So people with Cricket Wireless cannot play OW?

So dose boost mobile fall in the prepaid category? Because when i linked my phone to the battle.net account i was able to get the verification code and it link without any issue and i pay once every month so

I might be mistaken, but it probably is not about ‘prepaid’ functionality, but about operator support for shortcode SMS messages. You know, those SMS where you get a sender name, but no phone number. For example the one sent by Blizz is literally called “Verify” and there is no number associated with it when you check message details, the phone even tells you “You cannot reply to this short code” when you open the message.

Now these are probably not supported on some US prepaid providers like Cricket. This results in those numbers not being able to receive verification messages, which is why they are rejected.

Unfortunately if network doesn’t support this, ActiBlizz can’t do much about it if they want phone number being tied to the account.

There are lots of google results about various services not working with Cricket because of this lack of short code support.

This also means saying “prepaid is not supported” is a bit incorrect if this is really the reason - it is more about what network supports. Many European prepaid services work with shortcodes just fine.

4 Likes

Yes. In America postpaid plans are directly from Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile billed end of the month. If you’re on anything else it’s a prepaid MVNO that uses their cell towers. Seems like some are working while others aren’t.

My number was also originally provided by Verizon. The error I get when I try to link them says prepaid will not be allowed and customer support cannot override this. Probably just lucky that the mint numbers aren’t on the list for whatever reason. I assume there’s going to change this, about half the country uses prepaid.

As someone said previously, you need a cell service that supports SMS short codes, the fact that cricket doesn’t is wild, but that’s not blizzards fault

That’s a pretty terrible move then and will alienate a legitimate portion of the playerbase. I’ve had this number connected to battlenet for years so they probably grandfathered prepaid numbers in.

3 Likes

I just logged in successfully. Am I good? Or technology monster go brrrrr on the 4th

Multiple account user mad about phone requirements preventing them from using multiple accounts.

:astonished:

Too bad it also impacts people with just one account as well.

I have cricket wireless and they aren’t accepting my mobile number I’ve had for more than a decade.

Because of these features, I can’t play OW2. I’d rather have to deal with Smurfs than be blocked because of my cell phone provider.

Don’t care about not having multiple accounts, but now I can’t play with my account with hundreds of hours and I haven’t even done anything wrong.

4 Likes

inb4 “just get different phone plan 4head”

2 Likes

Honestly, I’d reach out to Support about that. If they can’t resolve it, you may have to find someone trustworthy enough to let you use their phone number.

Would be nice if Blizz made a deal with some companies or something and got players who don’t have it some really nice discounts, amirite? Course, since T-mobile pulled out of OWL, don’t think that’s gonna happen.

Huh? I have 3 phones. I can’t activate any account with a cricket number.

Fun fact: Crickets are incredibly annoying insects.

1 Like

I have used my phone number for other games that have SMS authentication as an option (not a requirement to play, however), but simply because my service provider is Cricket, it is not good enough for Blizzard at the moment.

I genuinely hope this is just an oversight on their part. According to current numbers, 10 million subscribers in the U.S. use Cricket, I feel there is no way Blizzard would be that dense to cut off that many potential or returning players like that. If it is intentional, then I have no words.

5 Likes

Yup I already prepaid for the beta pack also. I only have cricket wireless. This phone number works with every other app for verification except for blizzard (telegram, whatsapp, facebook, google). I guess blizzard security is higher than those guys for verification.

4 Likes

I have cricket as well, and could not use my number, even though it had formerly been my number from Verizon.

What did work for me was downloading the Talkatone app from the play store. That let me create a local number that would be acceptable to blizzard. I bought 60 Talkatone credits for 99 cents so i could receive text messages from blizzard. Blizzard sent my Talkatone number the 4 digit confirmation code to set up the Blizzard authenticator app on my phone so i dont need that phone number anymore, and I’m now ready for overwatch 2 tomorrow.

Blizzard still sucks for creating this hoop for real players when this method to bypass the requirement shows their authentication won’t stop people who want multiple accounts from getting them at all, but hopefully this helps my fellow crickets.

7 Likes

An estimated 27 million of us both Cricket and other providers alone will not be able to play this game at all. It sickens me that so many of us dedicated players who regardless of spending a year or YEARS to support this IP are being slapped in the face for not being able to spend money on specific carriers or better yet even get access to anything else.

Tell me why I-and SO many others were at fault when they released the SMS protection info without providing specifics on the limited services that are “ok”

Tell me why as a VETERAN PLAYER am I being barred from this IP I adore so much, all because Cricket isn’t your typical HUGE carrier (which tbf is kinda an understatement cause it still is)

And before anyone brings up the “Well you could afford a PC to play the game so why not a better phone plan 4head?” No. For 1-that completely dismisses that stuff happens in life-medical emergencies, jobs, mental health, etc etc. All of it can be changed or shutdown in a matter of seconds where we cannot afford any other options at all.

The worst part about this whole situation is that the hugest creators-even Sty (as much as I love him) - have yet to make a dedicated video on this BS. The community is, has, and always WILL be owed an answer to this classist, shameful act of a system that clearly glossed over the MILLIONS of people it will sadly burn in the process.

8 Likes

This is genuinely annoying. I am now stuck here wondering what to do since I can’t even use my phone number to play this game. This game is losing MANY people for this issue and they aren’t even fixing it? Ridiculous

2 Likes

trust me ive been looking for a couple of days but cant find a solution and im mad