So I guess I'm barred from playing OW 2

A mobile number, yes… I have a mobile number, I readily assumed that owning a phone number was all that was necessary for play, because… That is what it states.

It didn’t say “A mobile number that is X service provider or I guess… screw you?”

20 Likes

There’s a link in the bullet point that I’m unable to link but it takes you to the SMS verification page and explains that VOIP and pre-paid phones may not work for SMS verification. I think it’s one of the hyperlinks underneath the bar where you input your number.

Either way, you’re right in the sense that they should’ve made it more clearer. Most people didn’t even know about SMS verification until recently because they only put the notice for the requirement on the game client’s “News” Box.

^^^^

Most people have got the mobile phone number. That’s not the problem. They just don’t have one that Blizzard deems good enough…for some reason

15 Likes

Yea, we’ve been blindsided.

Either something changes in the next two days, or… they lose over 2/3 of the playerbase overnight.

Kids don’t all have their own post-paid numbers. Most players don’t.

11 Likes

I’ve had to use my sisters because mine doesn’t work :man_shrugging: I don’t want to use my sisters - we’re both on contracts, just with different providers. So I’m lucky in that way, cause I guess I’ll still be able to play…hopefully. But there’s plenty of people who aren’t going to be able to do that, and now they can’t play. It’s so dumb.

9 Likes

It’s a humorous coincidence that the company that makes a game called DIABLO is also the first company ever to implement the mark of the beast.

I think that a phone should only be needed when first creating an account, not every time you launch game.

Lucky you. You’re not missing anything.

Seriously, imagine this happening with any other stated requirement and you see how stupid this sounds:

“Overwatch 2™ will require at least 50GB of hard drive space”
Oh by the way it has to be an SSD drive or else it doesn’t work. No refunds bye!

8 Likes

Allegedly I have a connection to a post-paid plan too…

Tried that, and it still gave the same error.

4 Likes

You are not alone in when it comes to this I can tell you that much. I’m seriously hoping something gets done about this someway, somehow.

I’m sorry that you won’t be able to play. It really does suck honestly. I myself and my sibling will not be able to as well and it’s really bittersweet. So many people have been closed out of playing this game that we waited years for.

8 Likes

Try again, I know people who were rejected at first but it worked after.

Yeah, it’s incredibly inconsistent which doesn’t help matters. I think if the number was used on a pre-paid plan before, even though it’s now linked to a post-paid plan, it won’t work? Or some such :poop: :joy:

7 Likes

Well it’s possible that Cricket as a whole is not supported, in which case I’m screwed no matter if I have pre-paid or post-paid.

10 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve heard that Cricket as a whole doesn’t seem to be supported. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone using it that has been successful in using their number. I’m not in the US so I don’t know for myself, just what I’ve read online.

9 Likes

They also should have specified which phone numbers because this is misleading considering only post paids work (and not even all of them do). Post paid only should have been on there with all of the exceptions well.

8 Likes

Cricket and Metro PCS are two huge companies here not supported and all because they are pre paid. Never knew until this fiasco started.

That alone shows how many people have pre paid phones if two companies here that are considered huge are pre paid only.

7 Likes

I allegedly have a post-paid cricket setup? (I’m not 100% sure since I’m not the one who manages this.)

But even that isn’t working.

8 Likes

Iirc, if you were once in a pre paid situation and then switched to post paid later, that post number will not work because of the previous situation. Perhaps thats why? Or the phone doesn’t support SMS?

The hoops involving these numbers are insane and ridiculous because there are a ton of exclusions and exceptions in order to just get one number in.

3 Likes

Well that is likely my situation, so… is there a workaround?

2 Likes