So...more legendary skins this year than any other year...?

From since post 14, it was clarified by Andy that they weren’t just talking about the remix skins when talking about making more Legendary skins than ever before - why are people skipping over that and continue to complain?

How does the words " not content" diminish their hardwork? Most players distinguish between content (everything playable) and cosmetics (skins, sprays, etc).

It’s not about diminishing anyone’s work, simply noting that it’s not playable? What other term should we use?

2 Likes

Yesss, i felt like being robbed last year when they decided to skip the All Stars skins. I was so sure that it s gonna be McCree, Ashe or Widow.

1 Like

Is it tho? are people actually grateful for breadcrumps? Well slighly different colored breadcrumps in this case

2 Likes

Stop!! Stooop!! They are already dead!!

ah the same old, look, as an artist I really doubt it took dozens of artists to change the color of a skin to literal white and if that’s the case you guys are terrible at optimization, sure we don’t know how things work in the background but if you expect everyone to be happy with some recolors then you barely understand the community’s feelings towards this game

I am disappointed at the vile strategies you guys come up with so that the game stays afloat and then waltz around expecting an unreasonable amount of respect when we don’t see the so called hard work, sure when OW2 beta hits we’ll get a glimpse and THAT I’m excited about but this? come on

I have come to dread Overwatch news because they’re always something to be disappointed about and believe me I have my reserves with the beta but I’m choosing to trust in you, I also believe in the team but clearly you’re no different from the rest of blizzard and you have terrible customer service practices, it was a terrible idea to develop OW2 the way you guys did just as much as it was a terrible idea to even make a post about this recycled content, I have said it many times, don’t announce anything that isn’t OW2, no one wants anything but to get over this roadblock you guys created

You gotta justify your salary I guess but ffs, if you would have just waited until April 6th, release the event, don’t even rename it, just say there won’t be any new skins because of OW2 and instead we’ll get these recolors (yes, use the word, avoiding makes you look untrustworthy) no one would have given a flying duck about it, it is what it is, you’re terrible at buttering people up, don’t do it

19 Likes

Dropping in my experience as a hobbyist 3D character designer. Once the skin has been finalized, changing the color pallet is literally an issue of just selecting the layer and playing with color sliders. This takes very little work and time to accomplish.

13 Likes

Y’all know there’s a beta in ~20 days, right?

I get it. People want new things to do, not “just skins”. So let the team do it’s job.
I’m not gonna pretend like 5v5 gets me excited, but we know OW2 pvp is closer than ever.
Let them focus on one thing.

All this complaining about new content is like telling someone to fix their crooked teeth while they’re wearing braces…

Also… I think a lot of people don’t realize how much work goes into the smallest of changes. So much iteration, testing, and bug fixing goes on behind the scenes before we even hear about a skin. You’d be surprised how a small change can create new bugs or simply reveal existing ones that went unnoticed. Between multiple layers of skin maps, baked shadows, shaders, lighting scenarios, geometry, and renderers, plus testing/iteration for visual clarity, plus whatever hardware quirks from a myriad of different pc configs…yeah, changing colors can cause or reveal issues.

There’s a reason games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Destiny 2 had lighting issues in specific scenarios or certain pc/console + monitor configurations.

And dont get me started on paperwork, documentation, and political bs that needs to happen before some types of work can even start. There’s a bunch of stuff that official devs cannot do or will take longer to do just due to a corporate environment. And then someone who’s never worked in corporate will say “but look at what this modder did in a month”.

Yeah, if the mod breaks your computer it’s on the user, but if the official game breaks your hardware it’s on the company. Devs and modder ironically aren’t playing the same game. That said, in most cases it’s probably not that devs cant do it, it’s that it wasn’t prioritized and/or approved.

There have been occasions I’ve spent weeks in meetings answering technical questions to people who make more than me proving that some specific piece of code/logic works. And then after I got a bunch of approvals it then went through weeks of different teams running validations. In many of those case I made ZERO changes to code and it still took weeks/months due to things outside of my control.

I just…I’m tired. This is a tangent at this point. I’m going to sleep.
Viva 6v6

5 Likes

Bro they literally apologized during Lunar New Year for not giving us more than two legendaries during an event, then said that they realized it was wrong to leave Overwatch floundering without any new stuff and lacking events while focusing on OW2.

