Tank diffs are (usually) a myth

No sure about that one. A tank diffing player stats may reflect upon his team stats, but not the opposite way, usually. Also, I can land 45 elims a game as Bap with 25k networth, but my tank is still going 8-12. However, if my tank is 32-4 or smth, my death count is usually the lowest in the lobby because of that.

When I duo with my tank, and let’s say we go from gold5 to masters5, we usually end up with 2 loses max if not 100% wr. When I solo, I get like 65-75 winrate of the same run.

This is a problem with every role except tank is only one who’ll get hard flamed.

More peiple need to understand this.

Swap Tank and Support then this is also accurate.

1 Like

sometimes i can do my best and even survive plenty of enemy forced 1v5s but with no team followup i cant do anything if my teammates are all trying to snipe from my backline with short range heroes. they expect their tank to do everything for them despite being at a huge disadvantage?

Or you have games where you absolutely slaughter the enemy tank on the scoreboard and your team still yells at you for tank diff.

I think people just want to blame anyone other than themselves, and tank is an easy target.

2 Likes

every character in every role can be countered… but somehow its always the tanks fault they are being countered, always the tank that must do all the countering… its really odd how that works.

1 Like

It’s a Tank diff if you lose, according to half the playerbase.

1 Like

The tank is a skill check for the team.

It is like a vip who requires to be guarded for a win to happen instead of being the other way around. if you keep your tank alive, you win the match.

Thats unfortunately the problem with being a tank your required to pick up the slack and keep the team united and figure out your opponants strengths and weaknesses. I def dont think its fair but thats never going to really change or get fixed. Perhaps blizz should offer in game tooltips on character counters I have a chart for every char that have on my phone for when im playing. That way i can make suggestions to my team and figure out what we need to do to secure the win. If blizz offered some built in way to know what would help against certain chars it would become a lot easier to manage a team thats faultering. Just remember tho when your the anchor point of the group it unfortunately always has to be based around you.

Tank Diff is definitely a thing

I've seen tanks get 20+ elims, with dps giving them good support and support guving good healing, but still lose. Ive seen a crappy tank make it impossible for a team, that was doing everything right, to win.

1 Like

Turns out many diffs are. Also turns out people who say “diff” don’t care. They’re just venting.

More news at 11.

1 Like

Tank diffs are inevitable in 5v5, but there’s always more than meets the eye.

Before saying “tank diff” ask yourself “Should we pick Mercy/Moira if my tank is playing Doomfist?” The answer is no, my dear, you should not.

If your tank is playing dive and you’re on Torb, it’s time to reconsider your choices before blaming the guy who’s taking the hits for you.

When your tank goes 5 and 9, because theyre going off on their own, or play Doom with no idea how to, thats on the tank. When their support are doing their best to heal, but the tank rushes in, pushes, when its a disadvantage to do so, thats on the tank.

When the other tank plays smart, allowing his dps and support to do their jobs, and our tank is just worried about elims, thats a tank diff, for sure. Ive seen tanks get 30+ elims, due 15+ times, and we lose to a team that has a fraction of the elims, but they played smarter.

1 Like

I think you’re nailing it usually in my experience if it seems like a ‘tank diff’ it’s in actuality a support diff( I play all roles before someone jumps me for favouring tank).
If it feels like a DPS diff it’s usually a tank diff and if it feels like a supp diff it’s really a DPS diff. What I’m trying to say is nowadays it seems that people forgot all roles depend on each other and need to work together to get the W instead of pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

That is a two way street. The team composition is the responsibility of the team as a whole. If a Torbjorn is refusing to swap to a dive hero and the Doomfist needs support on his dives, that Doomfist might be the one who needs to consider a swap. Who knows?

That’s why I prefer one tricks. You know what they about and do not need to rely on your teammate thinking for themselves. It is like, just play what you are best at, cuh. That’s how we win. We can coordinate without swaps and without comms. Or maybe we cannot. But we deserve the loss if that is the case.

3 Likes

Ive seen a crappy DPS/Support make it impossible for a team, that was doing everything right, to win.

The difference between these two statements is that the devs have made Tanks WAY more reliant on their team mates in order to do their job effectively. So its likely that the “crappy” tank wasnt actually being supported by their team.

This is all obviously situation dependant but we all know the tank is the first person to be expected to swap for people yet DPS/Supports seem to be able to play what they want.

No

2 Likes

It is vaguely odd as well because these people usually believe tank is the most powerful and impactful role and yet refuse to build around it. It is truly fascinating.

:muscle: :face_with_monocle:

One day you will accept me for who I am Jungle Book.

1 Like

Exactly… it’s very hypocritical lol

Never!

1 Like

From what I’ve experienced since OW2 launched if someone is going to start throwing blame around while being completely wrong it almost always seems to be a support. Every. Single. Time.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right, but considering how bad tanks have it in 5v5 let them at least play their favorite heroes. I always try to make my tank’s life easier (mostly because I play tank myself and I share the same burden lol)

2 Likes

Same here. And its rarely a Bap, Ana, zen or lucio. Its always the mercy, moira, lw or kiri.

1 Like