Tank power creep is getting out of hands

At this point they are trying anything to make 5v5 and a single tank per team “work”. The main problem is, this issue can’t be solved by constantly buffing tanks, and buffing tanks that don’t need it. No matter how powerful the tanks are, it will always be the least player role in the game no matter what.

Today’s patch will only introduce even more power creep and make some of the tanks totally unfun to play against. This doesn’t solve anything, it only makes things worse. The core of the problem is not being solved.

8 Likes

Is there a patch today then or???

1 Like

“Power creep: the situation where successive updates or expansions to a game introduce more powerful units or abilities, leaving the older ones underpowered.”

Based on that definition ripped from Google, there is no power creep in OW. You can’t compare power level across roles since they each do different things, and since old heroes are still very much viable (some even got nerfed from their OW1 versions like Soldier and Widow) they aren’t getting outmoded by new heroes. Of the heroes introduced in OW2, only Kiriko can currently be considered overtuned, and that’s debatable. They always nerf overperforming heroes. Buffing heroes to where other heroes in their roles are isn’t power creep, it’s bringing them closer to the intended power level of the game. The power level of the game isn’t getting higher, it’s just different with one tank per team versus two. If anything, the game’s power level is lower than when open queue no limits was the default.

1 Like

Are we still pretending that the mid S10 patch “gigabuffed” tanks as a whole and not just particular ones?

Let’s not crucify the entire tank role for the sins of a few, please.

7 Likes

While I agree with the sentiment, the patch gigabuffing ANY tanks, once again over the protests of a lot of the player base is just kind of endemic of the problem.

They’ll do anything to salvage this format, even crazy junk like that.

1 Like

Apparently so!

3 Likes

I have a bad feeling about today’s patch. We are about to know the true meaning of a raid boss tank.

“Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” is their new motto.

1 Like

Game would be so much better fighting two 400 hp tanks instead of one 750hp gigatank

4 Likes

We can only pray this patch makes tank feel playable again… i wont get my hopes up

The devs are still refusing to accept that the issue isn’t how strong tanks are. It’s how much responsibility is on them which leads to them eating all cooldowns and being the targets of endless rock paper scissors.

The issue is 5v5 and how that exacerbates counterpicking. Until at least one of those are addressed tank will continue to be miserable.

2 Likes

That would require them to admit their wrong about their big magic bullet format change.

I feel safe in saying we have a better chance of Tracer phasing through the universal barrier into our world than that happening anytime soon.

2 Likes

Well if they keep buffing tanks it’ll just make the counterpicking worse since nobody on the team will be able to help if your tank is getting constantly counterpicked by their tank.

So yeah. Looking forward to longer queue times :+1:

This is the first time in Overwatch history where the devs has to balance the role that only has 1 on each team. So it must be very difficult for them. Which is funny because the original idea was that single tanking would make tank balancing easier to do and allow them to be stronger then before. They got the second part right (sort of), but not so much the first part.

Before in OW1, devs had to worry about potentially oppressive tank synergies. They thought removing second tank and not having to worry about tank synergy = easier time balancing tanks.

I guess they didn’t foresee how challenging it can be to make Hog/Mauga fair to play against Doomfist/Winston, Zarya fair to play against Sigma/D.va, Orisa fair to play against Reinhardt etc. (tbf Orisa seems less annoying against rein players now).

Hell, queue times are already on the rise again. I had a friend who’s gold saying she was in a 12 minute queue just last night. And gold is the most populated rank in the game.

It’s hilarious they’d rather beat their head against a wall instead of seriously considering reverting

2 Likes

It’s not a problem of balance. That’s what they seem to not understand and that’s why even when tanks are raidbosses nobody wants to play the role.

Without fundamental changes 5v5 tank does not work and will not work.

I think 5v5 can be fixed with balancing…except that the entire roster needs to be rebalanced now, not just tanks. Before, we only needed to look into tank synergies (and supports to some extent, but only brig/bap). Now in 5v5, we need to look into reworking tank, DPS, and support heroes…

But it’s also possible that no amount of balancing will make tanking feel as good as OW1. And OW1 tanking is the bare minimum, since even back then tanking wasn’t that amazing. But OW2 is somehow even worse (at least for me).

Gather your party, raid bosses are coming to Overwatch!

1 Like

Wow I can’t wait for dive tanks to be tankier. thrilling

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t figure why people seriously prefer one raid boss tank to two tanks that yes, could work together well, but were a lot more killable.

‘This format makes OW2 more of a shooter’

Yeah, a shooter where it’s crazy more difficult to get kills. And they wonder why even casuals are starting to hop ship.

1 Like

The issues are tanks being so important that the enemy team puts all of their cooldowns into them and they get endlessly counterpicked. It doesn’t matter how much you buff tanks because all of that still applies and if anything it makes the counterpicking worse because your own team won’t be able to help with the other teams gigabuffed tank if they insist on playing rock paper scissors.

The role isn’t fun. It’s extremely strong but just not fun to play.

3 Likes