Stop saying/implying that climbing is impossible

The problem with your example is the way Ranked works right now it would take forever for a top 10 player to drag an account to GM that has been in gold/plat for a long time.

Even someone 2k+ outside the SR range will climb slow on an old account. Now what happens to a person that should be 2800 but is currently at 2200? Just 600 SR off but that tiny climb feels like its impossible even when you win 55-60% of your games. The SR lost/won per match often doesn’t reflect your play at all.

There are other games that have far better ranked systems that quickly figure out someone is in the wrong rank. Even with new accounts it is wildly off putting nearly everyone in gold or plat. Many of those people only play a handful of games per season but they belong in silver or bronze but because they play so few games it takes forever for them to drop. Meanwhile their teams feel like they have a thrower.

2 Likes

Yes. I honestly think ML7 would be hard stuck on my account, if he one- tricked Genji on it.

Because he doesn’t play Genji and Genji is p00p in OW1

I think this just put a pin in it. The sad part was I was convinced more about the accuracy of the system when I had all these accounts and I raised them to gold. But now my main is dropping, a perfect example of what everyone is talking about, and your choosing to ignore it. Its right here! Saying 61 elims and 20k dmg is TANKING… you sound like the folks in the game… just sad man.

The worst part is your doing exactly what I predicted in other threads, your denouncing my experience and creating some sort of tilt narrative which is not true. You are putting thoughts in my head which arent there. I told you, I am having a good time in mid silver cause part of me believes there is a floor, and once I reach it, I’ll start to climb, like I always have.

I got another account thats around the 2050-2070 range, 2 accounts in 2300 range, and I had Slaughter at 2200-2400 range until a super drop to 1800s, which I got back to 2100, drop back to 1900, played with zax and now is dropping down to 1790s. So yea I wish I could find a gold player, I’m just a silver, I guess a troll now, player with 3 gold accounts and a mid-silver account.

You want to know why the account is dropping, because again I predicted it. All your predictions fall thru. Just like I said, that accounts certainty is very high, and theres a skin event going on. Did that ever cross your mind? So I got folks joining in just to get the skin, havnt played in months… I was climbing before the event.

As for the range… I’m not sure. I dont like how someone can play poorly and I am still judged on my own, without their input. Its an imperfect system so therefore now matter how less imperfect you make it, that flaw is so huge to me, I just have to see how it plays out.

I mean, if you’re on your trough on Sgt, where you normally keep to within 300 SR of all your accounts, why are you trying to sit here and tell me that you have 3 accounts of different SRs?

You don’t. You have 3 accounts of similar SRs, one of which is having a bad day. The reason for the bad day may not be your subconscious desires to make it have a bad day to prove a point, sure. Doesn’t matter why it’s having a bad day. You’re not maintaining two different ranks.

So you claim to have 3 accounts that are normally in low-gold.

I totally believe that. What’s the freaking problem?

Do you not understand that finding a gold player that is able to rank Sgt to 2300 disproves your entire theory? Yet, you come here and straight out say that you are in fact that very gold player? Like, are we even arguing?

I swear. I ask you that question because I want you to admit straight out that you think 1 SR means something, while most of us realize that the normal state of things is within 3-500 SR.

I can make the system work better for you just by removing such small amounts of SR. POOF! Done for OW2.

1 Like

When the bad day is not caused by you, thats the entire point. One then wants to seek why the bad day occurred and can it be resolved or made better. If not, bad days are going to occur wether its in OW1 or OW2.

Nah fam, my predictions are 4 years old and you don’t even know how right I have always been.

This kid really thinks he is perfect, plays perfect all the time, and that no fluctuation of SR should exist.

I got news, bad days are going to occur. I hope you learn how to deal with real life better than the vidya game.

Again putting out some narrative because it didn’t fit your answer.

My flux right now is 300. But I got an account that’s attracting potatoes because of a skin event. It’s attracting them because of the flaw in the system.

Generally speaking, are the people ranked higher than you better than you?

I hear you. This person actually mentioned something I really dislike about reddit: the downvote button. I may be one of the few people who thought youtube made the right decision on this.

What are you basing this on?

