Sigma's Nationality đźš©

Has this been revealed yet? If not, anyone have a guess? I hope he isnt American. We dont need a 5th one.

Surprised no one asked this question? Like, nationality plays a massive role in Overwatch

3 Likes

His voice actor is Dutch, so I imagine he’s Dutch or from somewhere nearby

9 Likes

i think Italian or dutch

h ttps://twitter.com/BorisHiestand

Here’s the voice actor. He’s Dutch.

He maybe italian. His small portrait from that leaked image made him look very posh. And we all know he is no where near like that. But that nose…

I wonder what his real name is. Could it actually be Emre or another character that was in the lore prior?

The nationality of the VA doesn’t always determine that of the hero

See Reinhardt and Torbjorn

4 Likes

That’s true, though I think they’ve made an effort since launch to try to roughly match voice actors’ nationality to the hero’s. Torb and Rein are exceptions to the rule, I think. Unfortunately, his accent in the reveal isn’t really that strong, so it’s hard to tell if he’s intended to have a Dutch accent or not.

He certainly doesn’t sound Italian. TBH he mostly sounds American or Canadian to me

1 Like

He doesn’t sound like an Italian guy.

Guessing he’s Greek judging by the blatantly obvious name.

2 Likes

The VA confirmed that the Hero is dutch

3 Likes

Or Junkrat, which can generously be described as “Not the worst attempt at a broad Australian accent”.

1 Like

Is it ? I mean it’s not like nationality give extra utilities to characters.

So he is Dutch? well soon we should get that Afrikaans character
soon blizz soon i’ll be waiting

I felt inclined to say European (not British) when I first heard the story, but, the voice actor being Dutch and his distinct way of pronouncing certain words leans me to agree that he’s Dutch either way.

Overwatch has absolutely stolen my attention with this one, fair play.

Wildtake but what if he’s flamish? From Belgium? That would make him the second video game character that is Belgian. In the entire Video game community (I’m still searching for Belgian characters).

That would be really interesting to me

2 Likes

Totally possible that he could be Belgian, fair point.

That’s not necessarily definitive, though. I think it’s interesting to look at the links between the name and the hero, though - throughout the trailer we see, multiple times, Sigma splitting into 3 versions of himself. The Greek letter Sigma has 3 different written characters. Additionally, like other Greek letters, it is used a lot in science, notably in several fields of physics.

1 Like

Agreed.
Plus as I said in another thread, I think Sigma’s multiple conflicted personalities would fit Belgium well : Flanders and Wallonia often have tensions and political struggles against each other, while at other times are united despite their differences.

He could be a Euro that realized his parents mistake so, he became an American citizen instead. :grin::grin::grin:

Being a Greek would make some sense, regarding that he has a Greek letter for a name, but also, several greek letters appear in his origin story intro.

So many Greek letters feel too much to just note that he’s an astrophysicist. It might be simply that though. We’ll see.