SR Decay in OW 2- Why not?

I am not trolling with this question, but it’s well known the problems that alts bring to games by creating SR inflation over time. Given that, why shouldn’t we allow for a reasonable SR decay on accounts over time to at least help stem the problem, esp. if the game goes F2P for PVP?

What do you mean by SR inflation? Are you saying that’s there’s too many alts in Master/GM?

And where would SR decay to, Diamond?

I’ve never seen SR inflation as an issue

2 Likes

I am saying across all the tiers there are too many, so it distorts what a real profile of player vs player skill is. Mathematically there is no doubt about it.

1 Like

Well, are you saying that all inactive alts should slowly derank all the way to Bronze?

Although I do see your point, I don’t think SR inflation or people with “outdated ranks” are really an issue.

2 Likes

So let’s say that if one were actively on one account, then that represents their SR. Why therefore should say a player be unable to make it into say the next tier when the other player has “weighted” the next tier even moreso through alts ? Because that is how it works. In effect the relative weighting of skill is skewed depending on the relative skill of accounts, not players.

the only place where alts affect the ladder placement is t500, simply because there ARE LIMITED SPOTS, any other rank, its null and void.

4 Likes

That is not correct. It changes the relative skill ranking for the rest of the tiers by stacking it because SR is relative to what the MMR thinks is “average” for a tier.

2 Likes

I would like to see SR decay come back from diamond and up.

Smurfs will spend less time on alt accounts. Higher ranking games will have shorter queues because higher elo players won’t be spending months at a time player on low elo ‘alt’ accounts.

Right now there is no incentive for high elo players to play on their mains. No stacking and no decay were poor decisions.

1 Like

I see absolutely no reason for it not to affect all tiers. There are quite a few alts and Smurfs sitting even in Gold and Plat. Again, the SR is a relative value. If you don’t believe this go back and watch video of “Masters” for instance from late 2016; looks like a bunch of high Gold players today.

Another reason is if the game goes F2P on PVP, it will just run wild with an endless sea of alts/smurfs.

no it doesnt, because for every game where the “smurf” rolls you, theres 8 more games without a “smurf”. again, THE ONLY PLACE WHERE IT MATTERS IS T500 DUE TO LIMITED SPOTS, ill spell it out for you, there are ONLY 500 SPOTS. anywhere else on the ladder, it makes NO DIFFERENCE

2 Likes

Bro you literally do not understand how SR works clearly. If you doubt this compare the quality of “Diamond” players from three years ago to now… they look like today’s Golds. The SR is relative ranking by looking at performance across all accounts across all tiers. Alts have the impact of artificially appearing as more players across tiers. It’s that simple.

ill say it one more time…THE ONLY PLACE WHERE ALTS AFFECT LADDER IS T500. ITS THAT SIMPLE. THAT. SIMPLE.

you are just one of those players who is upset because their rank isnt what THEY want it to be.

2 Likes

Sorry but you are just wrong on this. its demonstrable by comparing quality of play across the years, MMR/SR is tied to relative performance across all the accounts.

1 Like

no i am not. your math is flawed. mine isnt.

2 Likes

You literally do not understand how MMR/SR in an ELO system works. I am sorry but I am not wasting my time here. Go do some reading on how the system works then come back with some logic.

1 Like

Since SR is not used for matchmaking, decay exacerbates people being pushed away from their true SR. Your suggestion hurts the average legit player far more than alts, since alts generally stay low enough below their true SR where they can overcome the handicap.

ok, sure thing. you clearly think that in a game where there are ONLY 500 LIMITED spots that alt accounts affect you and others. you are flawed. go join the lawsuit crowd

PRAISE ODIN

2 Likes

No one gives a hoot about top 500 we are talking about the rest of the Ladder. Again you do not understand how the ELO system works obviously. Please at this point its just embarrassing, go read up on it then think about it.

1 Like

thanks for making my argument work. it doesnt AFFECT the rest of the ladder

2 Likes

Realistically roughly half of the matches on EU servers in my experience have alt or smurf accounts. This is made even worse if you stack with friends as the odds of having an alt/smurf on your team diminishes greatly.

1 Like