Takes too long to get to proper rank in comp

Im in platinum now but was stuck in gold for way too long. Honestly i wasnt sure if i would ever get out because of how bad it is

I knew i belonged in platinum at least and ive been in plat so its not like this is some idea i had and never done it before. As soon as i reached plat won four in a row and now im hovering around 2590

When i played my placement matches and got gold, thats fine im not mad about that. It had been a while since ive played comp overwatch so thats fair

Whats not fair is the fact that it took me about 290 games to get from gold to platinum when i belonged in plat all along.

No i did not get significantly better and go from being an actual gold player to an actual platinum. I couldve started the season plat and been just fine. Of course you get a little better just from playing but not drastically and no major changes or improvements on my end

From beginning of the season to now i always play every role i always play a variety of characters i always fill what the team needs and nothing about my playstyle changed. Yet it still takes almost 300 games to finally get where i belong. That is a major problem with this comp system that needs to be addressed

If i got to plat in 100 games i would be ok with that, still a decent amount but within reason. 300 is way too much

If i have to go through that nonsense again of climbing the gold swamp (assuming that i dont drop back down on my own from losing matches) just to get to where i know i belong then ill probably just stop playing comp cuz whats the point the game will just keep shafting you anyways after you rank up

Do something to fix this issue asap playing in gold is a nightmare once i hit plat immediately i felt comfortable and people finally are consistently reliable and actually pick tank/support. One person (outside of high level players) does not have enough influence on a match to carry a team and get out of gold if they are being dragged down by people who dont know how to play, never pick counters, and only want to go dps

5 Likes

Perhaps you weren’t as performing as well as you thought you were? If you’re expected to lose (50/50 w/r and all that) on a particular game, and you win while performing above average for a gold player on your hero, you’ll get crap tons of SR. If you lose, you’ll lose little.

As you reach your real rank, you’ll climb more slowly and also drop more slowly. This is intended.

8 Likes

I was hardstuck gold for 6 seasons…
Then I sky rocket into top plat xD
Now i rush to high plat with eyes closed…

climbing is a very, very very slow grind. took me somewhere in the region of 7 seasons to break out of diamond and touch masters, and i’m still floating around in diamond. just keep playing and working on what you do wrong

1 Like

Nah the game has a failed ranking system.
It puts you in ranks based on the average win rate. I can put my paycheck on the fact that anyone of you on this forum are at least gold+ if you’re stuck in silver.

The different SR intervals of increase and decreasing is also a component of winrate. Your entire gameplay experience is based around if you win more or lose more, there’s nothing defining your actual gameplay. So if you started plat in Season 14 and you lost a bunch at the end of the season but lets say made a 5-5 placement run, there’s a high chance its either putting you in Silver or Gold. Not because you play bad its just the ranked system is flawed a horrible.

4 Likes

I dont think i was doing great or bad. I just know that ive been consistent and playing at least at a platinum level the whole time. So if i play the same consistently at a platinum level in gold, why does it take so damn long for that to actually manifest itself in my rank? The system itself is completely screwed up because it doesnt reward you quickly enough for playing above the level that you currently are.

It simply throws you into the mess that is gold and expects you to slowly crawl your way out while being dragged back constantly. I had so many swings back and forth in my sr, losing streak then winning streak then losing again all while playing the exact same way. This is a fundamental problem with their comp system that needs to be fixed

1 Like

If it took you that long to reach plat then maybe at the start you might not have supposed to be in plat. You got better and now you do but that is just what happens. If it takes you ages to go anywhere then you probably are at the right spot.

Congrats on getting plat tho. It took me about 5 seasons on console and a lot of game knowledge and experience to get placed in plat when I jumped to PC.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s my imagination. But if you are playing a certain hero and popping off, the game seems to find you games where you have to keep doing that.

Swapping roles always seems to mess with what the matchmaker put on your team. So if you were playing an untouchable genji then filled as Dva or a healer you will find that game far harder or unwinnable.

So basically, don’t fill.

If you were meant to be plat, you’d be plat.
being in gold, where the bell curve averages in, is normal.
statistically most people will be there.

1 Like

I do feel like there’s a luck factor to sr.

2 Likes

Do you rush to high plat from low/mid plat? Or do you rush to high plat from gold? Because the second one would be much much more difficult

I am just concerned that in a future comp season the game will place me back in gold and i will have to slog through this nonsense again just to get back to plat

1 Like

You’re playing at platinum level in your opinion. Unfortunately, as a lone player you do not definite the parameters of “platinum level”.

4 Likes

^ This is more or less, gospel.

The forums are filled with people who are absolutely, positively sure, they’re on the path to pro. That they’re gonna be top 500 in no time and on stage in OWL in a month.

A vast majority of those people are delusional. Your rank is not dependant on how badly ‘you want it’. It’s not dependant on how well you ‘think you play’. It’s based off of how you play and how your team plays as a whole. Very different.

6 Likes

Well let me tell you how long it took me to get to Masters. It took… oh… wait… I’m not masters.

1 Like

This. I started in silver, originally was flexing to whatever. It didn’t work out. Played only Ashe and made it to 2330. Unless I had another Ashe that was just as good as mine, we lost almost every time I had to flex.

Ok so then help me explain this if im wrong. I play the same exact way with the same strategies from season beginning til now, over 300 games. I start in gold, and now im platinum

So am i actually a gold player who got to platinum and is staying there by accident/pure luck? Or am i actually a platinum player who was playing at a platinum level but stuck in gold because it is a mess? Id like your honest opinion on which one is more likely because i believe the answer is clear

2 Likes

They should make placements actual placements. It is so stupid to get in the same rank no matter what you do.

3 Likes

Pick a role that works and stick to it. I used to play support, but I don’t climb with any of them. I switched to playing damage only and the results were the opposite.

The gold player who barely makes it into plat by playing a bunch of games on the grind. Otherwise you would blow past gold into meh plat like it was nothing, maybe fall back down and backup etc… The ranks are filled with tons of 2501-2590 gold player who break in and then hard park the bus due to no decay.

Then make sure to tell everyone they are plat.

3 Likes

I do not believe i am pro or top 500 or owl. I do believe that i am at least platinum, maybe higher maybe not. But definitely not gold, and i have proven that by playing the exact same way throughout this season and getting to plat from gold and staying there

You cant tell me im not a plat level player because im already in it. And since im in it that means i play at a plat level, and since ive been playing the same way this entire time that shows that the system is flawed because it takes too long to get out of gold when you are a platinum level player (which again ive proven by the fact that im currently in it)

So this isnt my theory about how good i am or where i belong or how well i think i played. Its already happened im not guessing here

2 Likes