So people with Cricket Wireless cannot play OW?

Are you saying that literally even though I own 3 overwatch accounts all in good standing that I cannot play OW anymore and OW2 when it comes out because I use Cricket Wireless???

That’s literally what the game and support is telling me.

21 Likes

I think if you already had your phone number connected to battlenet it should work. I’ve been on prepaid for the last few years and connected my phone number just fine.

Guess we’ll find out on launch day but I’m not giving up my phone plan to play ow2

3 Likes

“Do you guys not have phones (with the specific networks we allow)?”

26 Likes

I have AT&T so I’m good but the issue is I don’t want to play OW2.

1 Like

No, this is happening today. This is already in effect. I cannot launch OW 1. I try to use my account and it won’t like Cricket Wireless through because it’s prepaid. LIKE OMG.

7 Likes

Weird. I have mint mobile and I can still log into ow1 console.

Thats tough luck for sure. If you try to add your number and it doesnt work, maybe check with your ISP.

I have mint mobile and that’s on the T mobile network so it’s fine, idk about cricket wireless, I think that’s a pay as you go pretty trash coverage plan (no offense)

Actually, Cricket is other people’s networks just like strait talk. T Mobile is garbage where I am, ATT and Verizon are good. ATT is the network I’m on. I have 3 phones on ATT with tethering and 10gigs of data each phone on 5G for $100 with Cricket. It’s tough to beat.

1 Like

I’m hoping they expand support for other carriers. Getting locked out of the game you love playing because of your phone is… So dumb.

If you receive SMS you should be fine, it’s burner phones that are going to be a problem

1 Like

No, it doesn’t work like that right now. It’s already out to link to the number. It will not allow numbers from any prepaid.

So you don’t pay monthly for your plan? How does your cost work? Like I pay yearly but that’s because I chose to, it’s cheaper annually as opposed to monthly

1 Like

I pay monthly ahead of time. Like I paid the first month for the service there no bill at the end. Cricket is owned by AT&T but will put you on the Verizon network in some locals where AT&T is sketch, though lets be real AT&T is generally really good.

Cricket wireless is just another MVNO like mint mobile. All the prepaid companies piggyback off the big 3 carriers so if mint worked for me idk why Cricket wouldn’t.

Originally this phone number was a postpaid Verizon 5 years back but has long since been prepaid.

1 Like

So dose boost mobile fall in the prepaid category? Because when i linked my phone to the battle.net account i was able to get the verification code and it link without any issue and i pay once every month so

I might be mistaken, but it probably is not about ‘prepaid’ functionality, but about operator support for shortcode SMS messages. You know, those SMS where you get a sender name, but no phone number. For example the one sent by Blizz is literally called “Verify” and there is no number associated with it when you check message details, the phone even tells you “You cannot reply to this short code” when you open the message.

Now these are probably not supported on some US prepaid providers like Cricket. This results in those numbers not being able to receive verification messages, which is why they are rejected.

Unfortunately if network doesn’t support this, ActiBlizz can’t do much about it if they want phone number being tied to the account.

There are lots of google results about various services not working with Cricket because of this lack of short code support.

This also means saying “prepaid is not supported” is a bit incorrect if this is really the reason - it is more about what network supports. Many European prepaid services work with shortcodes just fine.

4 Likes

Yes. In America postpaid plans are directly from Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile billed end of the month. If you’re on anything else it’s a prepaid MVNO that uses their cell towers. Seems like some are working while others aren’t.

My number was also originally provided by Verizon. The error I get when I try to link them says prepaid will not be allowed and customer support cannot override this. Probably just lucky that the mint numbers aren’t on the list for whatever reason. I assume there’s going to change this, about half the country uses prepaid.

As someone said previously, you need a cell service that supports SMS short codes, the fact that cricket doesn’t is wild, but that’s not blizzards fault