(Super) Global healing debuff in OW2?

But why? Why is heal stacking a problem at all? Its solved by shooting the supports first. Why must heal stacking be removed?

19 Likes

I’ve always been a proponent to healer fixes too. Having healers makes for inclusive gameplay.

(not to offend anyone here).

When Running my little guild in WoW it was always a difficult task finding healers just for the fact that they have to be interesting to play and then EASY to pick up and learn.

The folks that are playing healers take on “Janitorial roles” since they are not always as good at tanking or DPS’ing. So they find their niche in gameplay to be helping others, but not be the star of the show.

My sister being one of them. That played Mercy 1.0 . Which was very inclusive to play. Mass Rez made more sense vs Single target rez decisions to be made. Which the weight of decision now falls on the healer’s shoulders as to which player they find important.

I never thought this was a good idea for Mercy 2.0 just for the fact that more players thought that Mercy and healers should be very skillful to play. Despite healing classes almost always go UNFILLED.

So either characters in the game have to be very reliant on themselves or the healers have to provide a major impact to the game.

When Looking at the Mass Rez mechanics of Mercy. The #1 complaint was “Hide and rez”. Since nobody wanted to be looking for Mercy in order to win the fight. If it was payload race and Mercy was sitting behind a visual barrier. The team wiped and was defeated. Mercy jumps out and rez’es the WHOLE team again. Which did NOT make for fun fights.

What I see today is for potential to return Mass Rez to mercy. but with WAY more restraints and stipulations to the gameplay. I currently do NOT like the Mercy 2.0 just for the fact that it doesn’t really make sense. It promotes “pocket mercy” and “battle mercy” more than ever.

Mass Rez in depth:

1 ) Without mass rez, I have to worry about where Mercy is , once she ults. If she gets picked off while floating around. That just ruined the fight.

2 ) Exploring options of a 10 meter AOE Rez radius. With obstructions in the level such as rooms that will not allow players to be rez’d.

3 ) Players within the rez radius receiving a penalty of ALL their secondary abilities placed on COOL DOWN.

4 ) Players rez’d having a 10-15% reduction of their ultimate ability meter reduced.

• You were ready to ult, guess what. It will take another 15% longer.

5 ) CHANNELED Casting vs “insta cast”. That way players have time to counter this ability or interupt it.

This is just my take on this from Playing WoW and discussing what healers really think of the game. (Druids, Priests, Shamans) and the many friends that use to play Mercy.

Also, you have a VERY “un-tapped keg” for Mercy stuff. I mean I think the Pink Mercy is a good fund raiser, and she is still the #1 fan ART of this game. :slight_smile:

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

All i know is i quit paladins hard because of cauterize.

Made tanking unfun and support unfun

4 Likes

What about burst damage against Tanks though?
There won’t be an Off-Tank to protect the Main Tank from damage spikes anymore.

That the overall poke damage will be lower doesn’t exactly help you if you are dead because you got blown up in split seconds and Healers are doing even less to prevent it.

17 Likes

I’m not sure how it’s an issue after realizing how much damage goes out. People just need to do the math.

6 Likes

Oh thank goodn-

oh….

20 Likes

It’s fine, they can take away our heals, but they can never take away our heels!

5 Likes

Unless you are bap ofc…

Suddenly healing being even 25% less effective makes immortality field the GOAT of all utilities to ever exist.

I don’t think anybody would want that kind of balance lol.

Almost forgot Ana’s crazy nade for a moment. Healing amp and healing denial for enemy team? Stronger than ever, she could be the only potential support capable of sustaining in combat.

1 Like

That means that they will only reduce the healing debuff percentage.

I am so sure about that, lol

3 Likes

It will most certainly have to get turned into a “Reduced Damage Field” if they don’t want Bap to be a must pick as an Off-Tank replacement.

I hate all of these. All of them 🥲🤭

3 Likes

I play FF14 and healers are bored to tears because it’s too easy due to the developers trying to make them “accessible” and kept removing interesting abilities, damage abilities and dumbing done mechanics. They’ve been trying to get the devs to change them for years because pressing the 1 button 30 times with an occasional oGCD thrown in does not make for interesting gameplay.

4 Likes

As a support, I’m fine with lower healing. I just want the supportive tools to feel like the strongest aspect of the supports.

Making healing worse while leaving support damage untouched makes me worried that all supports will be expected to chase more kills. I want some supports have their damage output nerfed to retain that passive supportive feeling.

But reducing support damage makes them easier to duel, and die more often.

Supports dying more often means less consistent tank healthpools.

Wouldn’t be too bad if tanks could peel for supports more consistently, but that doesn’t seem to be the direction the game is heading. Alternatively, supports could be more evasive to stay alive, but the passive dps speed buff makes that harder.

Greatly appreciate the communication. I hope my concerns are unfounded once OW2 releases.

2 Likes

Purely lowering healing will also make support peeling for each other seem more or less futile, so they can get ganked by flankers even easier and have to play spawn simulator.

Overwatch during dive meta before Moira and Brig was quite like that, but lowering healing output even more would make the same issues drastically worse with one less tank too.

13 Likes

Keep in mind they’re removing Brig’s shield bash stun too c:

In any case, I don’t think the game will be anywhere near the worst case nightmare scenario we’re imagining. I think it’ll be pretty good, at least after it’s out for a bit. The devs can’t completely ignore more than 1/3 of the people on a team, so it’ll work out in the end.

1 Like

At least dive never applied a 25% healing debuff as winston cleaves everyone.

Speaking of which, what is to stop Winston + Mei and Zen + Lucio from Rushing down a team in 3 seconds? Winston and Mei both pierce with Mei having soft CC (150dps per target, together), discord (195 dps) and amped speedboost to start the gank? 25% healing debuff on everyone.

That’s not even including the flex dps and whatever zen and lucio does also. They also get to have 2 defensive ultimates to counter ult spam. How is this rush comp not going to be meta? Defensive tools will never be added due to the hyper offense philosophy.

So, you’d rather supports lose healing and gain damage? Why not just play the DPS at that point? You could just lock Soldier 76 and do that exact thing. I really think healing should be the most important thing to the supports since, without it, they’re just the objectively worse Damage role characters.

12 Likes

In all honesty…

I would rather iterate with in-combat healing BONUSES rather than debuffs.

Which would strategically give supports MORE IMPACT and more ENGAGEMENT when they are actively healing participants who are actively taking damage. Aka, participating in the pvp environments.

Isn’t that the core duty of being a support? Enabling teammates to win the fights? Focusing healing on participants actively taking the brunt of the damage to sustain them? Making it more engaging and rewarding to do combat healing, having great healing priorities and not just kill enemies faster and top off people after you’ve finished killing them? Helping teammates being more influential?

If we don’t actually focus on the supporting side of well, the support role, then it’ll just become damage mini, with healing on the side.

Supports play supports primarily to help their teammates and not because they can frag. Some are admittedly amazing fraggers too (ml7, jjonak for instance), but they still prefer to play support rather than just swap roles.

2 Likes

No, the opposite.

I don’t play support to get kills.
I’d prefer nerfing both support healing and damage to maintain passive playstyles.

But as I said, that raises the issue of support survivability. I’d like them to have more evasive tools, but the dps speed buff and less cc counters that.

1 Like

I don’t mind like a global healing nerf perhaps. Just a flat, universal nerf across the board. I only strongly dislike a further nerf to healing after a hero takes damage (which was stated by Super, assuming that change goes through). That aspect would feeling absolutely horrible for support players.