Sym was never and should never be a Support

Effectively copy pasting a comment I made in a earlier thread:

Symmetra was never a support and this entire argument stems from the fact that they arbitrarily placed her there and could have easily put her in defense.

Kaplan also tweeted to this effect. He concedes Symmetra “could easily be in the defence class” → straight from their own mouths.

Can you imagine? The exact same kit and reworks and entire history of the hero but this whole “Support Sym” movement wouldn’t even exist if the coin flipped the other way and they threw her in defense. It’s basically semantics and it’s annoying. Wanna know why she was put in support? Because they had trouble designing supports and didn’t wanna launch the game with just 3 of them.

She has always been a dps hero that claims an area and she should be balanced accordingly in OW2.

There comes a point where you change a hero so much they’re not even the same… People just want to slap Sym’s design and voice onto some sort of bastardized Mercy clone.

23 Likes

Wasn’t she able to give shields during the beta or early in the game? I’d like to be able to see how a support Sym looks before I judge anything.

8 Likes

She was always played like a third support/ Support defense imo. 3.0 is like perfect for her since her base iteration. 222 made her fit into more with damage which I feel was more like her base design. She fits good as a defensive damage option to help protect your support players.

I do wish if they heal symmetra is a good experience that it should go to another hero with maybe similar technology. Perhaps a colleague of Symmetra’s or extended family since she was an orphan. I would like that better.

1 Like

and she wont be…think people are grasping at straws just cause geoff said its not off the table…hes also said that he tried it before and it felt terrible…but nobody ever mentions that part

Yes, as Torb could give armor

1 Like

The Ama and ow2 livestream said they are testing a healing support symmetra. And other heroes to get some role changes. Mei can turn into a tank.

I wouldn’t want heroes to lose a role. If they gained a new version of themselves as an additional role that would be better. But removing them from damage to turn them into a healer would feel bad. Symmetra always played like a defensive utility damage dealer.

The community rejected nonhealing supports a long time ago. She was hated for that reason. Her power budget as a support really made her not really good. Her power budget as a damage player is pretty good, could use some tweaks.

2 Likes

Thing is they tried healing turrets only and it was back before they were throwable. It’s been mentioned enough times lately by Geoff that it’s been concerning.

he reiterated that he hasnt tried anything with her yet…despite saying that he might last year during previous AMA…

testing a support sym version is still “on the table” but they havent actually tried any changes yet and who knows if they ever will honestly…sounds like they still have a LOT theyre figuring out with the game itself

Didn’t 1.0 give out shields and have TP as an ult? Her turrets are defense orentied but the other half of her kit says support. 2.0 had that cancerous fn shield gen which was really really fun to go against when Brig launch.

1 Like

Didn’t they say that they are testing her on the ow2 internally as a healer?

if i can find the quote ill link…but if im not mistaken it was in that developer ama…so id have to find it in a video

Turning her into a support would be an even bigger rework than any she has gotten so far. It also won’t necessarily solve all her current problems (-> all of her abilities are slow and take time to be effective).

As someone that likes to play Symmetra, I like Sym 3.0 (pre-infinite duration tp) and would prefer the “utility dps” over the “She was in the ‘support’ category once, so let’s fanatically try to put her back into it!”.

They said heal turrets didn’t work so I wouldn’t worry

Exactly, they would rather cripple Mei’s identity than kill two birds with one stone. Why are people worried they will get reasonable queues as Sym? Don’t worry, she will still be one of the lowest pick dps come Overwatch 2, chill.

I’ve been saying this for some time, she never played as a Support in modern terms, obviously the developers didn’t really know how OW was going to play out on release so I can’t fault them for incorrectly placing her in Support (though with how long she was classified as one is very questionable)

Changing her to a Support would change her so much that you may as well release a new hero - this is why I’m against reworking heroes to other roles because if you change the way they play that much then they’re not the same hero anymore and could easily have just made the rework into a new hero and overall have more choices to how we enjoy the game

She gave 25 shields to a single hero and had teleport be an ultimate. Compare that to now having that wall as an ultimate and teleport be an ability and she is MORE of a support now.

(i do love that the scroll bar is labeled nowadays)

so quoting Sty here who is quoting Geoff allegedly:
“we havent done any hard swaps internally yet…but it is certainly still on the table…its one of the list of experiments to try internally…sym to support again…etc”

acknowledgement that hes aware of the concept…but also that they havent tried anything

Cries in literally all the tanks for OW2

think its closer to blending of roles than losing

Oh ok. I watched that video and the cover scared me. I didn’t hear that part well. Even though they are considering it, which is why I put my feedback in these threads. That changing them is bad. Adding a new version of them in other roles is something I am open to. But removing their old versions isn’t something I want.

Sort of like in fighting games where you can use multiple versions of the same character. I think a sequel would be nice to add heroes to different roles. I just feel it would be backwards to remove dps sym. I would happily like the option of playing Symmetra as damage or healing with different builds. That would be fun. I am more concerned about the removal of dps symmetra.

World of warcraft for example has different specs to switch through, my character can go healing or support or damage. I think it would be nice for some heroes to have more then one role. Maybe something like having young ana playable as a damage healer for example since she was one of the best snipers in the world before widowmaker was made.