I’m not sure this is true. I haven’t played the game in several months though. 600 SR above a lobby average certainly seems like a big enough skill gap to start winning handily. If 600 SR still feels like an impossible struggle as you suggest, it seems like you’re implying that you can’t really start carrying matches until you’re 800-1000+ SR above the lobby, and that hasn’t been my experience. Silver/Gold feel harder than they should (particularly based on the character you play; I’d much rather be a Hanzo or Soldier main in either of these ranks than a Winston or Mercy main), but grinding out of them is absolutely possible for the player dedicated to improving. Maybe you underestimate the amount of work players above you have put in to get there. I won’t buy the argument that 30-50 hours spent aim training will not have a substantial impact. I have to defer to you on whether climbing in other games is easier or feels better than OW (this wouldn’t surprise me). Luckily, OW is the only video game I’ve played in years, and I gave up gaming altogether once I finally realized it’s a trap, so I can’t say.

I’m not sure if you’re being facetious, but if not, you’re underestimating just how much better someone like ML7 is compared to everyone else.

2 Likes

Generally yes, the highest ranked folks are generally better than me.

This is two answers in one, and one contradicts the other. I’ll ask it another way, what’s your current SR and what’s your “true” SR?

Based on io stux- true sr I believe is somewhere in plat. But at the same time I don’t think this system would allow me to get there, due to the faults of the system. 1 fault is allowing people not as skilled as me ranked higher, and the more I play the stronger the magnet I become for attracting casual players.

1 Like

So what’s your explanation for how people have managed to climb from your current SR to your “true” SR?

2 Likes

They grouped with others.
They didn’t play as much.

The ones that train and group up exceed my true sr.

1 Like

So you’ve ruled out the possibility that anyone who solo queues reached your target SR because they’re better than you?

2 Likes

I think if they were better their original placements would have placed them there.

To climb, I mentioned not playing as much. Anyone who starts to play too much.kl

I feel like we can’t have an honest/useful conversation if you refuse to answer straightforward questions.

I’ll ask again: have you ruled out the possibility that solo queuers have reached your target SR because they’re better than you?

4 Likes

On the lower end of the ladder, climbing can become an issue due to teams boat anchoring a good player. The player that should be in a higher SR bracket might get some great opening picks and ask their team to push in… and they won’t, giving up a huge manpower advantage as they mill about at the choke/off-point because the entire enemy team isn’t dead yet, causing lost fights that were easily winnable.

That player will eventually climb, but if they lose half of their games because their team simply WILL not follow up on plays, it’s really down to chance whether they win or lose that match. Most players in the game can’t defeat a 6-man team by themselves. Whatever number that those half of the games were that they lost (that were winnable with good follow-up) need to be won just to get back to where they started.

The lower end of the ladder is just so chaotic for most players that they feel like it’s random chance if they win or lose. You can only really start to rely on random teammates to act on a play around Plat, and that reliability improves as you move up the ladder.

That can make good-but-not-great players feel like climbing is impossible, or impossibly slow, even while moderately skill-gapping the lobby. The only way out of that (for players that are better than the lobby, but aren’t top-percentile) is to queue with friends that they can rely on to follow-up on plays, until they’re playing in a rank that isn’t going to drag them down with bad players… or to just play A LOT of games.

1 Like

i felt this in my soul, always this.

1 Like

There is something wrong with this mmr system. Something “trips”, and then your sr plummets.

Season / career high
After a team up
Special events (after you been playing all season)

It feels like when partnered with Zax, that influenced it somehow. Either the system felt I was boosting him, or he was boosting me at a lower sr. But something remained after I kept playing.

Now I think about it, I partnered with a plat friend of mine when I was near plat, thinking that would help me get over. Then I dropped to low gold/ high silver. But it was long ago I can’t really claim it cause it might have been near 2300s.

It’s a possibility, but I feel this ignores system variables. And believe me even as I climb on the gold accounts I’m taking advantage of system variables. AND another reason I hesitate cause I played with people “better” than me in lower ranks. So how can I 100% say someone who is better will climb when I’ve seen better below?

So I have a problem with “better”. Better aim? Better game sense? A better set of characters? A “better” set of friends that are always on? A “better” region to climb in? A “better” time of day? A “better” mmr that allows them “better” teammates.

And then let’s say they even get to plat, will they hit a losing streak that sends them to silver or gold anyways?

1 Like

Thanks for the response BrightTitan.

I want to point out that I don’t believe I ever stated that the system is unfair. I just said that the system is “difficult” because it forces players to play more matches, which in turn from wonky matchmaking could result in lopsided games, which in turn frustrates a player to make claims that climbing is impossible.

I apologize if my comment made it seem like that was my intention. I am not sure why you have started accusing me of claiming that the system is forcing players to stay at their rank. I have never said that in this post, and even if I did it would not make much sense since I am climbing.

1 Like