Sombra is now the only hero in the game who does not gain ult charge from self-healing

Title more or less sums it up. As of the 1.20.0.3 patch that went live today, Sombra is officially the only character in the game who does not gain ultimate charge from self-healing (the ones who do being: Roadhog, Soldier: 76, Bastion, Mei, Ana, Lucio and Moira. Tracer and Mercy do not count, as their methods of “self-healing” do not contribute to their “healing done” stat, unlike the aforementioned characters).

EDIT: Because this is the crux/central point of this discussion, I want to emphasize that all self-heals increases your “healing done” stat when you use them. The user is then given ultimate charge, based on the amount that their “healing done” increased by.

A Roadhog who uses take a breather has his “healing done” increase by the amount that he healed (from 1 - 300), and he gains ultimate charge based on how much he self-healed for.

A Sombra who takes one of her hacked health packs has her “healing done” increase by the amount that she healed for (from 1 - 199). Thus, this is considered a form of self-healing, and she should gain ultimate charge based on how much she self-healed for.

While the rest of the changes have done a world of good for Sombra (including not giving her ult charge from teammates taking her hacked packs, as that was indeed broken) – I feel like it is odd to make her an exception to this rule, which was established in the July 18th, 2016 patch. Even if it was at a reduced rate to how it was on the previous live patch, I believe that Sombra should receive some ult charge from taking her own hacked health packs – as this patch has made them feel very awkward to use.

What was once a defining aspect of her kit – which established the rhythm/flow to the character’s gameplay, which I fell in love with – now, just does not feel good to use. You and your team benefit substantially more from you going to your supports for healing, rather than taking your own hacked health packs – which seems really backwards to me.

Please, don’t single her out. Even if it is in a nerfed state to how it was previously (such as 25-50% less ult charge gained from self-healing with a hacked pack) – bring her back in-line with the rest of the self-healing heroes.

50 Likes

Where do I thumbsup/upvote/+1??

3 Likes

The heart button is how you upvote now.

4 Likes

Health packs aren’t self healing. No other character gains ultimate charge from health packs.

62 Likes

Doesnt matter she doesnt need it anymore. With the reduced spread you can consistently hit enemies more which means your ult will charge just as fast as it did before.

Its literally NO different than before except reverse. Drop trans on pack, run it and shoot enemies (gain ult) jump back to pack and repeat.

7 Likes

Yes… because no other character can hack a health pack, and increase their “healing done” stat by taking it.

We’re talking about hacked health packs here. Not ordinary health packs.

4 Likes

Yes, no other character gains ultimate charge from hacked health packs either.

11 Likes

EMP still charges pretty quick

1 Like

And that is perfectly fine

3 Likes

EMP just got massively buffed with the changes to Hack

It’s okay that she can’t get charge from health packs anymore, especially when she’s doing more damage and getting ult form that anyways.

5 Likes

Played sombra on qp just now and got ultimate just after 3 kills… easy peasy

I think reduced ult charge from self healing would’ve been a cleaner solution than making her get no ult charge at all from self-healing. It would keep the game internally consistent while still being a nerf to that aspect of her game.

3 Likes

You logically know why they made it like this. They explained it clearly why they needed to disable that function. She would be too overwhelmingly oppressive with both styles. Why do you people act like things must follow a certain principle? It’s a friggin video game :expressionless:

Her emp is also worthy of being slower to charge with how much more it can hack now.

5 Likes

The spread decrease is not substantial enough to make your ult charge as fast as it was before. Play with her for a while, and you’ll see that it’s quite a deal slower, even if your accuracy is good.

However, that’s not the point of this argument anyways.

As I said in the OP, you benefit your team more by getting healed by your supports, rather than dropping your trans on a hacked pack and going back to it for healing. It’s true that you can still use that play style, but you’re hurting your team by doing that. And even if it’s marginal – that seems wrong.

1 Like

“No other hero doesn’t get ult charge for self-healing except the other two that also don’t”

Lmao

6 Likes

Video games establish and follow rules… that’s what makes it a game.

You’re right, they did make it clear. To quote the patch notes:

The goal was to make it so her ult couldn’t be farmed at insane speeds by tanks with large health pools. I can agree that, that needed to go. Giving her ultimate charge gain off of self-healing would still accomplish that goal. Sombra’s 200 hp would act as a “cap” to how much charge could be gained from a single pack – making it still charge EMP slower than it did before, while maintaining some benefit to picking it up.

1 Like

Fun Fact Mercy’s passive actually DOES go towards her overall healing it just doesn’t give her ult charge. That’s besides the fact though. I do agree that it’s a little butt jarring for Sombra to not get ult charge from hacked health packs but that’s all it is, “jarring” it’s nothing to bad and I can honestly live it with if it makes her less of an EMP not and more of an actually offensive hero.

3 Likes

So, it’s clear that the point went straight over your head.

Tracer and Mercy’s “self-healing” does not increase their healing done stat. That is why “self-healing” was in quotes. Because true self-healing, such as Roadhog’s take a breather, Soldier’s biotic field, Bastion’s repair, etc. all do increase their healing done stat – and thus, they gain ultimate charge from it.

Sombra’s healing done stat increases when she picks up a health pack. Yet, she does not gain ultimate charge from it. Making her the only character who does not gain ultimate charge from self-healing.

Hope that cleared things up for you.

2 Likes

Balance doesn’t mean it follows principles though. Why should sombra folllow some irrelevant statistic that you’re focusing on if it would make her inconsistent to balance.
(And even then i dont personally see it as balance since it looks like power creep to me)

It’s alrdy clear that they want her to be more combat focused and less of an emp farm bot. And there’s alrdy so much to gain from a hacked health pack. Not giving ult or following your stressed principle isnt the end of the world

2 Likes

Amen. Nerfing the amount of charge gained from taking hacked health packs enough would have gotten rid of the “EMP bot” play-style anyways – if it was slow enough that it became a small “bonus,” rather than something that can be abused. Now, the mechanic has been taken to the other extreme, and is arbitrarily exempt from any already establish rules about healing.

1 Like