Sincere question for those who want to prove that OW is "dead"

game is dying because Dive isnt the meta…Im out…

So? That’s true of all cross platform games, 10 million more accounts is still a lot.

The queue times for the most populous tier of players, plat and gold, are going to be the best indicator of activity. And those queues are still fast. That could only be the case if they still had new people replacing the old.

3 Likes

There is no accurate measure for queue times, we don’t know how many people are queueing, the server could be slow, the queue time can vary wildly between people, queue times are just anecdotal evidence. The most concrete evidence that exists is Twitch viewer numbers.

I’m not one of those people, but I do see a shift in Overwatch’s community that will hopefully be fixed by the new social features. It’s become more toxic than ever before, more than any other game, and it’s getting progressively worse. People are getting banned and silenced for no reason; the system is getting abused. Non-toxic people are getting punished, and it’s causing the toxic people to overpopulate and gain power. It’s just not a good place right now.

Even if it does still have the numbers, if over half of those people are bad apples, you’ll have rotten applesauce, not tasty cinnamon strawberry applesauce (it’s dead on the inside; a zombie; a living cadaver; undead; basically dead).

I hope so too. I’m used to people calling me rude names (sad I know) but others throwing games I’m not used to.

1 Like

People who say Overwatch is dead are just trying to make an overdramatic ultimatum to Blizzard that if their pet peeves aren’t remedied then the consequences will be dire. The game is 2 years old and still has healthy queue times, is still popular and regularly updated, so it’s far from dead. IMHO the complainers are just tempests in teacups.

3 Likes

Twitch viewer numbers are not numbers of people playing.

Queue times being long would generate a lot of complaints and the developers would not be seeking to further fragment the playerbase with a lfg system if they thought there wasn’t enough people to sustain it.

You can always tell a dying game because queue times are universally complained about in every single one of them. And developers start having to alter systems to shorten them.

None of that is the case with Overwatch. And the devs are still bragging about their account numbers instead of keeping quiet about them. Which means they still have something to brag about.

A lot of people still play Overwatch. It’s not dying.

6 Likes

I never said it was. It is, however, a good measurement of interest in the game.

I do see people here complain about long queue times actually.

Wow… that is absolutely ridiculous to say. Having to brag about a dubious number meant for marketing purposes and not actual player numbers?

Fun fact, you don’t know that. I don’t know that. Only people who know that are Blizzard and they don’t release player numbers. Which is why me and many others use Twitch viewer numbers as a measure of interest in the game. We can’t say “Oh 500k people are still playing OW this moment due to Twitch numbers”, but we can say that “people seem to be losing interesting in Overwatch”. If they use that to say the game is dying, that’s their definition of dying.

1 Like

if every salty player leaves I might get out of bronze lol win/win

1 Like

It does give an idea of popularity of the game and a downward trend on twitch can (and does, in this case) certainly indicate problems with the game.

My queue times have definitely gotten longer over the last year.

The game is 100% on the decline. My friends list always had tons of people playing a year ago, this year, I rarely see anyone log on.

Devs still have time to right this ship, but it’s definitely losing players.

1 Like

I’m not really trying to prove anything, but as someone that used to watch a lot of OW streams I find the game in it’s current state unwatchable and I want Blizzard to fix it. It’s boring to watch, boring to play, and they need to address it before it’s too late.

This. A lot of times when I see someone say the game is dying, it’s from a place of worry. They don’t want the game to die.

Haha! You, I like you.

1 Like

Another potentially good indicator of game health is going by game popularity/play % in PC Bangs in Korea.

Oh, do you have a link? I’d be interested in seeing those numbers.

http://www.gametrics.com/rank/Rank02.aspx

Currently:

1. PUBG with 31.79%
  2. LoL with 27.51%
  3. OW with 7.58%

I can’t go back in time to see old statistics on this site, sadly - You need to pay for account. Also I don’t speak Korean so it’s kind of hard to navigate. You can find articles though talking about PubG passing OW in popularity around August of last year. here’s one article:

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds surpasses Overwatch in South Korea’s PC bangs | PCGamesN

Wow, LoL passing OW by that much huh? “Maplestory at 1.98%” Eyyyyyy I played that when I was a kid! But seriously that’s not looking good.

There aren’t a lot of threads here about queue times, actually.

The definition of dying is that a game will soon be dead. A dead can only die by being shuttered. If you think this game is gonna get shuttered soon, idk what to tell ya except to stop acting like third place on Twitch is horrible.

2 Likes

Only while OWL is active. If no OWL then where does OW sit? And where does it sit when xQc is not streaming?

There aren’t but people have been saying that the queue times have been getting longer. Third place is only when OWL is going on, when it’s not I’ve seen Destiny 2 surpass Overwatch (I’m actually playing Destiny 2 right now).

Wrong. I play that game regularly on multiplayer. Playing it since 2004 (sp), 2008 (mp). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Though currently on a break from gaming.