THANK YOU for Talking About Matchmaker's MMR and Forced 50%

In all my years of activity on this forum, I have only ever talked about one thing. Anyone who knows me knows the subject of which I speak, even if they do not know what I am talking about. And most of the time, I feel like William Shatner in “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” claiming there is a gremlin on the wing of a my plane to the deaf and disbelieving ears of other passengers and flight crew.

Being joined by others in my cause makes me feel less alone and less crazy. I want to thank HULK, ŘïĝĜèĐ, and Bro who have taken up the torch in recent days, and shared with me the terrible burden of shedding light on the dark operations of modern game holding corporations. I want to thank all the hundreds (thousands?) of players who added their voices over the years to reject the use of Bayesian skill scoring frameworks and algorithmic handicapping in online games.

Please keep it going, everyone! When your voices die down, Activision/Blizzard can pretend that the matter is settled; that we consent to be exploited and abused in perpetuity. Don’t get caught up in emotionally and intellectually exhausting arguments with your detractors. Don’t burn out and stop participating in discussion. Don’t stop logging in to the forum and keeping tabs on the threads. Don’t stop holding votes on the issues that matter to you, even when online game publishers remove their forums’ polling features (cough, Activision).

But most of all, don’t give up, I need your help. Help me keep the word going here, and help me reach the influencers on social media. We need to keep caring, and we need our statement to go viral or nothing will ever change. Please share our argument and my own thread and video with whoever you can.

29 Likes

Yes it’s certainly good that this subject is getting more attention as of late! We won’t give up until MMR and all forms of rigging are removed!

21 Likes

You’re awesome, HULK! Thank you

4 Likes

Is this an invite to spam the forums? Seems pretty against ToC to me, be careful!

6 Likes

I wonder what you think “spam” is? I am telling players to speak up for themselves and find audience.

3 Likes

I’m with you bro. I wish and hope current OW Content Creators/Twitch Streamers and Youtubers would see the importance of this issue that goes beyond OW itself and use their voices as well. Let it be heard. Let it be known. And when it happens, more respect will be given because much respect will have been earned.

#RemoveMMRfromCompetitive #DefendYourSR

6 Likes

Ramblings of a true cult leader. Cuthbert, Hulk and Rigged, The Three Musketeers of rigged matchmaking.

I sincerely hope you also have the matching costumes.

21 Likes

Not talking about you specifically, but about your associates: 4 threads on the same exact topic in 3 days is spamming.
Be careful guys! D:

1 Like

I have messaged every YouTube content creator with a stake in this that I could think of, and all of the top gaming news outlets. Nobody has gotten back to me yet. I don’t know if I’m being ignored on blocked by spam filters…but I haven’t given up on trying to reach gaming’s cultural influencers. Until the story picks up traction with one of them, it is going nowhere. I have come to realize that Activision/Blizzard will never address our complaint on this forum, even though it is co-signed by thousands of other players besides us.

Thanks for your concern and really it is up to the moderators to decide, but in my opinion what they are doing is not spamming. These are original threads and content written by real human beings. Just because they are concerned with the same issue does not make them “spam.”

4 Likes

They can get rid of MMR, but they will need to start banning smurfs and will have to continue to use something for quickplay.

1 Like

You know the beautiful thing is, without MMR Smurfs would be no problem at all. Most smurf accounts are purchased for the purpose of circumventing MMR, because the longer you are in the system the more stats it gathers, and the harder it works against you. Many players know this intuitively or simply go along with the consumer culture they perceive.

As far as I know, the problem exists because of MMR’s use in competitive play, so hypothetically speaking they could still use it for quick play. But they should at least show us our stats and each players relative MMR/SR. My feeling is players wouldn’t stand for it, if they could see the numbers working.

3 Likes

MMR in competitive purposefully rigs the outcome of the match. This inevitably produced, gave rise, encouraged, and gave license to players to engage in and practice this same level of ethic, or lack thereof. AKA, SMURFS.

mic drop again* because I have many mics. I have a voice.

4 Likes

I mean…
The dev quotes you yourself are using as a source directly contradict your own claims.
What did you expect to happen?

7 Likes

How are you gauging increased activity? More forum topics?

Nowhere did he say spam the forums. You’re confused.

1 Like

What claims are they contradicting?

2 Likes

In what way do they contradict me?

Practically the same message, very funny.

2 Likes

To name one example:

Dev quote in his thread:

So he basically claims that people are hardstuck because of MMR while the dev quote he uses in his topic explains how MMR is used to get you to your appropriate rank faster.

8 Likes

I think you are misreading the Mercer quote. He doesn’t say that “The amount of MMR (and SR) you go up or down is not a matter of whether you won or lost…” he said that it is, and that it is also these other factors that he lists. It is not one thing or the other, it’s everything. And he doesn’t say anything about getting you to an appropriate rank.

3 Likes

And the things he lists are exactly the opposite of your claim.

I really don’t get how you can make a “MMR is stopping you from getting where you belong” out of a “MMR is helping you to get where you belong”.

6 Likes