Sick of tanks being treated like crap

I can’t believe I’m saying this but the main issue is not tanks exploding (although it is an issue), yeah discord orb is an issue that makes tanks explode and the DPS passive is oppressive that also makes tanks explode, but you can work around that (even if your positioning basically needs to be god tier).

The fundamental issue with tanks in season 9 is it is far too difficult to obtain any kills and it feels absolutely miserable. Tanks need damage buffs or we need at the very least some partial revert on the health buffs for this patch.

I have gone matches where I have had 10k damage with 4 elims, it’s not even because I’ve been shooting the tank, but I’ve been shooting the pocketed DPS who is not being shot at by our own DPS to activate the passive, so they don’t die.

There’s no agency in the tank role anymore, all tanks do is useless trash damage which feeds enemy healers ult charge.

Damage was effectively decreased by 25% with essentially no compensation for tanks while DPS get a passive which is another “let’s make tank life miserable” ability. Being melted by discord + DPS passive is an annoying bonus too because it also means you cannot be as aggressive and scary.

Tank damage is literally a joke, I have even charged a zarya I saw last night while on sigma because I legitimately did not care about her being maximum charge the entire game, and she did nothing. Remember when we used to be scared of a high charge zarya as the game intended? I do! Now I see zens frontlining in front of a tank because health is so ridiculous now.

Genuinely annoys the actual hell out of me, sick of tanks being treated like second class citizens. Every patch you somehow make tank feel like complete crap and I’m tired of it, we are people too you know who want to have fun, shocking I know.

But I know it’s very likely again you guys won’t listen to the tank community, as you never do. There’s a tiny part of me that hopes you’ll do something to make tank as at least enjoyable as last season, but I doubt it. Also the fact that I am saying that SEASON 8 TANK is more enjoyable really shows how much of a complete failure this patch was for tanks. Please prove me wrong though!! I really want to enjoy this season

27 Likes

Queue times will be the ultimate judge of all. The most unbiased and objective judges. The judges that don’t listen to DPS complains, don’t fall for trolling and don’t care for feelings.

9 Likes

A lot of this season for tank players is waiting on the DPS players to deal damage.

Which sucks because the new player mentality is to “just shoot” and never focus or prioritize targets.

In other news, dive tanks feel AMAZING right now.

Kinda glad brawl is taking a backseat. OW2 has had such an obnoxious amount of brawl is was actually sickening.

Now I feel FREE to play again!

Yes.
DPS Passive is what creates action now. So just shoot the same target as your DPS.
I think Dva still hurts at point blank though so I guess its map/tank pick dependent.
Rein sill oneshots.

Holding the line. If you let pass enemy tank, your support would still die.

If zarya did nothing fully charged, either her DPS weren’t there and/or your supports fully healed you.

Honestly, just remove the damn role and make the game just support & dps. Who the hell likes playing tank? Noone. Who likes playing AGAINST tank? Noone. That means to incentivize people to play tank, they have to make the character stupidly stronger than everyone else. Which makes the game less enjoyable for the other roles. So the devs have to decide “do we want to make the game suck for tank players? or do we want to make the game suck for non-tank players?”

3 Likes

sidenote: my dps quickplay queue times is approaching 10 minutes now, which is beyond idiotic

3 Likes

I am mentally exhausted playing tank. Why is it ok for me to constantly swap tanks, yet DPS are allowed to just one trick? I want to smash my keyboard playing tank on this game. It’s so f**** unfun and miserable.

I’d love to know what games you’re playing in because for the last 3 days it’s been nothing but DPS one tricking hitscan and snipers so when I dive I’m left alone with 2 immobile dps.

8 Likes

That’s just wrong, the horrid feeling has mainly come with this patch completely dumpstering tanks.

And the fact that the balance team has done next to nothing to make tanks fun to play recently LOL. (Imagine if we just stuck with 6v6 for example, reworked tanks, added fun tanks like JQ, that’d be awesome)

Genuinely losing my mind playing tank this season. This is new, and I’ve never had this feeling before, even in the depths of double shield, brig, etc, I could have fun.

