So much awful awful tanking

How do you even play on console!! I give you credit brother tanker!

3 Likes

I meanā€¦ youtube has videos on how to play characters. Just watch those and streamers.
The thing is, this game comes down to communication and counter picks.
There are good tanks, bad tanks, good dps and support as well as bad ones.
Tanks need to push, healers need to heal and dps need to do some damage. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Nothing like a tank standing at a choke waiting for a pick. I had multiple tanks say this today. Where I literally had to say press forward. This is almost diamond. Itā€™s a joke.

3 Likes

you should use this amazing innovative social media technology that everyone is usingā€¦its called YOUTUBE. here you can find all kinds of tips, tricks, diys, vlogs, compilations. i hear there are over 1000 videos on tanking in overwatch alone. le gasp.

1 Like

Itā€™s the shortest queue in the game, so no surprises there.

I think they need more placement matches for each role. for the very first season of placements.

10 games for each role. If it were up to me, it would be 20. But five isnā€™t enough.

3 Likes

When you fail as dps or support you generally know why.

With tanking it is not as clear.

A tutorial for each tank would do wonders for gameplay experience.

2 Likes

Yeah, this.

I can watch as many videos as I like and know all the best set ups, etc.

But when your team want to rush ahead and get picked in first two seconds trying to solo camp enemy spawn. Feelsbadman.

And 222 is crap right now.

Had a game on Blizzard World where I was playing Sigma again.

Ended up with silvers all round and 25k blocked as we lost 3-1. Our Hog had the golds. He was also silver heals on a team with Moira and Mercy on it.

Three of our team were all under level 50. And they were placed gold, but most definitely not gold players.

One of them was a crazy dps Moira going in 1v6 repeatedlyā€¦

Initial placements always busted. Influx of new players making things worse.

1 Like

Iā€™m ranked way lower than you but in my experience, like 90% of my games have a main tank and off tank combo. The only true bad comp Iā€™ve seen in recent memory was a road hog, hammond, bastion. Of course they lost but that was 1 game out of many Iā€™ve played so far.

Thatā€™s because tanks is the hardest role to play.

lol

I was one win from Diamond at one point and I never noticed much difference even between high Plat and any level in Gold. Bad players everywhere.

Tanks stomp in silver. Itā€™s my highest sr.

mad agreed dude but the ranks are exponential the difference between high diamond and low diamond is one of the biggest disparities in the game. mostly due to decayed players but ya mid diamond you start getting masters games occasionally and they are actually good players no matter how you cut the pie.

Idk as a tank player its pretty clear to me. I can see when our tanks have bad positioning, arenā€™t using their kit the right way, using their ults the right way, playing too passive, etc. With DPS the only way people really know is by looking at the kill feed.

Interestingā€¦ bad players everywhere between gold-plat but youā€™re in low gold yourself? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I would upgrade this idea for an actual in-game tutorial on what Competitive Mode truly is.

Thatā€™s funny. Like ā€œhave you been there?ā€ funny.

1 Like

yeah that is what i used, but 90% of the players or more dont do this.
And this lack of basic knowledge is what creates so much frustration
OW is a hard tactical game, not some brainless shooter.
So it needs a good tutorial, else we get people blaming random people for their losses. Even if they start with a bad comp and it was all of their fault.
You get lots of people who dont know what creating space means.
Tanks that think it is the dps role to create space for them
Dps thinking they are the hard carry, tanks are the dummies standing on point and healers are the heal bots keeping them alive.
etcā€¦

We have a game were most of the players playing it without knowing the basics.
Its like seeing lots of small children playing sports but no one knowing the rules.
Running around in circles with the ball without ever scoring. (dpsers only playing for elims) Everyone running after the ball without playing positions (not using of roles or knowing what each task is) etcā€¦
If you tell those kids to only stay on this part of the field and only go for the ball if it gets in that part, they will get very unhappy (like forcing 2-2-2 on people who dont know the basics)

So what overwatch needs before anything else (ages ago) is a good mandatory tutorial. Remove QP and change it to a mode where teamwork is enforced with lots of hint text explaining people what to do, if they do something bad.

1 Like

I think they should probably do away with / rethink the ā€˜encouragementā€™ loot box. That actively encourages players who donā€™t care about that roleā€™s SR to throw 1 game per day. It really doesnā€™t matter what their SR is or should be, because thereā€™s no real incentive there but to lose as quickly as possible for free loot. Maybe make it on win only, so you have to try?

Otherwise, I am vastly preferring the role lock games. Yeah, I have had some games where I noticed obviously bad tanking (clearly people picking up the characters for the first time due to the enticements) but overall itā€™s a huge improvment. Having some way to perhaps agree to swap roles in game could be a nice future to bring back some emergency swaps, but overall I vastly prefer this way of playing.

1 Like

Cute cats (zarya player) made a great one that brought me from silver to platinum. Taught me a lot about how tanking is supposed to function.

Gold players are still much better than silver. Not high silver though, but gold is when people develop awareness. Not gamesense though, just awareness.

1 Like

Yeah didnā€™t you hear? This is a team game and the actions of 5 other people on your team actually contribute to whether you win or not, crazy stuff.