So, in a recent article, Jeff himself has said that he wants to see Overwatch trend slightly more in the FPS direction, rather than the MOBA direction"

Shield didn’t create that problem, for crying out loud. It was how maps were designed, so stop blaming shield for all troubles.

I would rather not have TF2-like gameplay here, as teams are much smaller and you can’t sacrifice 10+ players to achieve progress. Memories of lots of casualties in TF2, when trying to assault fortified position, are still fresh.

If you want accept the situation ok.

But low ttk is a good thing for a competitive game, shield are a problem for a competitive game.

Tf2 is a good example of have “heroes” and competitive gameplay, Blizzard can only learn from a game like this and seems they finally understand it.

So every healer I play with when I go Brig (which is a lot) is trash? Okay then.
Ana sleep is nothing like flashbang, FB is much easier to hit. Ana’s DPS and healing + utility is why she is top dog and you think Mercy competes with that?
It’s so easy to get gold elim on Moira because you just tag people with your orb, doesn’t mean you do significant damage/kill people.

TF2 simply has drastically different gameplay in casual and competitive settings. In casual it’s trench warfare to the limit, as any direct push encounters explosive spam + sentry guns and fails. Especially if it’s map like 2fort - 3-4 sentry guns in every flag room is common sight.

Maybe when you play with bad players.

The fact is a gameplay like tf2 work good without shields.

And Blizzard is more probably go for a middleway similar to paladins(shield will stay but not so much important like in overwatch)

Overwatch can do similar oriented changes and Blizzard want this changes.

The actual playerbase must only choice if they want make this game survive with this changes or slowly make the game die.

Instead of shields you have buildings, which are immune to critical hits.

This is the problem of overwatch.

The shields are too much powerful and easy to use, people simple not use building and corners, relay totally on shields

Surely a bad thing for a game want to be competitive.

This is the thing Blizzard want try to fix.

This is only then a problem when you have no shield but the enemies do have 1 or even 2.

If both teams have one or none, its absolutely fine.

They canmot shoot you on the point without beeing a target themselves.

If one team now slams a big barrier in front of the point, i wouldn’t want to be there either.

Just thinking if theres no barrier, you can’t hit unless you are junkrat, without beeing shootable yourself.

Pretty glad played tracer as my main.
Playing without a barrier vs 2 barriers tells you a lot. Beeing 1v6 teaches a ton. To utilize everything.

They are near point before me, so they have advantage of position. As I have to expose myself to damage, while they would chill behind shields or natural cover and firing at me.

Being 1v6 only teaches me to be stealthy and pick stragglers. Since my TF2 classes were Engineer, Medic and Spy.

This is such an insanely derivative view of FPS games it’s no wonder all of you are freaking out.

You guys have zero freaking clue what Overwatch is, all you heard is FPS and you’re assuming it’s going in the direction of Counter Strike or Rainbow Six. Overwatch has a term called Hero Shooter, but it’s really just a Class Based FPS, it’s just TF2. Plain and simple.

Do yourselves a favor and look into Doom Eternal, Blood, Dusk, Team Fortress 2, Deus Ex (the original one, not the new one), Bioshock/System Shock, and then come back here.

Or simply that people can shoot through shields and damage you…like, that alone is a huge balance problem. When a Widow can shoot through a barrier and one shot you…how is that remotely going to be balanced?

Breaking News. Lead designer of a first person shooter wants it to be a first person shooter…

As long as I can continue playing stealth game instead, I am fine with it.

You seems to not understand.

The hybrid idea of fps/moba of overwatch isn’t working anymore, the game is in declining.

Shield/main tank are a big part of this problem for various reason.

Blizzard know of this problem and started testing changing main tanks, lowering TTK(tanks and in general) , reduce the defence of tanks with good result

They want to give more occasion for good player to win 1v2 or even 1vs3.

Their idea is to reduce too the presence of barriers and cc, in general they want to reduce part of the “moba” gameplay in favor of fps gameplay.

This is the actual situation.

Actual playerbase have a choice, try to block this changes and let the game continue to slowly dying till blizzard stop the support or accept/leave the game and let the game have an occasion of relaunch.

It’s a problem because they didn’t balance them properly.

