Sincere question for those who want to prove that OW is "dead"

…Why is this important to you to establish? How does it help you, or the devs, or the player base?

The game doesn’t need to be dead for you to not enjoy it anymore. It doesn’t need to be dead for you to move on and play new things. It doesn’t need to be dead for you to feel like it is flawed, and you can make suggestions about it even if the life force of the game is not hanging in the balance.

Be free! Enjoy what you enjoy! Move on from what you want to move on from! And if you’re done with the game, there’s no need to carry in your heart the burden of whether or not it continues to survive and thrive. ^^

25 Likes

Oh, there’s no denying that the game’s active population has plummeted, and interest in it is sinking. Everything from personal anecdotes to twitch viewship numbers to plain old common sense shows this to plainly be the case.

But the only response to that from from the game-isn’t-dying-people amounts 'so what?.

So, flip that question around. How does it help anyone to deny reality? To tell people to ignore the ship sinking? What’s their agenda in getting people to let their guard down?

7 Likes

If the ship is sinking, why does my guard need to be up? That means that the queue times will get longer, the game will become less and less fun to play, and when I stop having fun eventually I’ll stop playing it.

In the meantime, I can still queue into games. I am still having fun. Knowing that the game has an expiration date (as it almost certainly does, because practically all games do) doesn’t affect whether or not I continue to play it for now. It’s not like I gain anything by jumping off of the sinking ship, because it’s not gonna kill me if it goes down.

7 Likes

I think of “dead” as in emotionally dead. No one is positive in the community anymore. There is only anger and confusion in this community now. Therefore I believe this community has died along with many of my childhood games and franchises of long ago.

9 Likes

Easy, because it “proves” whatever they (Generally the person who states the game is dying) don’t like is the reason the game is dying, therefore the developers should fix something they don’t like to keep the game from dying. Even though the game really isn’t dying in the actual sense.

It’s common practice to use massive hyperbole to try to get a point across around here.

8 Likes

i played Unreal Tournament 2004 today…it’s a game that nobody touched in 14 years, it’s perfect.
would i like Epic games to come and say, yeah, we will update it to 2018 standards…ofc i would.
do i need to do that for a 2 year old game? i really shouldn’t…

2 Likes

I think it’s typically because people care about the game.

I deeply want to enjoy this game long term. I want to spend 3500 hours on it over years like I could tf2.

But with the design decisions Blizzard are making, I’m not even getting bored of OW (which is usually the cause of decline for most games). Instead, I actively dislike playing OW nowadays and I really don’t want that to be the case. OW has so many cool designs, characters, bits of lore, shorts, hero mechanics, etc that I’m attached to. It’s hard to let that go.

12 Likes

It serves as a wake up call to the devs that something they’re doing isn’t right and they need to reevaluate things, ideally.

Maybe the right answer is not to cater as heavily towards casual play. despite what people think, maybe casual players don’t actually know what they want? Or maybe they do and it’s the competitive crowd that’s killing the game off? Or maybe it’s just poor design choices or slow patches or ??? dunno, that’s for the devs to figure out, but 1st we need to establish that there is indeed a problem.

Admitting the game is in decline is the first step (which I am sure they already know, but maybe more community backlash will help spur them into action).

Heroes never die!

it’s just people’s dramatic way of saying they are unhappy with changes made to the game and trying to make the game’s issues seem much worse than they really are. world of warcraft’s been “dying” for years but it’s still around and kicking. it’s a pretty common trend with blizzard’s game communities.

6 Likes

with a much smaller player base, last I checked (which was around WoD). There is no question that WoW lost a lot of popularity. Whether you think that’s natural drop off or not idk

This isn’t that hard.

If they can convince others and the devs the game is “dying” they are actually hoping that means the Devs will actually take some action to prevent it and make the game better.

2 Likes

Can’t be too surprised since it’s near 14 years old.

2 Likes

i wouldn’t worry too much about drops in popularity, realistically no game will remain in the spotlight forever. overwatch is starting to see its decline in popularity, but it’s not dying like a lot of people claim. it won’t die for years to come, as long as blizz keeps updating it

Personal anecdotes are beyond worthless. Lack of Twitch popularity only tells us how fun it is to watch, which might be bad news for the owl but doesn’t say much about the population size of the game.

Queue times are still robust and this game gained about 10 million accounts since they last updated us on the number, they can’t all be smurf accounts at that number.

Its obviously not the latest fad game anymore, but anyone who thinks this isn’t the normal slowdown from an older game is kidding themselves. This game is far from dead.

7 Likes

It is not worthless. It’s the best metric for interest in the game we have as Blizzard doesn’t release active player numbers.

1 Like

They have 40 million accounts, last year they had 30 million. That cannot all be smurfs.

Twitch is not a good metric for who is playing. It is worthless for that. It’s only good for who is watching and its viability as an esport.

1 Like

That 40 million number tells us nothing of how many people are actually playing. That number is extremely suspect to begin with.

It’s not suspect. It makes a lot of sense. Queue times have not increased drastically even as people have left, which means that new players must still be replacing some of the old.

2 Likes

It is extremely suspect. It can include things such as ahem free accounts made on consoles, unsold copies of games in stores as that is counted as copies sold in other games, free accounts made in Korean gaming cafes, free weekend players, smurfs, people who played for 5 minutes then dropped the game, etc. All that number is, is a marketing ploy.

2 Likes