Sym rework could've been an entirely different hero

I’m not complaining, I’m pointing out that if she had a new character model + animations we could have a whole new hero! I know Blizzard never let any hero go completely yet, but imagine if we had a new character from where Sym works. I think Sym interactions are quite negative usually but having someone from her workplace could maybe show her less mean side.

2.0 and 3.0 play pretty much separate from each other.
2.0 has aimbot, shield + shield gen and teleport . 3.0 has Zarya aim and constant teleport with huge barrier. Sym could just be shields and 3.0 could be teleport guy! (Maybe buff shields or something to compensate for no more teleporter) I don’t know about secondary fire, I’d like to know what you guys think

7 Likes

Not really.
She still has her turrets/damage that ramps up after constant use and her teleporter it’s still Sym. Her abilities are just more expanding on. Making new hero wouldn’t make sense IMO.

4 Likes

It would probably be possible to make two different heroes but that would most likely leave the original sym in F tier. She was too niche in her old form.

1 Like

I’m saying there is probably enough there for another one, that they could use what they’re throwing away for something else. She no longer has shield gen, small shield or aimbot, that’s 3 abilities that could’ve gone somewhere.

1 Like

And that character would have been F-tier like her. They reworked her because her kit was a reason she was bad, I don’t see what sense it would make putting them in another character and thinking it would work.

1 Like

She’ll just move up to D Tier if they got with kit. I don’t see her getting any higher until further tweaks is made. I suppose if they try to do another attempt with a shield type hero. It’ll probably be better than Symmetra kit, but how would it work?

1 Like

Another sheild type hero could possible work similar to Brigette just instead of armor you give allies shields. The way Symmetra handled it wasn’t good in execution because her kit wasn’t good.

Nope. It just wasn’t improvise and the developers here aren’t good at it. You either know how to do it or you don’t and they couldn’t which is why it never came to fruition no matter how many times players suggested cool concepts to improve her shield support capabilities. The developers here weren’t truly interested going down that route.

I don’t see how, Sym concept was broken on almost every ability she had and no small buffs could really fix her.

And then you would still be stuck with Symmetra’s bad state except now you have a hero that basically overlaps with her identity.

Imagine if this was a new hero. Not only would it need new voice actor, hero design and months of work for skins, voicelines, balancing, design, etc. But also people would have asked why this hero has a teleporter much better than symmetra? With the same abilities and everything? Why didn’t they just made symmetra this way instead.

So in the end, this is what it is. She’s improved, but still the same hero in core design.

1 Like

The thing is she was a close range hero at heart, but was stripped down because her benefits gave flankers the upper edge. What they lacked with Symmetra was beam length at 10m, 75 shields E ability, shorter turret cd, her hp being at 250 and her damage dealt restores her lost shield hp.

That’s all she needed to cover herself for her owns survivability.

I’m their intention was to make her dps from the start they should of done that back then than make us wait 2 years later. What I can gather is a failed shield type hero due to lack of tweaking which any developer should always stay on top of to keep the meta fresh. Not here though.

What they tried to do failed. Miserably. They even attempted a rework before and it still failed. Just demonstrating the fact that a hero like symmetra, with the way she was, would NEVER be viable. The reworks had to be more drastic. So here we are. I’m just hoping that this version of symmetra doesn’t become an unstoppable force, but more of a situational and balanced one. Time will tell.

How does that maker her better at supporting? Also, how does that fix the issues with her ults being easy to find and destroy and her turrets being as durable as wet toilet paper? All this would do is make her slightly less F tier but still bad to the point that people will flame you for playing her. That, and it wouldn’t fix her problem of being put in a team comp.

Remember she’s a shield type and the only support she shielding her allies. To make her concept work is that her shielding can regenerate during combat restoring lost shield hp. She’s not a direct healer, but more of an band aid applier. The second support ability is her teleporter, but if they added a twist to it. I can say the teleporter grants 50 more shielding functioning like a shield generator or granting 50 shield hp when passing through it.

Didn’t she already have this when she was first introduced? She’d give shields mid-combat even if the number was increased I don’t see how this would be meaningfully impactful.

That really doesn’t sound like it would make an impact. If you mean that when you place TP you get 50 shields then what would be the point if the cooldown is 10 seconds? If you mean it as an ult like how it is on live servers then it doesn’t fix the problem with her ultimate.

That wasn’t mid combat shield. She just gave everyone a shield before match started and anyone she’d miss would get it eventually. It never regenerated during combat. Only out of combat it regenerated and your 2nd main is Symmetra.

You should know that mechanic by now unless you started later.
How would it effective you say? Check out Moira when she life steals from an enemy. It would be similar to that, but minus damage dealt giving the player some sort of survivability to escape danger.

10 seconds? We’re talking about support Symmetra not damage Symmetra. Her teleport would apply 50 shielding meaning it will stack with her 75 shield she hands out to her allies. We’re talking about before 2.0 Symmetra. It could function like a shield generator or grants 50 shielding when passing through the teleporter.

That means with teleporter up your team recovers 125 shield hp making her very useful to the team especially since her orb goes through barriers.

I started after she was first reworked, i only saw her v.1 incarnation from videos online.

So… it’s basically is a heal but it gives shields and the shields are permanent when applied is what you’re saying? Correct me if I’m wrong.

That doesn’t fix the problem with her ult though. It wasn’t that it didn’t do enough 75 shields from shield gen can be game saving and TP saves the trip from spawn. The problem was you needed to babysit your ult because the noise it made was loud that it makes Reaper’s shadowstep seem quiet by comparison. That and the fact and even without the sound there are only so many spots you could hide it and they were pretty obvious hiding spots (outside of a few on certain maps)

Maybe it’s just me, but I never found her orbs to be useful even when they go through barriers. It’s a good and easy way of farming ult charge but outside of that, it doesn’t offer much outside of the cheek kill every own and then. (which I’ll miss because it’s funny killing a fast moving character like Tracer with the orb)

I got you. Her old E ability was pretty much shield generator, but she had to press E to apply it on allies. If they died she’d had to reapply it. It’s sort of a heal, but only recovering shield hp.

That’s true, but remember the concept I am talking supports old sym and not 2.0.
Her E ability grants 75 shields so the only thing her team losing is the 50 shield hp from TP.

Orbs have their usefulness during team fights when charging in or doing a sneak attack and finishing off your opponent with beam.

They are also losing the TP which you’ll need if one or more people get picked off because you want them back in the fight. Plus if your idea means that she gives 75 shields and they stay on permanently (or unless they die) doesn’t that just make the ability kind of worthless because you won’t get much use out of it? If it temporary then it still seems kinda of useless because Brigette does the same thing and her’s is arguably better because armor reduces damage.

In team fights her orbs hitting were mostly luck and you wouldn’t be spamming orbs in a team fight much anyway when you can just use the chaos to either spread your turrets or ramp up or beam. Outside when you sneak up on someone then yeah there is that use but outside of that and farming ult, they don’t have much impact.