Tanks still continuing to throw their own games

it seems like the role you aren’t playing always is lacking

when I’m on tank, I get dps who dont swap to counter but get countered, they don’t kill anything, stay in the back line and blame the tanks despite me pushing in and making space on point

when I’m on dps its the exact opposite, either tanks or supports are acting brain dead

when can I just clone myself 5 times and make a 6stack of just me

4 Likes

i can almost guarantee you you don’t make RELEVANT space on tank so im gonna ignore this. I can confidently say you even define what making space is.

In lower ranks people don’t understand there role or have trust issues.
and in general try to do each others job.
Tanks are over aggressive because they want kills or they are overly passive because they think there will be no follow up or heals when they push.

The dps is away from the team flanking trying to make space because they think the tank wont.

The healers are dpsing because they don’t believe anyone else will.

You just need one of these to happen for it all to spiral and become messy.
And some times it will pay off doing someone else’s job on that level so the behavior is reinforced .

5 Likes

I agree that the lack of gamesense or brains is usually why Supports and Tanks are lackluster. I don’t think that it’s because the roles themselves train people to be lazy in those areas though. I think that most players (dps included) struggle to think of what their teammates in the game are trying to do. Dps are less effected by being bad at understand what their team wants to do than other roles because most of their kit isn’t designed to synergize with their team. At this point in the game’s lifecycle most players have some understanding of how their kit works and what the enemy is trying to do (roughly… like most of us know where the Widow is likely to be perched and where the enemy is probably holding).

Telling your team how to play their hero isn’t your job. Communicating (either with comms or by clearly moving towards a direction) where you are moving the frontline and how you wish to take the fight is your job. The main support needs to know where you are going to be so they can position appropriately, the long range dps need you in LOS because you are a magnet for the brawly enemy dps that they need to counter, and the off-tank is going to be trying to play around you. No one wants to play main tanks because it’s a lot of responsibility and it requires you to put a lot of trust in your team.

I’m not sure if dps is easier, so much as the thing you need to work on is obvious (shoot the things) and the resources needed to get good at being a dps (time, aim trainers, counter guides on youtube) are easily accessible. A lot of players don’t know what they should be improving on tank and when they do it’s harder to find useful guides/workshop modes to help you get better.

I agree with most of your examples… but using Valk when you are either up or down one is generally a good idea and there is a reason that high ELO Mercy streamers suggest it. Ults should be used to either gain an advantage in a fight or put your team back on an even playing field. It’s less big brain if the Mercy pops Valk to get an easy rez and rushes it before stabilizing the rest of the team.

I’m not disagreeing with the point you are trying to prove, but I agree that Recalled has a point about the made up statistics. Saying that in your experience the good tanks are rare and pointing out that that makes sense because we know most of the playerbase doesn’t play tank are both good support for your statement. Presenting personal experience as a hard statistic isn’t helpful because it will mislead people into thinking you have data that you do not have. Kind of like how it’s not good practice to take two data points with two decimal points of precision and give people a calculated value with five decimal points of precision. It just makes people think your data was more precise than it was.

Yes to all of this.

3 Likes

I don’t agree with this at all. Mercy players should be valking when down one a lot of the time.

more important than whether they are down one or not is what ults the team has and whether they get more value by using their ult now and maybe winning a 5v6 or forcing enemy ults vs holding it for later fights. if they use it they can also get 30% on next ult easily. and oftentimes they are holding their ult early in teh fight until the tanks are in range to commit to get max value but then 1 dps gets picked early. that doesn’t make the fight unwinnable especially if you have ults to use.

the rest of the points I agree with though.

I love the 'you should have gone mccree and killed the echo." bad supports expect you to kill anything that attacks you, good supports just expect peel and help so that they don’t end up 1v2.

?

have you been in any of my games? no

so by your logic I can guarantee you’re also a useless dps that kills nothing

2 Likes

This is why Open Queue is so great. If you get on a team, and find out AFTER the game starts that your tanks aren’t really pushing, you can swap to a tank.

In Role Queue, you can do almost nothing. Sit through the torture of a full game, when you can see it’s most likely a loss in the first 30 seconds.

Open Queue, fix it yourself if you can. Or, at least try. Much more fun.

1 Like