Symmetra Rework: Defense or Support?

Hybrids are not excluded if they can do at least one of three: damage/tanking/healing. Roadhog is tank/dps hybrid, zen is healer/dps hybrid, brigitte is healer/tank hybrid. All of them are pretty fine and can compete with other heroes for slot in the team.

While heroes like Mei or Symmetra are not hybrids. They just don’t fit into holy trinity. Yes, they can provide something else. Mei provides tons of utility.

The problem is that damaging/tanking/healing is always better because all of this works directly towards the main goal - to kill the enemy and prevent the enemy to kill ally. All utility heroes are not so straightforward.

If a team size would be 7 instead of 6 there would be a place such niche heroes more. But with size of 6 comps like 2/2/2 will be the most balanced forever.

That’s a lot of thinking you put into the rework(I was really crazy thinking none comes up with ideas… sorry for that). Its cool that you kept her ‘builder’ fantasy and blessing the team with utility intact and made it even better but does it make more reliant on her teammates. Now that she is being moved to defence class it seems like she relies on her teammates more than ever before when she was in support with her kit. On second thought it seems like she will be in the class similar to sombra in offence were heavy teamwork is needed to use her to the maximum.

1 Like

Not a prediction…

More like, taking notes from fans.

I really hope they tweak the numbers because it seems pretty damn crazy.

Her new weapon is a shield buster. More damage and regens ammo when targeting shields.

On her alternate fire: The current idea makes it sound like it’s just a charge up version of Pharah’s Rockets.

My idea: Keep piercing effect and remove explosion. Have its damage increase for each barrier it strikes. Perhaps lower the speed from 30 to 20 to compensate the higher damage potential along with its quicker charge.

The main draw of it in its current form is to put pressure on enemies grouped up behind barriers. As the shield and barrier manipulator, she should maintain that aspect.

I adore the changes, but its a bit sad that she’ll be even more reliant on her team. Removing the projected barrier will make her even more vulnerable, as a sole defence character without mobility (junkrat mine, hanzo’s wallclimb, widow’s hook) or self preservatory (mei’s iceblock) option. Say good bye to blocking d.va bombs and rein shatters.

2 Likes

Well remember her teleport is now her E, she’ll be able to make quick escapes for both her and her team along with all the other support potential that provides.

1 Like

Two important questions:

Does Sym get 50 more HP now?

Does she keep her iconic photon barrier deployment animation with her hand? Please?

Hey Geoff :smile: Just wondering if you guys have been notified/are taking action about the bug that sometimes doesn’t grant SR after wins? I played 8 games before end of season and went 6-2 (unreal right?) and unfortunately was only awarded SR for 2/6 wins :frowning:

I argue that killing the enemy is not the main goal. The main goal is taking/protecting the objective. Killing the enemy is just one way to reach your goal, but not the only one. For a quick and dirt example (and luckily, increasingly more uncommon), backcapping is literally taking the objective without a single enemy kill.

The trinity mold don’t really fit into Overwatch, and people are brute forcing a round piece into a hexagonal hole to categorize them there. “DPS” do not deal a lot more damage than the rest of the cast. “Tanks” are not expected to take all damage that would befall into the rest of the team. “Healers” are much more valued by what they bring in addition to their healing (damage boost, sleep dart, discord orb, speed boost, etc).

As I said, the hybrid heroes are one reason why I don’t like 2-2-2. There is a lot more issues with this mindset, but I think this thread is not the place to discuss them. Feel welcome to @ me in a proper thread if you want to keep the discussion going.

Um not all about gameplay is true but changing her nature still ruins her.

Thank you. Thank you so much for compiling this information.

1 Like

What if dps is too op?
Maybe a small lock on or a wider beam that can slow like her turrets or like Mei(before you get headshoted) can be useful or balanced :slight_smile:

What Ive been wondering is if they are deployed can they be eaten by DM? If Dva has it up?

Can u let the Piercing on the Orb!?
After rework, i can never do this anymore =/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHnMimxfJbY

Let the Ball bounce 1 time, thats fine.

Yeah, i’d like to see piercing on the photon orb. It was really useful, possibly one of the strongest parts of her kit, and it will be even more necessary with Brig in the game now.

There’s no point in changing actual viable parts of her kit.

1 Like

Did you think about letting her redirect the entrance, like Medivh does in HOTS after upgrading a talent?

those changes to Symmetra doesn’t sound like Symmetra keep most things that makes Symmetra Symmetra.
The changes to her turrets sounds good, but reducing her amount of turrets sadly reduces her utility, since she can’t survey as many paths as before.

1 Like

Regarding the ult. A giant wall sounds cool, but I think it’s just going to pigeonhole her as a defense hero on capture point again as it only works on a static environment and not a constantly advancing battle like payload mode or CTF mode. Perhaps instead of a wall, creating a giant cube that can protect a point or a payload from all sides would more versatile. You could place it on the payload and create a mobile fortress for your team to shoot out of, or use it to protect the point from long range assaults from snipers for a few seconds. Plus she works for a company that builds hard-light houses. Building a giant house/fortress-cube just thematically makes sense.

I hope they also experiment with non-shield ults. She’s being moved to defense as a DPS-ish hero and I feel like they’re kind of clinging to the whole “shield-support” niche she’s had for ages. I’m okay if they let go and try something different. You said that the changes to the turrets are being made so she can function on attack, and I’d like to see her be viable on attack so the turret rework doesn’t go to waste, but a static non-moving shield ult is just not going to do that. Yes it has uses, but those uses shine brighter on defense.

Symmetra is a lot like Green Lantern, and the things she makes reflect her brilliant creativity. I just feel like summoning a giant wall doesn’t do that ideology justice. Consider a CC ultimate, or even a damage oriented one, or anything before feeling the need to stick with the current wall-idea. I do like her catch-phrase “welcome to MY reality!” and I think that would be a great thing to base her ultimate off of. Creating a zone that fits her idea of a perfect reality. What that zone is is up to you!

2 Likes