So Overwatch was hitting nearly a billion in 2020 and 2021?

According to their statistics and revenue reviews. Overwatch was still making around 800 million in the years 2020 and 2021.

Inch-resting

https ://www.tweaktown.com/news/85996/overwatch-made-less-than-10-of-activision-blizzards-2021-revenues/index.html

33 Likes

How much of that would be from just-as-predatory lootbox purchases?

4 Likes

So you have a source for that?

2 Likes

The point of this thread is to show that Blizz werent suffering ā€˜justifyingā€™ the excessive monetisation thx

51 Likes

Yes it does. The shareholders need more moneyā€¦ Remember the scandal they had to endureā€¦ Poor guys they just need a few extra dollars

12 Likes

https:/ /www.tweaktown.com/news/85996/overwatch-made-less-than-10-of-activision-blizzards-2021-revenues/index.html

7 Likes

Okay? Iā€™m still interested in knowing how much of that ~800 million was derived from predatory (but condoned) practices, as opposed to, say, box sales.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter not even half of that would have gone to Devs or servers.

Less than a quarter for ow2.

Then they cry like beggars that they arenā€™t making money of ow

2 Likes

Does it look like i work for blizzard?

5 Likes

Okay, so you donā€™t know. Thanks.

yeesh

5 Likes

unironically ow1ā€™s lootbox were just about anything but predatory. The only annoying bit was event only cosmetics and the few three weeks skin challenges, but that isnā€™t ā€œlevel up 55 times to get a new heroā€ or ā€œgrind dozens of annoying challenges to get done fasterā€.

And i donā€™t think there were ever $20 normal legendaries

23 Likes

If I had to guess Iā€™d bet that box sales make up a far greater share of that revenue than many would suspect. Smurfing is big business :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Need vs greed

It works because people are easily convinced of the formerā€¦.

18 Likes

Those of us who had the willpower to not gamble on lootboxes benefitted greatly, thatā€™s for sure. I have pretty much every skin I could ever dream of having on every character, including a large number that Iā€™m never realistically going to play.

But I have to wonder how much of that was funded on the backs of people with poor impulse control, gambling issues, or little regard for money. I made out like a bandit, yes, but Iā€™m curious as to whether those people shouldered my burden.

I can believe it. Even though Iā€™ve barely touched Comp since early this year, thereā€™s always a good amount of bronze borders in QP. It would also be interesting to see how much money Blizz is foregoing on smurfs while gambling on skin DLC nickle-and-diming in OW2.

5 Likes

iā€™m not saying it wasnā€™t predatory on some level, i just wholly disagree itā€™s ā€œjust as predatoryā€ as whatever ow2 is doing

6 Likes

2019 - $649 million
2020 - $800 million
2021 - $880 million

So letā€™s think about this, because to the average kid these seem like astronomical numbers and they think ā€œhurrr why they rob me wif monetizashunā€ā€¦

So by the table OW did not make even those numbers, but below them. Letā€™s say they made 90%ā€¦ sounds great eh? Look at this table:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ATVI/activision-blizzard/financial-statements

Now look particularly at the line marked ā€œEBITā€ - that is net income after [EDIT: before] taxes and interest. For 2021 its only 3.2 Billion. Sounds like a lot, right? Bear in mind less than 10% of that is Overwatch - it might not even be 5% in reality. But letā€™s call it 10%.

If OW made less than 10%, then it made less than 320 million. Now to the average person this sounds like a lot, but for a company at this scale its actually not.

The writer clearly doesnā€™t understand how to read the financial statements and misreported. To the untrained ear they think ā€œwow those greedy you-know-whatsā€ but in the world they are in, for other companies like Riot, they are doing terribly financially.

I need to ask my wife who has a masters in accounting to help me deduce the likely number after EPS, I donā€™t believe EBIT includes that, which is another payout from that remaining number.

9 Likes

You are not special for not spending anything extra on Overwatch. Stop placing yourself on a pedestal whilst immediately belittling and attacking those that did. Many people, like myself, donā€™t have poor impulse or gambling issues. We chose to buy it because we enjoyed the ā€˜presentā€™ vibe it gave, whilst appreciating the devs for their work at the time.

You are out of order.

3 Likes

If it wasnā€™t for hero unlocks Iā€™d disagree with you. I feel that a battle pass/cosmetic shop is simply more apparent - I forget that purchasing loot boxes is even an option sometimes. But since future hero unlocks are a thing? Maybe.

I donā€™t think that literally everyone who bought a lootbox has problems. I also donā€™t think that everyone who buys a skin or battlepass has a problem. You are no less of a person for buying a lootbox, SmaruIKusia.

800 million a year? I find that really hard to believe. :smiley:

See my post above, its well under half that for real income before EPS is paid out.

2 Likes