Stylosa/Jeff Kaplan Interview Part 2 - Competitive Talk, Role Queue, Game Features, etc

It’s not GOATS but Rein/Zarya is everywhere including GOATS, but still they won’t address them.

i think that Zarya is the main reason GOATS exist, because of her bubbles and grav + healers that deny damage of ult spam

Okay I think I have extracted all of the viable information out of the video in my list below. Keep the discussion civil everyone. Cheers!

5 Likes

TBH, I think its possible to actually get a point where every OWL has their own unique setup or meta. Like Paris who specialize in pure aggressive GOATS, you got Shanghai who utilize Sombra in its lineup as well, or even other teams that don’t utilize the meta but play to their strength.

The issue is that, you need nerfs on top of buffs. You can’t keep buffing everything, cause after a certain point, every char would be doing so much damage that it’ll be unfun.

1 Like

Role queue it is then. I wonder if we’ll see OWL forced into 2-2-2.

2 Likes

It’s not even about GOATS at this point. He can keep saying GOATS is seldom used outside of pro play.

Yet these two are everywhere. It doesn’t matter if/what they’re doing is enabling GOATS; what matter is it stops other tanks seeing play.

I would suspect so as all pro official tournaments always use the current competitive ruleset. However given what they just quoted, I would not expect to see forced 2/2/2 in Overwatch League until next year.

4 Likes

Paris just adjust to current meta - they have insane DPS players!
Shadowburn, Danye, honSoon (sounds almost Korean) … they are insane genji, tracer, widow players… when GOATs end then Paris Chikens will rein supreeeme :smiley:

Something to look forward to then. great work as always.

Can’t wait for people to keep quitting in forced 2/2/2 when they see the team lineup, leave because they didn’t like it, or false report.

Fun.

1 Like

i feel bad for the devs the community is so toxic. they do listen and act on feedback but people expect them to do things overnight.

people were saying we need another main healer who is more skill/aim based and they delivered, he also has an interesting ability to counter burst and spam. they dont seem to get much thanks, just more complainst about why they havent fixed goats, when they say they are working on it.

8 Likes

in fact for me the problem right now is reaper, hog hook, and all hitscan/projectile heroes, because i am JR main
even when doomfist was OP i had almost no problems with DFsts… so everyone have different perception of problems…

DEV team got wide spectrum of statistics, so they got better foundation on thinking what needs to be done

TBF, Baptiste came prob at the worst time due to GOATS. As a hero, he’s pretty cool, just not have the best timing.

1 Like

lol

balancing is not the sole reason it exists…stop looking at it through the bubble…he even speaks about it in the video

2 Likes

i really don’t want to see the game restricted to 2-2-2 and the fact the jeff loves that idea makes me really depressed about the future of the game.

6 Likes

But isn’t the game about creativity, unconventional comps and switching on-the-fly?

Whatever happened to that philosophy?

But… but… but… we have 40 million active concurrent users. Queue time shouldn’t be an issue period! This game is so popular!

So first this is a game about anything goes. Hero stacking. Wacky strats.

Then it’s no hero-stacking, because that became too disruptive.

Now we’re looking at no role-stacking, because now that’s making the meta too stagnant.

It’s great they’re actively making the game more and more rigid, and less and less creative, in hopes of improving player/viewer experience.

I just hope there are enough players still playing this game when they finally achieved their stability and balance they so sought after.

5 Likes

Don’t know why a 2-2-2 system has to be a role queue. We could have a system where players are matched and an order is randomly chosen to select heroes. Once 2 of whatever role is selected, that role is locked off. The first few picks would likely be dps since that’s what most people play. But this would kind of help solve the issue of one-tricks. Also this would forced players to be better at multiple roles.

1 Like

We will have our role queue after the release of more tanks or supports who are fun to play by everyone.

And whose fault is that?

I really like how they’re blaming the community for Brigitte too.

They’re the ones who ultimately foolishly choose to give a single hero the power to counter an entire comp on their own and they take sole blame for her horribly designed kit. A dive counter could easily have been done well, Blizzard is the one who screwed it up and its utterly childish how they constantly try to shift the blame instead of owning up to their mistakes.

Welp, thanks a lot for the summary Wyoming, you saved us a lot of suffering <3

4 Likes

It would solve the issue of team comps. But it would absolutely magnify the toxicity.

Right now you have people crapping on each other because someone locked the hero they like; imagine when the role they like get locked.