Soldier 76 is gay?

I get that this could be Blizzard trying to give his character more depth, but we have become so used to how little information we have about these heroes and their world. Most of Overwatch’s lore has been unknown for 2+ years so something like this is bound to not feel cohesive.

did you just assumed my gender?

No it’s not too many.

No the game went downhill when they tried to force it into an esport and stopped being active in the community. The politics angle only gummed up the works because now there are tens of thousands of extra threads to sort through that don’t have anything to do with the actual game making the chance of constructive discussion about the game that much harder. I was just referencing that since you seemed to be a newcomer to this place, the community was completely different during beta and the first 6 months of the game.

It got almost completely replaced with a new community that didn’t care about the things that made the game what I wanted in the first place. I have two signed posters from the blizzcon before launch hanging on my wall, I wanted this game to succeed more than just about anything I can think of. But it is a hollow shell of what it was and it is only painful now to think about it.

I didn’t even transfer an account over to these new forums until today because I hadn’t even thought about overwatch in ages until I saw talk about soldier on reddit. I could care less if they make every single character gay straight or a yoyo, I just want the community back and the game back that we had at launch. But I know that can never happen so I make the occasional pop up here every 6 months or so and that’s about it. :frowning:

1 Like

I should be sleeping but here I am reading this. Why? I have no idea.

a short story Blizzard just released on twitter

How does it look forced?

As if being gay has anything to do with a person’s character or personality whatsoever

We have no confirmation Soldier is gay either. What you said about Widow also applies to him. We learnt that Soldier sacrificed relationships for his work, and that includes his relationship with his former boyfriend. The story wasn’t ‘oh I’m gay now’.

1 Like

Thank you.

These are all characters from games I’ve played and remember the names of but whatever, you do you.

Approximately 1.2 to 6.8% (yes I googled that) of the adult population identify as LGBT.
There are more heterosexual people than there are homosexual and bisexual, so logically there is going to be more heterosexual representation, that’s how it works.

People always lose their mind about this. They will get over it in a few days and go back to screeching for mercy to be nerfed again. I am more excited that it confirms that family reaper was creeping on in the Christmas comic was more than likely his kid and now grandchild living their life and gives him a little more than just argh evil edgelord.

1 Like

I’m seeing more people complaining about people who are homophobic than I have seen homophobic people, which was like 1 person who was obviously trolling.

2 Likes

Im more surprised that there is actually new Overwatch lore.

2 Likes

The best analogy I have is this:

You go to watch a Star Wars movie.
By all of what we know of the “real world” and Star Wars, the Sith in Star Wars wear black and darker colors with Red lightsabers while Jedi wear different colors and blue/yellow/pink/purple/green sabers.
Sith Lord comes on screen wearing a baby blue robe and a green lightsaber.
Jedi master comes on screen and pulls out a red lightsaber.
You could say “well that’s realistic, not all Sith HAVE to have a red lightsaber and wear all black, it’s just a stereotype!” and guess what… you’d be right. They don’t HAVE to.
BUT, the marketing for the company knows that the people who like Sith usually like them for their red sabers and dark clothing. It’s not that they couldn’t have a blue saber if they wanted, I suppose, and the writers could work that in.
But Lucasfilm know what their fans want when it comes to the looks of characters and they market them to who likes their characters…

Take for example the force awakens. Good guy from sand planet, bad guy wearing all black with a mask and voice changer. Sound familiar? It should, because it’s basically A New Hope… because they took a formula that was already liked and marketed it towards people who they knew liked it.

Creating this kind of depth for Soldier 76 is a bad choice because it markets him towards a different audience than who the character looks like he’s intended for.
You don’t buy a Prius with the engine of a Ferrari, and vice versa.

3 Likes

The funny part about everyone complaining about the gay agenda is that if you list the ones “unambiguously heterosexual”, you get a list of three heroes: Ana, Torbjörn and Widowmaker.

Everyone else can be anything in the Kinsey Scale simply because we have zero hints from their romantic interests. Chu even told us that McCree was not romantically involved with Ashe, so he is still incognito.

1 Like

I main Soldier 76 and I’m happy.

1 Like

I’m surprised it’s Soldier, but don’t care in the slightest. It’s a fictional character. Most of my favorite characters in this game are female and I don’t think about that either, I choose to play them because they are fun.

1 Like

I would buy a Toyota.

Is it bad marketing? Any kind of visibility media is good. This sparks a lot of stuff. Bad and good. People talk about it.

And I LOVED the Last Jedi, but that doesn’t mean that it was a good choice for a Star Wars movie or that the choices made in the film were correct I.E Killing off Luke, Killing Snoke, Luke being grumpy, etc.

1 Like

Or bi but that’s the implication. It’s what we deserve this 20biteen