Takes too long to get to proper rank in comp

at 2590 it means your best games on your best maps are plat level right now, maybe even higher than your current SR. Yet your basic average game play is somewhere -200 to -300 below that peak in gold.
That’s fine.

One of the main problems with the community is they think their best games, best rank is their default. It’s just not… A 2.8k player is a plat player, a 2500ish player is more or less gold who can get into plat, on their way to 2.8k

2 Likes

^ Second Gospel. This is become a very good book indeed.

Yea you can come up with whatever wacky system you want, i go by what the game says. Anything above 2500 is plat, and thats a fact. I really dont care about your “oh you really are much lower blah blah” yea guess what? If i were really a gold player like you say then i would still be in gold or i would drop out of platinum because im not good enough to keep up.

Neither of those has happened so you can go by your bs if you want im going to go by what the numbers actually say

1 Like

The comp playerbase has shrunk over the last year. So the skill distribution curve is contracting, you can see lots of posts of people complaining of suddenly falling a few hundred Sr and unable to climb. It means mid gold to mid plat is more like old plat. People are prob not doing themselves favours by falling Sr then assuming they are playing at a rank below them and hard carrying will be easy.

Yea thats a fair point i guess but still they need to do something about this because im sure there are many others in the same position regardless of rank

There are people playing at a diamond level stuck in plat, playing at a silver level stuck in bronze. Your actual skill level does not have a large enough impact on your sr

I mean, if it took you 300 games to break into plat by less than 100sr, I think it is fair to say that your are not much better than a gold player, otherwise it wouldnt have taken nearly as long. Also, in my experience there is no noticeable difference in a 2400 player or a 2600 player. Same thing, just happened to win a few more games for the time being.

Also those ranks have performance based sr. So if you are playing at a higher level, even losing more than you win and you can still climb.

1 Like

What I usually do is avoid Quick Play like the plague and level up my accounts in Arcade/Custom Games.

That way the matchmaker doesn’t have anything to judge me from except my winrate during my first placements (which is usually high so I place around Diamond)

Sounds like you are focusing on the number too much. Comp is just QP with longer matches and a visible mmr. Who cares how long it takes? Seriously, what difference will you be able to tell in your matches between 100 and 300 games besides the number? Its the same.

Yea the number matters thats why people play ranked in the first place. To get a rank and then try to increase that number as quickly as possible

If i didnt care then i wouldnt play comp at all. And there is a difference in the matches platinum is easily much better than gold its very noticeable. People play smarter pick better heroes for countering and are willing to go healer and tank way more often. In gold so many matches its everyone pick dps and then reluctantly one or two switch off of it

Yeah. If you get 2-3 kills on attack while the 5th of your team just died, its not something huge.
It’s not your teammates fault.
If
You get these 1-2 kills just at the right moment, when your team decided to walk forward and push. Now thats huge. Great job.

Tl;dr
value is usually depending on the match Situation.

I do feel like it takes a long time to reach your deserved rank as well. You get around 25 SR for a win, and lose about the same amount for a loss. Assuming a 100% winrate, you need 20 games to climb out of one rank that isn’t Bronze or GM (because those ranks don’t span 500 SR like the rest). To me, 20 games is already a big grind, and that is assuming the near impossible 100% winrate.

Now say, you have a really good, but reasonable, positive WR of 60%, you would need a HUNDRED games to climb out of a single rank. That is just absurd.

3 Likes

Thats normal. The skill difference between a plat and a gold lvl player arent that huge that they can carry like 70% of the time.
You might only get an overall winrate of 55%, then climbing will take longer.

well just make sure to lock your profile to private so no one will ever know one way or the other. I still maintain that if you needed nearly 300 games to get out of the lower 60% of the player base that is gold, you’re not play at a plat level consistently enough in game.

and the whole peak SR isn’t one’s true SR is just facts. It’s the same performance metric as top athletes or even for boring stuff like college finals. You want to peak at the right time but most of the time one is operating well below that peak level.

