Stop wasting resources on FFA

If you want to have FFA fine, but I’m getting sick and tired of all these beautiful maps exclusively coming to FFA. Black Forest, Castillo, Chateau Guillard, Eco Point Antarctica, Necropolis, Petra, and now finally Kanezaka.

That’s 7 maps, there’s 29 unique maps in OW. Why is a game based on cooperative play, a game that Blizzard at one point said FFA wouldn’t even work with, have 24% of its maps exclusively for a game mode the average player will never play? Stop wasting resources on FFA and concentrate on the actual game that people play. You can always section off a part of the map for the FFA audience, heck with how many you’ve done that for by now I bet there’s more FFA maps than normal OW maps at this point.

Just think how much more variety in maps there would be if there was 7 more maps in the QP/Competitive rotation.

EDIT: Statistics of those that participate in FFA is 3%.

55 Likes

Because death match is very popular to play while waiting in queue. It’s a core component now for warmup and it needs extra content too. And besides we have no idea if this map really took “extra resources” from anything. Could’ve just been a side-gig from other devs.

36 Likes

There’s plenty of none FFA exclusive maps, you don’t need to build a map from the ground up for FFA exclusively, just section a part of a new map off and slap it into FFA. FFA shouldn’t this level of resources poured into it in a game like OW.

5 Likes

I prefer FFA and 4v4 maps over 2 CP. So I support more of these maps. I refuse to play quick play and even ranked because of 2 cp maps.

2 Likes

everything I’ve read in this post is one person complaining about having pretty good content (and a lot of lore) after a 2020 of challenge-only events.

it is no mystery that we will know everything at blizzcon but some whining after a long time of silence is … an insult

For this topic: :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

This new map literally is in Hanamura, if I am not mistaken

kanezaka was a personal project from a new dev they hired to kind of demonstrate his ideas, and when they saw his prototype design they loved it so much they decided to make it real. I doubt it costed as much dev resources to make kanezaka as it did other maps for that reason.

between covid and ow2, the devs are probably working really hard, we’re just not able to see it at the moment and probably wont get to until early 2022 lmao

22 Likes

Yet only three of them are exclusively for deathmatch.

The others are for other game modes in the arcade. So no, your 24% statistic is wildly incorrect.

In reality it’s about 10%.

7 Likes

You mean Team death match?

Should I change the name to stop wasting resources on death match?

Same thing in the end. Both modes get both maps.

Only Chateau, Petra, and Kanezaka are FFA maps

Eco Point, Black Forest, Castillo, and Necropolis are elimination maps

So really not that many resources have gone into these modes. And why shouldn’t they have their own maps? The regular maps don’t suit these modes, especially elimination since the regular maps aren’t symmetrical.

11 Likes

Or

3v3 Elimination
6v6 Elimination
Mirrored Duel
Literally all custom games

Just because they don’t make something for the core gameplay modes doesn’t mean there aren’t communities that want and are appreciative of them. As a workshop creator myself I’m very happy with it being a deathmatch map - there’s normally a lot more you can do with deathmatch maps.

14 Likes

Would rather not have more terrible sectioned-off stock maps like Blizzard World and Paris in FFA. The only really good maps introduced that way are Eichenwalde and Hollywood.

Actually 2CP maps were in the FFA All Maps rot at one point but they were too big to be fun and too horizontal to be cut to an acceptable length. I imagine KOTH maps have a similar problem.

1 Like

FFA doesn’t work, its just a killsteal stun fest all game thats just entertaining enough to play while you wait for the real game to queue up.

They’d have to do a FFA exclusive balance pass nerfing heros like roadhog, tracer, and McCree for me to take that game mode seriously.

2 Likes

Hard disagree. FFADM is the best game mode introduced for me.

1 Like

“Devs, if you do something I specifically don’t want you are wasting resources. My opinion and preference matters more than others”

– OP

12 Likes

OP probably missed the part that said Kanezaka was a personal project to showcase the creator’s work.

I posted to make maps that EVERYONE can play, not just the FFA crowd.

Nothing is stopping you from queuing for FFA.

1 Like

I said they should have made a map that was in ALL game modes, not just FFA.

It takes a looooot more work.