2 Likes

When you are at it, also remove support.
“Who the hell” likes playing target dummy for Soldier 76?

Zen says: Queue times speak the truth. :poop:

3 Likes

Finally someone that sees common sense, tank as a role was finished the moment they introduced rq.

Its time to retire that role and rework the tanks as dps or something, for the few left tank players and dva df mains to play them.

Or you have to go back to open q format with role limits, then rebalance powersccales again and top it off with lfg and clan systems.

Outside that tank role will keep dragging the game down with q times and bad changes which result in worse q times.

1 Like

People like you are genuinely proof that people don’t give a crap about tank players. No wonder this patch came out. “Ah, who cares about those people who play that role?”. What a selfish take :skull:

6 Likes

The whole game has been catered to tank players and influenced by them, there is not enough tank players to facilitate rq, its just a unpopular role in all games.

I used to play rein myself too.

Im not being disrespectful to the sufferings of tank players, but this the reality, its a unsustainable role in its current state.

My queue times for dps are around 7-8 minutes right now. Back to the final days of OW1.

Nice patch. This game will remain unsalvageable until we get a new game director.

13 Likes

The best thing that you can do to ensure BlizzTurd is forced to improve the tanking experience is to STOP PLAYING THE GAME. Stop tanking. Let the DPS players rot in 20+ minute queues.

If you continue to play tank despite being unhappy with the game all you’re doing is bending over for them. If we don’t stop playing it doesn’t matter how many people cry and whine on Reddit and this forum about how miserable tanking is, nothing will change.

7 Likes

Though i would put that up more to the brilliance of team4, this patch is bad enough to stop many players from playing, they removed all skill its like a easy mode no one asked for.

Many more will leave in days to come if this stays.

Its not related to tanks though they are probably once affected the most.

Actually what you’re doing is providing metrics for them that prove how ‘horrible’ tanking is now.

If their metrics show that formerly successful tank players are consistently struggling, they have their actual, hard proof via metrics. Otherwise all they have to go on is whining which may or may not be hyperbolic.

There are ways to make the game fun for tank players.

For a start we can at least partially revert the health pool changes, nerf zen and DPS passive, and buff tank damage. We could even just revert the entire patch, nerf broken supports?

The tank population was funnily enough bigger in OW1 (the fact that Q times are similar right now WITH ONE TANK is hilarious), we could go back to 6v6 with less CC, keep the fun reworks and fun new heroes like JQ?

There are things to do, you shouldn’t just admit defeat for a huge percentage of the playerbase. Because whether you like it or not, tanks are at least 20-25% of the playerbase. That’s not “just a few d.va one tricks”.

1 Like

I endorse this whole heartedly, first for your own sakes, if you are miserable you shouldnt force yourself into doing that.

second ya it needs to hit those thresholds for something sensible to happen, either they will do open q or remove tanks as a role or something, or most probably do what they did to hots and retire the game.

anyway its the best than this long drawn out state.

1 Like

The issue is tank players are less, even at the hieght of overwatch release, there was never enough tanks.

And even if we do it now, the chance of even getting back those who left is slim, let alone grow it beyond that.

The only way i can see it working is open q.

Or a seperate squad q that allows tanks to form groups and play with a LFG.

solo q with rq cannot have tank and good q times and match quality.

Two of those will suffer always.

There was a time when the stuff you say if blizzard did before rq we could have atleast retained and maybe even grew tank playerbase.

its long past that time.

Also even that left over tank playebase is largely due to hero loyalty, if you ban dva df and rein.

I think tank playerbase would be so less after that.

1 Like

Tanks as designed were doomed to fail. Tanks in OW were clearly built around the idea of tanks in WoW or other mainly PvE games. Tanks can’t “create space” in a PvP game without acting as another role, typically damage. PvE games can use aggro to contol how NPCs react, but you can’t do that in a PvP game.

So in the end, tanks had to become fat dps.

2 Likes