So... Why Don't we Have Sugar Skulls?

I don’t understand, like… they are already in the game. It happens with Turrets, Bob, Orisa Drum… so why can’t we just have it?

I don’t think it’s balance because Sombra sits unlike Symm, Torb and other such heroes with low pick rates and high win rates… Sombra has low pick rates and low win rates. Even OWL stats aren’t all that stellar.

I don’t art via computers so I am genuinely asking, is it a programming thing? Do turrets get a different registration that players don’t? if so, why make the current hack indicator what it is? Red swirlies aren’t very obvious to anyone including a hacked target’s allies. It’s super frustrating to have my teammate’s act like I just … let the enemies exist when I have my ult, or that I wanted to die as a support for fun etc. And I’m not exempt from this. I try to support my Zen/Lucio but I can’t literally watch them every second. So when we have beat, I feel safe and secure to fight with a defensive ult on the ready. When we die and beat wasn’t used, I’m sitting there confused and lo and behold, Lucio was hacked and I just didn’t see it. I wasn’t secure and I just didn’t know. It’s frustrating.

Can’t we change the indicator? Even if you want to keep the sugar skull for turrets only, can the hack color be purple instead of red? Or put a timer countdown on the hacked hero? I genuinely can’t imagine that a perma zen orb is fine, or bright turret lasers, or iced over stalled heroes, or a healing aura from a non-support hero, are somehow entirely OP because allies can visually see the utility in-force.

Again, I’m just genuinely confused. The indicator function is already in the game. Why can’t it just be relevant to more people?

28 Likes

This honestly has been the question of the year for two years actually.

It’s odd that they gave a better visual for a PvE when it comes into relation between Sombra and an enemy, but this has been one of the most demanding QoL changes ever since Sombra was release.

37 Likes

It’s always been weird . Like, on launch for the sugar skull, I thought it was going to be a net change. And then … It wasn’t???

Turretw used to have the red indicator same as players. why change just ONE??? WHO thought that was… Even worth it? That’s seems like More work???

3 Likes

Laziness is the only reason i can come up with. They cant be oblivious enough to ignore hundrets of threads demanding this over the course of 3 years.

4 Likes

probably - visual clutter after emp

1 Like

Then why add it against omnics in uprising?

5 Likes

I agree, I just wish they changed her visual swirls to an actual sugar skull… I been hearing the reason for the dev to change the visual indication to sugar skull I because of visual cluster while playing the game, but of course I disagree.

The best changes they could give to Sombra is a way to help the team to indicate who’s hacked etc.

1 Like

Yeah, a lot of people want it, myself included. There shouldn’t be a technical reason why it won’t work aside from maybe having to draw it above a moving/teleporting figure and their name. Loading a mini animation above a character should cause more load but don’t know how much.

I think they just feel it is distracting, honestly. Visual clutter is something many devs try to avoid and having 6 people on the point with sugar skulls above their heads may look more annoying than they want. They want players to ideally be paying attention to enemy’s reloading/movements/etc and make instant judgements on the situation, not looking around floating icons to see the person behind them.

Personally, I would enjoy if we had a visibility slider for it to combat that. Or even a choice. For PVE – I feel like they can allow it there because that whole mode is more of a shooting in the barrel thing. Not nearly the same as Tracer darting through targets in OWL/etc.

Maybe they will add it some day - I feel like many characters need little tweaks and changes. The devs did a visual overhaul before (even buffing hack’s visuals) so it could happen again.

Oh— and as an artist, I have to also throw out that this may all just be because they don’t keep all their artist’s paid and on deck vs the programmers/number changers. Animation changes and adjustments may be a bigger job than they want to invest in so I’d see something like this piggybacking the next big influx of artist projects (future hero release); assuming it is on the dev’s agenda.

They had no issue adding it for uprising even though you could have way more omnics on screen than 6. Strangely enough, visual clutter wasnt an issue back then neither for the devs nor did anyone from the community complain about it.

7 Likes

It should not be a Problem I just made a workshop mode where it works no prob (sadly I could not test it with more players and only bots nobody joined nor did I have any friend that where on that could help me :,( Will test it in the Future tho)

Here is the code if you want to test it yourself: W5PX6

Edit: Video Added
Its 3 Rules, I have no expience in Programming anything before Workshop and in Workshop I made 2 modes (one still WIP) both of with only had really simpel rules.

So from the Programming side of things it should be absulutly no problem other then add a Sombra’s skull image instead of a Skull Icon.

And

Also doesn’t seem to be a Problem here maybe in a fight it would be a bit more but I doubt that if they make the Skulls not all to big (The same size as the Icon).

2 Likes

I just wish the devs would give the most highly request QoL change for Sombra since her release.

2 Likes

Yea Like 99.9% of Sombra mains on the Forum wanted this since launch but the devs never said anything on the Topic.

7 Likes

Because they dont read forum feedback. You cant tell me that they came up with infinite durations based on suggestions.

7 Likes

It’s been a frequent request, but I would guess there are two main things holding them back:

1. The lingering skull icon currently means an object is completely disabled, as all hacked NPC omnics/constructs are. (BOB is an exception to many rules, including getting the skull icon when disabled.)

2. The skull icon and ultimate indicator would likely have to overlap and potentially make the visuals less readable.

Personally I don’t think there would be that much of a readability issue by stacking them. I’ve previously suggested simplifying the ultimate indicator a little and stacking it on top:

There are thousand of awesome art skin concept for every hero already.It just depend on Jeff to which one to release first.Like they said,we don’t like to rush.

Because Omnics don’t care about visual clutter.

We don’t need more visual icon clutter floating above peoples heads. The current way is VERY visible now, enough so people know whos been hacked. It doesn’t take that much “skill” to notice it.

I mean, idk about that since pros still say she requires more communication then hey peers. And there are other ways to give better visuals.
Hack could turn the target purple for example. Like nano or freeze changes the target entirely or dynamite

1 Like

Haha nice joke…

You can see the one I made in the workshop if the optimize that Visual clutter should be absolutely no problem.

I’ve rarely played Sombra and even I’ve suggested it.

I made this a couple months ago.

If they’re afraid of a big skull being too much visual clutter they could make something like this. Just imagine the pattern is randomized and maybe a little slower instead of being a looping gif. I know this would make it a lot easier to notice if someone was hacked vs the red swirls that blend in with the enemy highlight color.