I paid $40 for Overwatch in 2016

The entire point of this thread is asking why Blizzard made the decisions they made. Re-read the original post. That answer is money. You’re going on tangents to try and explain why Blizzard should do things differently. That’s wonderful. It doesn’t change the fact they’re doing what they’re doing to try and maximize profit.

You or I complaining won’t change that, so why waste the effort complaining about it?

As midway phrased it, Mental Gymnastics

Thats 10 percent. No game made more than ten percent of blizzards revenue thats not cod and two other games i forgot.

Its an estimate not a fact.

Ow made less than ten percent of their revenue and that includes with ow league. Without ow league they made almost nothing.

Which is not the game making money its the esport.

My “complaints” weren’t the posts in this thread who were regularly getting people to respond about how ludicrously a bad take they were, last time I checked.

But to turn that back to you, if you think the game is in a good state and all gamers are cheap for wanting these changes, why aren’t you playing the game now instead? Clearly the forums don’t share this same point of view you have, so why post here at all?

Shouldn’t you be arguing with a man whose username has too many special characters?

2 Likes

You just said it made no money and now you’re moving the goalposts after being proven wrong. You shills are a sad bunch.

Its like you didnt read what i said. Sad. Here.

Cosmic elf explains it so even you can understand.

You can’t explain anything yourself so you post links to another shills post. So sad.

You didnt understand so i made it easy for you.

Ow in 2021 made less than 10 percent of blizzards revenue. Thats less than 880 million. Not sure how you arent getting this. Thats what truly is sad.

You seem to have forgotten what you said so let me remind you:

Did that make it easy enough for you to remember? You said the game was losing money when it was actually profitable every single year.

This is getting sad man.

1 Like

Yes less than ten percent. Which is less than 880 million of their revenue. Not their profit.

No follow along. Since you dont get it.

No game made over ten percent of blizzards revenue that wasnt cod.

880 million is ten percent of their revenue. The number is actually less. 880 million would be ten percent which no game made. Besides cod. It could easily be 5 percent. We wlll use ten.

Now remove taxes. 600 million.

Now pay everyone in the esport. The devs. The artists. The qc. The managers. All other positions who work on ow.

Whats left is the profit. Which is going to be a net negative.

You really have no clue about video game earnings. GTA Online barely brings in more a year than Overwatch 1 was and it’s a cash cow for Take-Two.

https ://www.thegamer.com/gta-5-rockstar-2-5-million-per-day/

The reason CoD makes so much more money than every other game is because they release a new $70 boxed copy every year. Your issue is you are comparing Overwatch revenue to an annual release and not comparing it to other ongoing games. You should leave the profit talk to your idol CosmicElf because you really suck at trying to break things down too.

I think with the loot boxes, even though a lot of people were earning free skins or got lucky and pulled skins with few loot boxes, there were plenty of people still purchasing and spending an average amount to gamble and gain items. Despite that, I think they maybe found that by the time they started to work on the sequel project or whatever other endeavors, that there was not enough consistency with their profits and it was always in decline over time. They needed that rejuvenation, or create a renewed interest into the game that could bring another injection of a large amount of cash to continue to work on or expand on their franchise (and of course make more money).

Also, I think another part of it is that other companies are making more money more effectively and efficiently, while maintaining more frequent player engagement with their product. Keeping the population higher and on the minds of the consumer or populous at large (great for ads and branding). So, I guess they figure they should keep up with that or get stuck in the trap of making constant sequels (cod style); or attempt to continue their previous live service model without a competitive monetization system (or rather a monetization system that made sure they maximized and maintained their slice of the market pie).

It’s a “ludicrously bad take” when people act baffled by the fact that a massive pubically traded company makes changes to maximize profit on a game that wasn’t really making a lot of money. The fact that still confuses people is crazy to me.

Why am I here? I still play OW. Not as much as I used to, but it’s still a fun game. I think the game is different than it was six months ago. I’ll keep playing it casually for a long time, I won’t play it competitively like I used to. OW is moving to more of a casual game (they’re betting on the fact there’s more money in that). That means they’ll drive out some of the long time OW1 players, but attract a new audience.

Yep you will never get it. Revenue is not profit. Education is important kids. Have a good one enjoy being wrong.

You are a shining example of that, bucko. :wink:

You have no logic and cant follow basic math.

I explained it to where a middle schooler could get it and still the point went over your head.

Ow didnt have 880 million in revenue. Its an estimate on the fact ow didnt earn even ten percent of blizzards revenue. Its not hard.

Kid, you don’t even know basic math. You come across as uneducated and borderline illiterate. That’s why you keep CosmicElfs posts on standby because you are mentally incapable of making your own point. Also what happened to this?

Did my questioning of Wisconsins poor education system strike a nerve?

Anyways, have a good one. :wink:

2 Likes

You too enjoy being slow and incapable of intelligence. Your parents must be pathetically proud.

You can never just take something away from your playerbase and expect it to go well. But at the end of the day, the old men sitting in a board room with the lead dev explaining that if they can’t afford that third new shiny new car by the end of the year, they’ll have to fire everyone.

It’s like giving a child a new toy for some time, then one day just yanking it out of their hands and throwing it away. A guaranteed way to make your loudest supporters turn against you. It doesn’t even matter what you replace it with, because it will never replace what you took away.

It’s not to say that maximizing profit isn’t allowed, but good luck explaining to a playerbase about how pushing more sales of things that were once free* will go over well.

Yeah, definitely. It’s pretty easy to see that they really want to push that casual angle now. It does have a conflict with how hard Blizzard will push their IPs to be e-sports ready in the past, but hey, at least it’s not HOTS.

Blizzard actually cares about OW, or as much as my stockholm syndrome will tell me they do.

1 Like

I stopped, played black ops 1 zombies online, got till round 28, got back here and what was your question?