Their solution, and your solution, to that problem is to…make it all worse?! Now we’re getting ZERO new legendary skins, AND they cancelled 3 events.

We know OW2 is coming! We know it’s in development!

But we also know the guy in charge of the whole freaking game came out and said “We screwed up by giving you guys barely anything for 3 years, we’re going to do better” and their version of better is literally less?

OW2’s going into BETA next month, and not everyone will be able to play it, and console players get literally nothing. OW2 going into Beta isn’t more content for everybody, and removing 3 events and being done giving us new skins is a terrible way to prove a commitment to not screwing the current players of the current game out of literally anything and everything.

It’d be one thing if OW2 was COMING OUT next month, but it’s not. A select number of players on one single platform will be able to play a small part of it.

And the rest of us? We lose 3 events, we lose 3 events worth of new skins, and we have full assurance- based on which events are cancelled- that we’re not going to see anything of substance until the final quarter of the year. It’s ridiculous.

For that matter, HOW DOES FLICKING THE “TURN EVENT ON” SWITCH ONCE EVERY OTHER MONTH HURT OW2’S DEVELOPMENT? You don’t need to cancel events to develop OW2! How does making Archives’ PVE stuff only available for one single day make OW2 come out faster? Come on!

22 Likes

We want skins, actual skins not just recolors, Archives used to be my favourite event since they used to give us skins related to lore, then the flopped on the historixal skins but they were nice at least, now lets not pretend everyone wanted some recolors

2 Likes

@ ǂMcHanzÒwÓǂ
It’s a compromise. They set up a system that lets them give you all something while they focus on OW2.

And yes, it’s the first beta. And even if most people don’t get in there will be more news and conversation due to it. And there will be more closed betas leading up to at least one or two open betas.

So yeah, th’ve said OW2 is coming for years, but this is the first time the public will get it’s hands on it.

I’m not saying we should be grateful for the changes, but I do think we should be reasonable about them even if it may not exactly match our personal wishes.

I love the archives PVE modes, but I understand that maintaining and updating events requires resources. And I can survive missing a few events if it means OW2 comes out sooner and with fewer issues

@ Huevoasesino
Prior to their announcement, I never expected or thought of these recolors, but now that I’ve actually seen some of them, they actually look pretty good and I do want them.

That said, I too like the lore skins, but OW2 new defaults are technically future lore skins, so them finishing OW2 is very much giving us new skins.

And as Andy already said earlier in the thread, these type of skins aren’t everything. The actual ratio of recolors to 100% new skins is still up in the air, though.

ok, now I’m going to sleep

^ lol.

If it’s taking a team of people to change a color from red to blue, I have little hope that OW2 will EVER be released.

20 Likes

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

My request is to let us know if our credits will vanish for OW2. It would be nice to get confirmation so we can either spend them on the newer skins or hold onto them if we want.

1 Like

Give me the texture files and I will make new recolors in 10 mins. xD

4 Likes

My expectations were so low that you could see them on the other side of the planet, but they managed to go lower.

2 Likes

Y’all know there’s a beta in ~20 days, right?

A beta you, I, and most players won’t even get to play. How is this an argument for the live game having nothing to do and nothing to look forward to? The beta should’ve been in addition to a neat event (archives) not a replacement lol

All im hearing is that the game we know as ow1 might as well not exist. Pretend it’s 2015. There is no overwatch and overwatch is getting betas and releasing in a couple months. Maybe.

They raised expectations after the Lunar new year saying we’d get more legendaries than ever and immediately follow it up with a recolor event with nothing actually unique besides the new colors. I like them, they’re really neat recolors, but they’re still the same skin we already had. Dude anyone could see the backlash from a mile away so why raise expectations. Under promise and over deliver rather than the other way around. It’s no wonder people got mad lmao

7 Likes

Would u rather starve away, with no future ahead of u, or see a small, glimmer of hope, a small light that can tell u that ur time’s not up yet? I’d take the glimmers than nothing at all. But that’s just me.

Can you imagine if Fortnite or Apex stopped releasing content for 3 years?

5 Likes

Apex almost died when it didn’t have content after launch.

3 Likes

So the chances of Lifeguard Mercy coming this decade went out of the window? As well as the two best events - Summer and Halloween - getting axed and replaced with pallete swap events is a thing?

Halloween always had the best skins…

Thanks… I guess?

2 Likes