pervasive and brazen that I’ve just about given up hope that it’s going to ever be solved.

Meanwhile over in Hearthstone, the gold farming bots in unranked have taken over the queue.

Blizzard no longer develops games; it maintains platforms for third-party virtual resource and reward collection and resale vendors.

lol the hard stick never miss kind of aimbot will pretty much instantly get you banned

the “aimbot” that some people use is actually just aim assist that they toggle on as they take shots. which would make a minor adjustment to their crosshair placement at best.

but dude honestly there is so much instant healing, endless AoE healing always rolling on people and so many different kinds of barriers in the game that aimbotting isn’t really an issue.

this is because only a few heroes greatly benefit from it and when a team decides to collapse on a player it really doesn’t matter if you had the best aim in the world… if your positioning, shot timing and awareness were all crap ppl would still take a dump on you.

1 Like

This is why aimbotting is so much worse in low ELO, where being a “solo carry” is often the path to higher ranks. “Collapsing on a player” isn’t something that happens often even in Plat, and when it does it’s not due to an intentional strategy with a shotcall and focus fire – it’s just because everyone’s coincidentally upset at the same disruptive enemy, or an obvious target of opportunity suddenly presented itself. In these scenarios, literally every hero will benefit from aimbotting.

With good team play, aimbotting isn’t as obvious or impactful, but it’s still there.

1 Like

It might still be there and yes worse players both do better with and benefit more from Aimbot, but the aimbotting in this game is by far still way lower than other games, the amount of “Aimbot threads” i have seen and lack of evidence is crazy, no one has any actual evidence of meeting aimbotters and the ones i have seen were mostly clear evidence of something that is 100% humanly possible, yet some crybaby decides to whine about it. I as a legit player have a foto collection of multiple games in a row of getting called an aimbotter or wallhacker, this was 3900-4100 games on this smurf, so people are always very fast to throw shade, without proper evidence.

1 Like

Or they could have also only played aim lobbies in custom games as well being all custom games don’t record any stats for heros, basically as if you never played them to your career profile.

The most powerful tool in this game isn’t an aimbot, too easy to spot. What you want for overwatch is a auto shooter and play a hitscan. These basically just require you to pass over an enemy and it instantly shoots. Looks totally natural and just looks like you have great timing.

1 Like

Yeah I hate soldier mains

Those are called Trigger Bots.

Yeah that thing, I dunno I don’t hack lol.

lol this is actually true