So my power flickers.. and

Do you have any way of communicating that isn’t lashing out at others? Your level of anger and frustration seems WAY out of whack considering the topic of conversation.

It’s a game man. You don’t have to be right about everything. There’s no pride here. You’re fine.

1 Like

You know someone did this crap on the Destiny 2 forums and was permanently banned for harassment. And the moderators for those forums are a lot more lax.

No, reading a book doesn’t make me a software engineer but working as a software engineer for the past 22 years does.

I haven’t used C++ in over a decade though, most modern application development in the fields I work in uses C#.

Yes, I have.

Nope, there is literally no way to remotely tell the source of a disconnect - and in 20 years I’ve never seen a Valve message about a player ripping their modem out of the wall. :rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s much for me to worry about in that regard in this thread.

You, however…well…probably don’t see the irony.

I’m genuinely sorry you live your life this way. No sarcasm, no trolling. I sympathize.

1 Like

Lmfao you’ve always had an ego dude, if you got rid of it and improved you’d be out of gold

It doesn’t matter whether it was intentional, the impact on your team is still the same.

2 Likes

Why should they be the ones to go prove your point? Even i can admit to be wrong and i posted the link to what bliz posted about it. There is no other facts that could find and im not going to go out of my way yo prove YOUR point. Why dont u do it and show us proof? As stated to u already insults will get u no were in a disuction/debate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

confirming this as an isp network engineer for the last 10+ years

EDIT: That is, if it’s a timeout ie. loss of power, cable being pulled, router/switch crash. The remote end can only know so much as you tell it.

2 Likes

Did you know the more you say something the less likely it is you mean it

Cause I only noticed you started this when you had no other points or couldn’t retort anything but still want the last word.

He’s saying the games can’t tell if you leave by hitting escape and clicking leave game or the modem drops connection, he’s trying to make me an idiot but the first comment I made on that distinctly implied the person used the normal means to leave.

Because I typed that at work and don’t get him til later, would also take me a bit longer since I haven’t started comp in a while trying to keep up with other games.

then you’re arguing different points against each other. the software also has to cleanly close the connection, not just terminate runtime either otherwise it’ll still look like a timeout. it probably does, but the point still stands.

My point was that it’s a possible thing (he claims otherwise), Overwatch 2 is getting a total system overhaul and Overwatch gets it as well when it comes out, they can totally (they won’t though) put something like that in place and give players the benefit of the doubt and not be punished for it. Even with the current punishments it only really hurts players that don’t have multiple accounts and with how cheap this game is on sale (not to mention what goes on with the console versions) most people that are a deliberate hindrance already have 3 or 4 other accounts to continue doing this.

It’s not a possible thing if people are pulling cables out or suddenly powering off devices. That’s the point, because that’s how people will do it to mask a deliberate leave.

2 Likes

Yep, still not possible. If you don’t want to be penalized for leaving, don’t leave. If your power or internet is unreliable either fix it, get it fixed, don’t play competitive, or accept your penalty.

1 Like

So punishment should have a 1:1000 ratio of actually punishing the deserving people?

it was a stupid implementation and as long as another disconnect doesn’t happen, there shouldn’t be a ban for returning to a match.

So what’s your white knight excuse when blizzard servers drop you?

I have only ever had 2 times where I lost all internet and about 8-9 times where I just lose connection to blizzard servers and only those servers as everything else is working fine.

The only time that ever happened, it turned out to be a problem on my end. I fixed the problem, and I didn’t whine about the penalty. Because I’m a grown-up and I recognize that if there was no penalty it would be abused nonstop.

Yeah, that’s what it looked like to me too - “Server connection lost” and whatnot. It’s probably a you problem, maybe hire someone to check your connection.

“claims the software engineer that should know better”

I don’t know what your problem is. Are you using wireless? If not, how old is your Cat5? Who’s your ISP? DSL/Cable? LinkSys anything?

Whatever, figure it out yourself. Why would anyone want to help you when all you do is lash out angrily and hurl insults?

1 Like