Sombra balance idea

The kit is frustrating. She’s bad at low ranks and borderline OP in pro play. She needs a balance change that increases her general effectiveness while making her less annoying. A 6 second hack is OP, but Sombra on the whole isn’t.

Overall I think she needs a buff, but hack itself needs a nerf. The buff has to be big enough to make her better not worse.

2 Likes

I’m curious what a couple Sombra mains I respect feel about this, so I invited them.

1 Like

So basically make her a pure shooter.

She’d still be a stealth hero with a lot of movement, but her silence would be closer to the length of a stun except when caused by EMP which would still have the full duration.

I know a lot of Sombra players feel she doesn’t do enough damage while tank players like myself feel like hack has little counterplay and is basically a death sentence.

I’m trying to solve both of these problems at the same time.

1 Like

I don’t think these are bad suggestions.

The only one that I’m not too keen on is the hack silence lasting 2 seconds. I’m not a fan of lowering her hack duration to 2 seconds, because at that point it’s such a high risk, low reward when I could switch to a hero that stuns and get better results, faster, without the risk of it failing the way that hack can.

Unless, by silence you mean stealth? If so, ignore the above :sweat_smile:

I’m not too unhappy with where she’s at. Especially with the Doomfist nerfs and Brigitte nerfs incoming (though I’m unhappy they’re both getting butchered because of pro players crying).

The only change I’d give her at this moment in time is just…something to make that coordination easier to work in ladder. Currently, hacking a target will give them a little cybernetic wave effect. The problem is, that effect is the same color as the enemy outline. Most of the “hey, team! This is a GOOD thing for our team!” effects that happen (i.e. allies hit by friendly Ana grenade, Orisa/Reinhardt barrier, Lucio’s sound barrier, Zenyatta’s transcendence) are all in a different color than your enemy team’s to clearly distinguish it. But, hack doesn’t do that.

IMO hack should either:

1. Create the cybernetic effect in your team’s color instead of the enemy’s

or

1. Create a sugar skill over the enemy

Your team would clearly see that the enemy is hacked and who to capitalize on.

I’m glad you highlighted that coordination is what makes her really find value. I’d rather focus on minor adjustments - instead of buffs or changes to where her power lies - to assist with that before anything else in her kit is touched.

But - again! Not bad suggestions. My only concern is that I don’t want her to be too similar to Tracer, too, but these would be neat to test out just to see what it’d be like.

2 Likes

Thank you for the invite Lumin. I was at work when you sent the invite so I couldn’t provide my feedback sooner.

I agree with you when it comes down to Sombra, as she is really tricky to buff as that small buff can make or break her. The thing is with Sombra is that she is really really team dependent on her team, meaning she is only has good has her team to a certain degree.

Here are my changes that I would make,

Sombra’s Machine Pistol is fine honestly, all it needs is a reduce in spread. I proposed a reverse bloom where the longer she hold the machine pistol the more accurate it gets.

Sombra’s Hack to me is also fine, just need some QoL changes such as Sugar Skull above hacked enemies. They added to B.O.B and in the PvE events, why not add it in the rest of the game.

Picture Below for the image.

I honestly do not understand why the devs are taking there time with this changes, as many Sombra and non-Sombra Players are requesting this as out of all the de-buffs indicators, Sombra is very very lack lustering.

Example:

Sombra’s Stealth All that is needed is a cast time reduction from 0.7 seconds to 0.5 seconds. I want them to increase the speed, but I have a change that will indirect effect this.

I also seen ideas of putting this on a resource meter. Not a bad idea honestly, and let her use this at free will, I mean she can no longer contest.

Sombra’s Translocator, I am fine with how it function now. It has counter plays… something that people was complaining about before. I know, and yes people was complaining about her having a “get out of jail free card”

Sombra’s EMP, like you said, it is fine, as soon as they add the Sugar Skull icon above hacked enemies, this ultimate would be golden.

Sombra’s Base Movement Speed need to be increase from 5.5 m/s to 6.0m/s to match Genji and Tracer. I made a mega-thread explaining why, as I will link it here. [MEGA-THREAD] Sombra's Base Movement Speed Changes 💜 (Click Me)

Other than that, Sombra is in a pretty good spot, as she is not OP nor a must pick.

2 Likes

Hack has to go. It needs to be replaced with something, but it is the worst mechanic in the game…by far

Yeah yeah, we know how you feel about hack.

But it’s not going to go. :man_shrugging: And there is sufficient counterplay to it whether you choose to accept that or not.

4 Likes

Really Jaxtaro, you really think being hack is the worst mechanic in the game?

Yes, I do, it is predicated upon the fact that another player has the ability to eliminate the specific choice of character that I made for long durations by transforming them into a generic character.

That, and the astounding fact that it literally prevents one support character from performing their primary function and not any others makes it absurd.

Insta kill abilities are vastly preferable to having your choice removed from you.

So what I’m gathering is that you’re biased.

The only support that gets effective the most is LUCIO, but other than that, pretty much all the supports can still preform his or her job enough to last through the duration of Hack, where as if it was anyone else who has a Stun and not a silencers, the support would have been good as dead.

2 Likes

But he counters my favorite hero REEEEEEEE

Even with her, he’s still:

1. Meta
  2. Higher pickrate
  3. Higher winrate in most ranks (sub GM)

Sooooo nah. He’s fine. lol.

2 Likes

Everyone giving their opinion is biased, that is the idea behind giving an opinion, to unveil your bias.

This isn’t news story journalism shi h should generally be bias free, even if it often fails, this is a forum, where bias isnt necessarily a negative.

When you’re asking for a hero to be fundamentally changed because you don’t like it - it’s a bit negative. :wink:

1 Like

That was my point exactly. No skill should prevent one member of a class from performing their primary function and none of the others. That is the exact definition of arbitrary and inconsistent.

I agree. :wink:

1 Like

If it were just me, portraying me as crazy would be effective and valid, however hack is nearly universally despised by everyone but Sombra mains.

Definitely not universally hated. :man_shrugging: That’s an exaggeration lol.

That applies to:

1. Genji
  2. Moira
  3. Mei
  4. Junkrat
  5. D.Va

Basically, any hero is despised besides their main lmao. I know you dislike her, and you can have that opinion, but she is not universally hated. That’s an exaggeration.

I dislike a lot of heroes on the roster but rather than wanting the “unfun” mechanic to be altered, I’d rather learn to work around it, or wait until something is introduced to counter it.

Altering a hero because “unfun” is not a good argument and I will not agree with that.

The thing though, and I might be biased for this.

That is not a concerning for Sombra, it the flaw in design when making Lucio, as they tied his healing/ speed aura behind a passive active ability, rather than his primary weapon.

I am honestly fine with the interaction between Lucio and Sombra to say the very least, as a Sombra Main, there are targets that are a little bit more important to hack, as yes he is one of top prioritizes since he is an support who utilize in utilities via through abilities, but as of right now, even if you hack a Lucio, he is not a GUARANTEE FREE KILL as people make it out to be.

When I play support, and someone on my team goes Lucio and the enemy team has a Sombra, I usually let them know that the Sombra will be harassing you, therefore, still within my LoS so I can not only look out after you to at least prevent Sombra from hacking you via through one damage to put her ability on cooldown and have her restart, but also just in case if myself or any other teammate can not simply prevent her from hacking you, then just know that I will top you off with consistency of healing during the duration.

2 Likes