Some confusion about the CoC Bumping? Necro?

That sounds made up too. Do threads on this forum have a shelf life?

I don’t see one. :passport_control:

Which part? I can go to the CoC and pull up each of the parts I’m talking about if you’d like, since you didn’t read them in full it seems. Even if it doesn’t say “spamming”, it does say Necroing is also against CoC.

You know what part. Don’t try to play me.

There is no difinitive shelf life for threads on this forum. If there were it would have fallen off or been deleted from the forum.

And yet Necroing is still against the CoC. You also know that trying to “loophole” the CoC is against the CoC, right?

It does. That’s the whole point. Old threads contain old info. The game is changing. If I made a thread about Bastion being OP for the 2 weeks that he actually was, even if it happens again in the future that he’s OP again it doesn’t mean it’s for the same reasons or that any of the arguments from that thread would still make sense.

Necroing is just what people call posting on a dead and abandoned thread. It’s from the term Necromancy, to bring something back from the dead.

Yes. And it’s usually pretty obvious.

Well that’s why they also gave us a handy reference

Don’t “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called “necro bumping” or “necroing”). Users who are found to be bumping posts will be subject to forum account suspension and post removal.

There should be no harm in replying to posts that are a few weeks old. Discretion comes into play when they see “# months ago” or “#… later”.

But like everyone else aptly says, it can be as simple as creating a more “current” version of that topic… which appears to work well, because I don’t see a lot of duplicate topics disappear unless I mute them myself.

You’re trolling. I’m serious.

It is confusing when the actual CoC states creating new threads about the same topic is bad.

Then this weird looking “addendumb” about Necroing trying to prevent discussing an existing topic. The confusion is with the made up Necroing thing. We don’t need it. In fact it really isn’t a part of the CoC at all.

The actual CoC prevents or discourages the creation of new threads on the same subject.

Necroing is trying to prevent discussing existing topics because they are…old? Ridiculous.

See where the confusion is? The Necroing is trying to prevent discussing old threads. This forces new threads on the same subject that is against the CoC.

Do you understand now? It’s confusing.

I posted a solution that may help fix the problem on an earlier post in this thread.

I don’t mean to be rude, but I think you may be the only one confused by this. There are similar rules in just about every forum I go on. I really, really can’t tell if you’re trolling or actually confused by something that’s fairly universal across the interwebs.

1 Like

I challenge you to try to count how many nerf and buff threads there are on this forum for each hero.

You might age a little trying…

Why not just do a search, find an existing thread topic that fits what you want to post about, then post it.

The whole idea around it is to reduce the thread clutter on the forum on the same topic.

I guess I have to wait for our better forum participants to help.

You aren’t taking me seriously. :pensive:

At least I understand what “bumping” is. (Thank you)

Necroing looks like a made up thing that tries to prevent me from searching the forum for an existing topic. The term “necroing” appears to be against the CoC itself. Discriminating against old threads with valid topics.

Oh I know. I was confused for a second there, but I meant to say that I sometimes go and mute duplicate topics myself so that I never have to see them again. Anyone can do that. It’s probably why they aren’t heavily moderating to begin with.

The rule doesn’t apply when there are old threads. The rule is in place to prevent people from making a new thread when there is already a thread on the same topic on or near the front page.

The Best Support Otter

~𝕯𝖚𝖘𝖙

Mute threads? I don’t know how to do that.

Front page? The forum seems to be one big page.

I mean more near the top. I use mobile, and I only get a few topics before it loads more, so it seems more like several pages.

The Best Support Otter

~𝕯𝖚𝖘𝖙

/thread.

Hands Darthwinston a cigar

Yes. He gets it. Do you?

The forum is flooded with thread topics. There is a good chance to find a topic that may fit what you want to discuss.

Just use the search function.

Necroing is just bad form. Don’t do it.

There is no justification. If I find an existing thread with a topic that fits the idea I want to discuss the age of the thread topic is irrelevant.

There is no written rule on how old a thread has to be to ignore it.

You know why?

Making a rule to ignore a specific age band of threads is against the CoC itself. No one dares to make such a rule.