Sombra's Nerf from a Sombra player

Honestly, hack has been a bit easy and the Los checker is a reasonable and honestly needed change, even as sombra the 0.1 second thing sometimes hammered me, hacking reapers after they wraith and dvas mech after she used nuke ect.
But the 2 second damage cooldown is gonna hurt, especially for any Sombra’s that somewhat stick with their team in a deathball.
I get that an ability can be overpowered while the hero holding it can be underpowered (footshot arrow anyone?)
But the stats on live do not appear to suggest that sombra as a whole is overpowered, so I would like to suggest a couple of QOL buffs that could accompany these nerfs:

1. Better visuals on hacked enemies. (Swap the colour of the pixel effect for teammates and enemies and/or give us a sugar skull over their heads, the current visuals are too hard to spot.)

2. Let sombra cancel reload animation to hack.

3. Translocator and cloak no longer interrupt reload animation, this honestly will just make her feel much smoother/less clunky.

4. Increase base speed to match tracer and Genji.

These suggestions do not all needed to be given but one or two of them with improve her playstyle without making her OP.
I also put them in order of how important they are as well.

15 Likes

The nerf was never confirmed, ci?

Why’d you buff her ? I agree on the visual effects, but those speed/animation cancel buffs seem kind of unnecessary. Hack and EMP are already ridiculously powerful.

1 Like

Ridiculously meaning strong with intense planning and worthless without teamplay for EMP and mediocre (terrible with the new nerfs) against everything but tanks, Pharah, and Lucio for hack.

Sombra doesn’t need other buffs, she just needs this stupid 2s CD nerf removed and she’ll be perfect. She can keep the other nerfs, they don’t matter.

3 Likes

No, the fact that she can simply hold down the button and get in a right angle to safely hack is stupid with the newly reduced cast time. If Mercy is killed during Rez she has full 30 secs of waiting for another one. And yes, I believe that hack and Rez have equal value. Bringing back a teammate and completely shutting out an enemy is equally powerful.

THANK YOU! The Line of Sight thing is whatever - I don’t think it’s fair to hack someone I’m not even looking at, but 2 seconds is gonna hurt more than headbutting an oncoming train. People don’t like her when she’s ahead of the team/behind the enemy team and poking at them (not a playstyle I endorse 99% of the time, btw), but now they’re mad that she’s staying with her team more often and working with them to neutralize threats up close and personal? We can’t win.

1 Like

I didn’t believe ELO Hell existed until heroes like Junkrat were buffed and Moira was put into the game.

Hack disables some ultimates and completely hobbles some heroes in game environments where people are afraid to take initiative and shuts out people who are willing to, too easily.

making it too easy to use with no drawbacks is bad for the game.

Like I said, go ahead and add the LoS checks and grace period removal, I don’t care about those. But the argument for the 2s CD is so dumb, it’s literally a nerf for a terrible, self-destructive strategy that only pays off on people that already can’t aim and would have died long before to any other pick.

As for hack “completely shutting out an enemy”, it doesn’t. Absolutely no character gets “completely shut out”, not one. Tanks and Pharah take some pretty hard hits, but they can still survive, kill the Sombra, and even still be useful to their team. On top of all that, the MASSIVE difference is that hack is interrupted by ANY damage at all, where other abilities require an actual stun. So how is it fair to use the same rules when hack is 10,000% more flimsy?

1 Like

Really ? All of the heroes have to rely on abilities to unleash their full potential. Tracer with no blinks/Recall is just a dead rat running around.

Not true. Granted she’s much more vulnerable, but she still has a chance. Even all that being said, there are plenty of heroes that have hard counters, why is Sombra not allowed to counter anyone?

You don’t get my point. Fact is, hack is one of most powerful abilities in the game. Blizz is trying to avoid another Mercy scenario. Don’t believe me? Right now, hack brings a lot of value with little counter play to the entire team, just like Valk upon release.

If hack was one of the most powerful abilities in the game, why did Sombra see next to no play till after her buff and even before her buff her only real play was not for standard hacking, but for EMP-botting, which was only nerfed in its charge rate. On top of that, Sombra’s pickrate barely budged post buff, unlike Mercy who skyrocketed after her buff, so that argument really doesn’t hold up.

Also, no counterplay? It has all the same counterplay as any other channeled ability on top of also being interrupted by any damage at all. She can literally take 0 damage as long as she’s still hit with a hostile projectile, it’ll be interrupted. That sounds like some pretty heavy counterplay. I don’t know what more you really want.

4 Likes

That happened with Mercy as well, until people figured out how to maximise the Rezzes. Given enough time, Sombra could potentially dominate as she counters nearly all Supports, minus Zen and Moira.

I mean they are barely buffs in the first place, they’ll just make playing her feel smoother, if you press reload then activate invisible you have to re press reload, clunky, when you come out of invisible you also get reload cancelled, same with throwing and later using translocator. The only thing that should cancel reload in Sombra’s kit doesn’t, instead you have to wait out the animation.

1 Like

Here they confirmed it

No it didn’t… Like 2 days after the Mercy buff there were videos up of people teamwiping with her ult AND Rezzing almost their whole team. They aren’t comparable at all. Sombra doesn’t counter the supports any more than any other flanker already does.

2 Likes

This doesn’t only apply to Sombra. Throwing a shield on Orisa cancels her reload speed, it’s there so it leaves you thinking, not just a bug.

No it didn’t.

http s://imgur.com/EviymNd

Her pick rate went up straight away, not shooting up and then crashing like Sombra.

3 Likes

Look, my point is that hack is really powerful and cheap right now. Needs to be toned down. Why don’t you name me a reason it is good for Sombra to shut down enemies so cheaply?

People had 1.5 years time to learn how to utilize Sombra but everyone came to the conclusion that her kit hasn’t enough of an impact. Fact is, hack has counterplay before and after a target is hacked and fact is also that hack does little more than before the buffs - which actually just happened before hack had too little value.