Symm is defenseless

Outside of her ult she has little to no defense. Since she used to be much better at defense I think the devs really tried to make her better on attack. They did this but it left her with no defense and this is where the survivsbility issues arose. There are many solutions like photon barrier 2.0, more health, etc… ideas?

9 Likes
5 Likes

Great idea. I could see it working

I feel like symmetra in the state she is right now is pretty good, not the best but still good nevertheless.

The gun seems fine in my opinion, just tweak the annoying clip damage at the start of the beaming process and maybe extend the beam length a little, but the length now is fine in my opinion.

She doesn’t need to have more HP or anything. Symmetra is meant to be a squishy hero, the high risk high reward gameplay she encapsulates is reliant on her being this way, providing a larger health pool will in my opinion make her too difficult to kill, especially when she is level three and pumping out 200 HPS a second.

The wall is fine, no really improvements need to be made in my opinion, maybe the wall will do damage when enemies pass by it, but it’s not really a be all end all change that is needed.

The biggest thing that needs to be looked at is the bread and butter that defines symmetra, her teleporter. Right now, as many people have pointed out, the teleporter is extremely niche and can only be used in a handful of situations, for example teleporting to point. in other situations, for example a graviton, only half of the team or symmetra herself will be able to escape with teleporter because the placement of the entrance teleporter is extremely unpredictable.

To fix this, Blizzard needs to increase the interactivity field of the teleporter, to ensure that, when in a grav for example, every teammate can teleport no matter where the teleporter’s unpredictable entrance lands.

Other minor changes that will make a big impact will be to increase the build speed of the teleporter, so it makes the teleportation process a little less predictable, but as a result make the TP hp lower, as the devs said they are afraid of instant teleportation, so lower HP should counteract that. Alternativley, instead of lowering the hp, lower the time the TP is active. Adding onto this, more range of teleportation would be a welcomed change, as right now the range is minute compared to the open vast maps that overwatch has to offer.

Symm buffs that I expect to see.

Photon projector:
Removed the damage penalty when attacking an enemy for the first time.
Increased range by an extra 2 M (debatable)

Teleporter:
Increase the interactivity range
Increase the range that the teleporter can access
Increase the build time for the teleporter (by 25-50%)
HP decreased by 40%
OR
Active time decreased by 50%

In order for buffs to come through, some nerfing and tuning needs to be done so she doesnt turn completely nuts (we can dream though!)

Next time I walk around with a weapon I’ll claim I’m defenseless then

LOL are you serious? You want to make it so that it disappears the second it’s fully usable? It’s already on such a short timer that you can barely get any good use out of it right now, halving the active time would make it literally the worst ability in the game.

1 Like

0.25-0.5s faster TP cast
TP interact radus increased by ~2m
TP lasts until replaced / destroyed
25 shield aura that affects allies

I’m…not sure how I feel about that.

I think she’s fine where she’s at. I’ve actually been having a blast playing her and have been using her a lot recently. I do think that she lacks defensiveness, but I think that’s the tradeoff for faster ramp-up and damage. I’m finding the best success is when I play around corners and peek, or when I bombard them from the side when they’re already distracted.

I know that’s not everyone’s experience, though, and I have little experience with Symm prior to that.

I don’t think her high damage capabilities would mesh well with defensive capabilities as well.

i’d say make tp faster and it’ll be very fine

You can say this about most of the heroes though since many don’t have defense up close and personal outside of abilities. She still has some defenses (throw turrets) and a means of escape (TP)

And saying she had more defenses in 2.0 is a flat out lie. In fact, I’d say she had worse defenses than current Sym, since you couldn’t throw turrets, Photon Barrier was useless upclose, you didn’t have TP as an solo ability and her gun took years to charge up and kill somebody.

I like ur ideas. If I had to choose I would say to get rid of beam chip damage at beginning

She isn’t defenseless outside of her barrier. Her extremely versatile turrets are people’s incentive to not go near her. Killing Sym is never as simple as just walking up to her and picking her off, but it seems a lot of people here play her in a way that allows enemies to do that.

Hello Arcadium! I don’t know if you remember but we had some ptr symm battles lol. I like
Ur ideas as always

1 Like

I feel like Symmetra’s currently living a huge missed opportunity for a decent passive ability. She bends light to construct buildings out of thin air, so why doesn’t she also have decoys and such? I feel like a good passive for her would be that, once every 7-10 seconds, the first shot against her makes her disappear similar to Moira’s “Fade” ability, allowing her to move around a bit before coming back into existence… but she leaves behind a copied image of herself that assumes the function of a “Medium” difficulty bot, without the ability to actually deal damage. It can take damage of course, just can’t deal it out. While fazed out she can charge up her secondary attack…

Also to make Sym have an option that doesn’t need start up