They got it right with Rein, yet can not seem to translate those concepts to the other shield Tanks. As much as Winston frustrates me, he is actually better designed than Orisa and Sigma combined. Because you have to be smart with his kit to get value out of it. You don’t get a backup plan, you have to commit to your choices. Why? Because that’s REASONABLE, it’s something both YOU need to be in control of, but the enemy can just as well control it too. You need to be smart when you commit to your choices, but the enemy can just as easily punish you for making the wrong choice. Compare that to Sigma, when your Barrier breaks just use absorb, when the enemy goes past the barrier, use rock. There’s little to no need to commit to decisions you make, you always have a do over button, it reminds me A LOT of the Dead Ringer.

TF2 had these exact same principles of design and even Doom Eternal does. The idea is simply that your kit has rules, and you have to follow those rules to get value out of them. So many heroes can bend their own rules and be useful, or get away with so much it’s not remotely skillful.

And that’s another mistake, lowering the TTK to be faster won’t help the game get better. It’s just going to make all of the mechanics they have irrelevant. A game with slower TTK is not bad, and imo is actually better than most other games because you can’t just be first to shoot, you have to use everything at your disposal to win fights. Movement, Aim, any utilities or abilities you have that can turn the tide of a match, etc.

That is not at all what I got out of that statement, let’s re read this shall we?

“my personal feeling is that i would like to see less barriers and cc and see the game trend slightly more in the fps direction than the moba direction”

That doesn’t mean all of the current CC and Barriers are gone, if anything, he means they probably won’t add more. And for good reason, Winston, Rein, and Orisa covered all of the possible ground you could with Shields. What they really needed to do was rework Winston and Orisa to have shields be resource based, and not cooldown based. By adding Sigma they created a problem that is near impossible to fix without removing Sigma’s Barrier or reworking it entirely.

CC is…well, basically Sleep is ok because it’s not exactly easy to land consistently, whereas Flashbang is super easy to land and was ultimately going to get nerfed more and more overtime.

To me, it seems like they want to make the game feel harder, and demand more skill and strategy from you as a player. Rather than rely on damage negation, blocking, or abilities that immobilize others to win. In otherwords to me, TF2 but with more classes and no unlocks. Which sounds damn good to me, those classes were so well thought out, and heroes like Ana, Rein, Ashe, they all feel like their kits were meticulously thought out. If going the FPS direction means the rest of the heroes follow those examples, I’m all for it.

Ok I understand your type, you can’t accept this type of gameplay not work anymore for the actual players blizzard want to attract to the game.

Maybe is the first time for you to see a gameplay type to reach is end but I can only suggest you to learn to accept it.

Stay in the past will only make the thing more hard trust me, when you see your preferred gameplay die three time is hard better if you accept it.

Or maybe I see it as just another TF2, and too many elements that are designed for an audience who just doesn’t want to play a video game.

Whatever audience they were trying to attract is clearly leaving or gone, maybe it’s time they stop putting their chips into it.

Even if they really go to a gameplay full tf2(I doubt I think will be more similar to paladins) is really a bad thing for the game?

Tf2 have an healthy playerbase after years, you prefer to see the game die instead try change?

It’s really not, I can tell based on your response you haven’t even played it.

So, let’s make this simple, look up videos from a guy named LazyPurple, about how it feels to play certain classes.

TF2 isn’t the same game due to neglect, Overwatch devs may be slow but they clearly don’t want to neglect the game. But even despite that, TF2 as you have said has had a healthy playerbase for years, and it would not have gotten there had the mechanics been so simplified and dull. A lot of the mechanics in Overwatch ARE, hence why they wanna change direction. Players are getting better, and the more they improve the more these mechanics HINDER the game’s experience rather than enhance it. You can even tell with how certain heroes are designed that they want heroes that aren’t easy to pick up and play, they want each hero to have depth and a clear skill ceiling and journey to take to get the full value out of them.

Moba like elements do not work in a First Person space, not without redesigning them to work within said space, in a way that makes sense. Hence why I say Rein is well designed, because how he works and functions makes sense in a FPS.

Like I said before I understand your type, you can’t accept the situation.

I suggest you to not presume someone not played a game specially for someone clearly said have played fps multiplayer even more old of tf2.

I repeat to you accept a gameplay can die, for old player like me is more simple specially when you see a gameplay type die first for “natural cause”, second time for bad try to adapt to heroes type gameplay, third when battle Royale killed him

At least overwatch thanks to ow2 and the right changes have a good occasion of relaunching.

If you go to specifics, TF2 is a mix of FPS(most classes), tower defense(Engineer), stealth action(Spy) and Moba(Medic). Shame that Overwatch couldn’t afford to have that many flavors mixed.