Skill > Low-Skill

I’ve seen a lot of posts on this issue, and I feel like I should pitch my opinion.

If you play a skillful hero, you should be better than the average player who plays a low-skill hero at your rank right?

Before we begin, I’d like to clarify what I mean by skill.

Heros not as mechanically demanding are undoubtedly easier than heros that are. Why? I’m not saying they take no skill, I’m saying every single hero in the game requires game sense, but some heros also need to juggle aiming with their kit.

Without being able to aim, they would have very little effectiveness and vice versa. Gamesense dependent heros don’t need to worry about that.

Now let’s jump straight in shall we?

I see people saying tha Low skill heros should not be dominated by high skill heros, but this is a backwards way of thinking. People who don’t want to invest and practice should not have the same footing as someone who has spent hours training.

“But the game should be accessible to everyone”

It is, you just won’t be as effective as someone else who has honed their skills.

Feel free to flame me :slight_smile:

So, this has quickly transformed from me being crucified to a free for all against each other

*whistles

40 Likes

Tanks including orisa take more skill than any dps or support hero, tanks equal high skill dps heroes in skill just from game sense requirements alone, let alone positioning/teamwork/etc

They also take a lot more tolerance to play

14 Likes

I honestly just prefer a balanced game regardless of how “difficult” it is to play any given hero. The notion is subjective regardless. I find Mercy and Reinhardt to be among the hardest characters in the game. Most other people go around asserting that they are the easiest. Genji is easy once you put the effort in and the reward is disproportionately high which is why I am glad he is countered by two heroes that virtually anyone can pick up and play.

20 Likes

i dont think you quite understand something, id someone is at the same skill level that the harder hero should be better, but you fail to realize they are just as good as you even if using an easier hero… and the only way what you want to happen is for the easier heroes to be pretty much useless which is a terrible idea

2 Likes

Heroes that require aim already have the higher potential.

While Brig can do a burst of 150 DPS, after that she has a DPS cap of 35 per second.

Every hero who can land headshots can outdo that in a fraction of the time.

Hell even Lucio can do a burst 215 in one second if you can land headshots.

If a hero without aim is outperforming you on your hero with aim then that means the person on said hero is more skilled than you are.

28 Likes

It depends on what they want from Overwatch.

I agree with you, because I want a competitive game. Having a low skill hero be as valuable or (god forbid) more valuable than a high skill hero is inherently uncompetitive.

People that want casual play and universal access will prefer low skill heroes being more viable than high skill heroes.

7 Likes

And this is where i disagree,

if you dont have to aim, that means you dont have the crutch of “out aiming” the enemy as well, also it means your dps is “stuck” in a very predictable pattern the enemy can always predict, while the guys who aim can Commonly increase their dps by headshotting,

While the “non aim” ones, cant do this… and need to fair out in more inteligent engagments without the crutch of “Clicking on their heads”

this is why i think all heroes are equal in skill

5 Likes

The issue here is the Heros which have a low skill-ceiling requirement but can easily counter high-skill requirement Heros at the same rank.

The current poster child for this is of course Brig. Heros like Tracer or Genji require large time investment and effort by most players in order to be competent with said Hero(s) at what ever their current level of play is.

However, with Brigitte, I can walk into the practice range, spend 15min practicing the Bash+Melee+Whip combo and boom, I’m now able to insta-counter some of the most high skill requirement Heros in the game with little to no practice.

She’s the epitome of low-skill ceiling to high-payoff.

Heros like this, should become less effective the higher in rank you climb. Encouraging said player to improve their skills by mastering higher skill-requirement Heros in order to move up in rank.

4 Likes

Does it matter though? Why do people have to obsess over skill? Why can’t you just play the game?

7 Likes

Well pro Mercy players say she is the most complex hero to play at a high level, and even Seagull stated that she’s super difficult to play properly.

So Iunno. Seems like mechanical demands aren’t everything.

:woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

There’s more than one type is skill. I doubt anyone is arguing against how Rein takes more gamesense than Widow, but as far as mechanical ability the roles are completely reversed. Ana is harder than just about any tank, but every tank is harder than Brig. The role of the hero has nothing to do with the skill required.

1 Like

Because people want to use it as an excuse why they lost vs a Moira with their “High skill hero”

4 Likes

So who is better?
A pro reaper or mediocre widow then?

i know theres more than one type of skill.

i know mechanical skill in very important and a high one, but it is less important than game sense teamwork and positioning, pro players make fun of the ‘just click her head’ meme because they know full well aim is not the most important of the skills to have.

2 Likes

a pro reaper definetly!

widow is too reliant on mechanical skill for a mediocre player to be able to get use out of her

Yes, but said Tracer or Genji has to play in a situation that benefits Brig in order to die to said combo. It then becomes a game of, “Who can outplay who?” since Brig requires connecting Shield bash for the combo to work. Miss and it fails.

Tracer can easily outmanuever Brig by staying out of the range but not so far that she suffers from damage falloff.

It’s very similar to how Tracer plays around Roadhogs range so they don’t get one-shot like so:

http s://clips.twitch.tv/TangentialCogentCardLeeroyJenkins

8 Likes

Any discussion about “mechanical skill” has to look at the overall picture to be taken seriously.

Consider that for heroes with a short effective range, body hits are nearly a given, and aiming essentially only separates body shots from headshots.

It’s also significantly easier to hit a large and or slow target vs a small and or quick target. Being hard to hit isn’t skill, but does strongly impact many matchups.

1 Like

Yes Tracer and Genji require a great amount of skill to play BUT people often overlook the OP perk of having the tiniest models in game+the best mobility. Their very designs is low skill when it comes to avoiding damage as their kit is very forgiving .
You can’t counter a hero designed to be hard to hit who can disengage easily without making its counter char

A. Having a forgiving method of dishing out damage
B. Having them have a method to prevent them from disengaging (bash)

7 Likes

You are showing a clip of GM-level gameplay. This cannot be expected at lower ranks. Tracer/Genji/Brig are not only available at that GM.

My example applies to all ranks. For instance, Gold is not that big of an accomplishment to most players. But for someone who’s decided to focus on Tracer and/or Genji, getting to Gold might be an accomplishment with those very high skill requirement Heros.

Now in walks the Brig main who’s climbing rank with Bash+Melee+Whip…

well no heroes in this game are really impossibly difficult to begin with. This game is meant to be easy and it is

1 Like