1 Like

None of the edge ranks are really night and day different until you get into the 4k range where it’s so much more compressed.
Like 2.8k vs 3.1k is close enough. As a meh no one cares mid 3k I don’t care if I face low masters, it’s more or less the same from my point of view.

the “barely” into a SR range is mostly about the fun snarky stuff you can poke at friends about. Like I have a once fellow 3k player how has been trying to carry a gold, out of gold. Yet it just dragged them down to less than 60SR from gold after I think a 2.8k placement.

2 Likes

Same experience here. I was plat last season. A friend who is in silver wanted to queue with me dragging him to gold lvl games because i increased the team average SR that high.

I’m not the type of guy to carry a team which does tons of mistakes, because I’m a Sombra player which flexes to support. I’m kind of dependend on having teammates being on my level.

Needless to say, we lost 3 games in a row pretty badly, so we left it at that and never queued for comp together again.

1 Like

You can maintain whatever garbage you want i dont care and that doesnt make it true. For some reason you assume im just going to stay around 2590 which is wrong as well thats just where i was at the time i made the post.

If i can start in gold and move to plat i can move up in plat as well (which im already doing) so your brilliant theory about me would be wrong which we know it is anyways because its completely fabricated out of thin air so you can make yourself look like you know more than you actually do.

And i still maintain that facts are facts. The fact is im in plat right now (went up to 2630 after most recent match) and i either

1. wouldnt have gotten in at all or
  2. wouldve dropped out already
    If the nonsense you are spewing is true and i am indeed a gold player. But its not true, its just nonsense.

You dont believe me right? Private profile right? Ok what do you want to bet ill literally bet you anything that if i unlock my profile right now it says im above 2500 sr in platinum, and that i have not as you suggest stopped playing once i hit plat so i can brag about it (more nonsense). You wanna take that bet?

1 Like

I don’t care…
The simple fact that you needed nearly 300 games to break out of the lower 60% of the player base says more about your game play consistancy than it does anything about the current SR system.

That’s the main point of what everyone has been trying to explain. The same for acting like some how a few 100SR up or down in metal ranks maters. It just doesn’t being there is so little skill compression below maybe high masters or so. Once you get into that range you start to big changes just from 3.8k to 4k, 4.2k to 4.4k etc.
2.8k to 3.1k? Yeah not so much, never mind gold to plat.

no one is begrudging you your rank up or anything, just the part that acts like some how you should have been plat to start, while needing nearly 300 games to get there.
If anything, it shows that no, 300 games ago you where not plat, maybe 300+ games and 50+ hours of game play later. Maybe you are…

Wrong again. As i said in my op, ive been in plat before. If this were my first time in plat and it took me this long i would say you have a point and i probably wouldnt even be complaining

Its because ive been there already that i know i belong in platinum. The last time i played comp for a significant amount of time i was platinum with a high of 2733

So what i didnt belong in plat back then? I got so much worse that i dropped down to gold skill and then magically regained my plat skills throughout those games?

No and no. I belonged then just as i belong now in platinum. I didnt get any worse from the last time to the beginning of the current season. The only difference is, the last time i placed into plat and i was able to stay there no problem, which means i belonged. This time, since ive been away for a few seasons, the game decides to put me in gold so i have to climb my way out of it just to get back to where i already was

So yea, i shouldve been plat to start, just like i was before and just like ive ended up again. The system is broken if it takes this long for me to get to my proper rank where i already was

1 Like

Problem is 70% of the player base thinks “play DPS and carry yourself” to the point teams flat out fall apart at the select screen because nobody wants to play Main Tank or main healer.

The game needs a massive fix to how unpopular main tanks and main healers are at the “average player base”

Yep definitely the case in gold everyone instalock dps and the team is usually lucky just to have one tank and one healer

1 Like