Shortage of Tanks? Tanking is utterly depressing

And Dva (most fun tank in game)

why leave game? I dont think you should leave a game because of people or what they say. Just mute them, you didnt even have to leave VCā€¦ SO that way they were muted and you could still communicate with the team

4 seconds is still enough time for everyone to die apparently.

1 Like

Dunno. I think dps getting better at using cover now (slightly).

Went Hog one game as our dps were Widow and Tracer. Absolutely no barrier pressure and Widow doing nothing. Switched to Hog to smash barriers and our Widow popped off.

In my experience tanks need to switch to aid dps. Dps almost never switch.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦tanks are boring.

The latest patch has helped, but the problem is that 2/3 of Overwatch characters on a team are now not meant to deal damage as their primary function. Thereā€™s a lot of reasons DPS is the favorite role, and trying to smash it in popularity has proven to be mostly an awful idea, though for the right cause of making games better.

At this point, itā€™s hard to justify bothering. Tanking is the best role for picking up loot boxes and quick games. Otherwise, log in to play DPS and play a skirmish. The game core has to change for this to get betterā€¦orā€¦you accept what it is. But if Twitch is any indicator, and for Blizzard it is, ever since Role lock launched, this game has descended in popularity. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s dead or dying, but it sure is a lot less popular than it was.

1 Like

Was watching xqc back in ow play from 4 days ago. Guyā€™s a beast.

Hit 4150 and got to 430 position in top 500.

And he was like, ā€œ4150 is top 500? Dying gameā€¦ā€

1 Like

I figured out why the guy in my match was so salty

3 Likes

Harbleau dealing ludicrous damage on tank.

Methinks I need to learn Hammond. Almost as cute as baby Yoda.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was FOR role queue, but the fact of the matter is DPS role is too popular for it to work. Unless they can figure out a way to make all heroes w/ DPS capabilities (to get kills), thatā€™s the only way to have a better 2-2-2 experience. Otherwise we will be stuck in this hell hole and the game will slowly wither away.

Iā€™m usually saying tanks make or deny space. I fully understand what your going through, itā€™s sad too. Only advice I have is check discord or on here to duo to team up and try to climb. Solo q works for me majority of the time, but I still duo trio and even 6 stack. I personally believe shield tanks are dead except rein.

Itā€™s best to be an aggressive fast comp (even on defense) trying going ball, Winston, or diva even on defense. My games are going great now.

Basically thatā€™s literally what it is the higher you climb too. The pace of the game gets increased each rank higher. So slow comps rn will not work. i.e hog, orisa, rein.

Try playing a faster comp, or fast shield breaks. And I fully understand how most players feel like this is COD or team death match. It especially shows on defense. People donā€™t understand patience and positioning. Like playing a corner and waiting for the team to engage as an opening. But players go waaaaaaaaay past the shield and try to get cheeky spawn kills, and you guessed itā€¦ die immediately.

To those players STOP. If you want those kills, most players make positional errors when engaging. In short help your tanks by being behind them. And healers youā€™ll know if any of your team are low, and can properly heal them. And dps will have free shots while the shield is up.

There is a very simple solution to this problem. Adopt a DPS. There are so many good DPS out there that would be grateful to queue with a tank to reduce their queue times.

Iā€™ve had people treat me like Iā€™m crazy for trying to march in with reinhardtā€¦and ordering me to stay back

2 Likes

1-tricking WB for season 15 (maybe 16) so I could learn him was hands down the best decision I ever made. It was painful and my low plat SR of the time as a tank main plummeted to high silver.

I do feel a tad bad at the games I was def responsible for losing but only way to get gud in comp with a hero is to play that hero.

It was a painful experience but the pay-off was I have an extremely powerful hero in my arsenal him with my skill on the other tanks rocketed me up to low Diamond.

Heā€™s my main now and loving every second of it. The problem with WB is if you donā€™t main him you really donā€™t want to use him outside the occasional stalling because you are more then likely going to be throwing

Not really. I actually hate shooters. Only one I ever played and enjoyed was Deadspace and that was just a 1-player over the shoulder thing.

Dpsing is boring to me. I find little pleasure in clicking heads. Tanking is far more mentally focused then dps are. you have to keep track of a lot, plan head, out play an entire team to enable your own. Plus you are on the front lines, reacting and almost always active.

I can predict how a team fight will pan out and set things up like no tomorrow. To those unfamiliar to tanking it may seem like you arenā€™t doing much and thus feels less rewarding.

People donā€™t like to think. They like to pew pew and see themselves on the kill feed (despite tanks easily being able to monopolize the kill feed)

1 Like

Iā€™m speaking in general, and of course thereā€™s nothing wrong with personal preferences. Some people like tanks, some people like support.

But overall, Iā€™d say that most people play DPS and have little desire to switch over to the other roles proves they find them not interesting enough. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a super secret discovery to be made for them that tanks are interesting, donā€™t they finally see the light?! To you, who like tanks, all I say is excellent, at least someone does :slight_smile:

1 Like

imagine being gold and having a name that so clearly says i have adhd and mommy and daddy bought my pc, but still trying to forum shame peopleā€¦ OP is well aware of his skill and sr, you apparently not so much.

1 Like

Well, after creating this topic a few days back, and getting coaching from some nice forum guys, Iā€™m doing pretty well.

Still need to play more games, but Iā€™m waiting until Iā€™m in the zone for tanking rather than just leaping on. Less is more.

Iā€™ve decided to play Rein as a crazy melee dps. Iā€™m going to default to hammering people to death, fire striking them and charging them, unless itā€™s going to get me killed. Then the shield goes up.

Similar with Orisa. I set up on a safe corner and just dakka people. Managed some good kds in wins lately (28-4, 16-1, 14-1), so guess itā€™s working.

I no longer expect my team to follow my lead or even stick together. I just act as a fat dps and hope that I get heals.

If no support at all from team, then Hog comes out.

2 Likes

im having a lot of fun on hog and hammond. Nerf to barriers essentially made barrier tanks not a must pick anymoreā€¦which Iā€™m honestly okay with.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t help that half the tanks are nearly unplayable atm, mostly the more fun ones imo

1 Like

So my friend, i decided to stick to my commitment of playing up to 100 games this season.
Played 31 games prior to Patch 1.43. was about 58% win percentage. Topped out at about 1350+.
Did not play for over a month because life happens.
6 days left in the season, figured that i should stick to my own commitment.
Played 18-19 games yesterday and lost 14.
Game after game, co-tank waits until the last minute to pick and it is almost always Ball, Hog or D.Va. Me, i do what i thought was right and always went with either Orisa or Rein.
Had a game whereby on Attack on Anubis, was Orisa and co-Tank was Hog. Did not even make it past first choke. Team had zero elimins and i died at least 8 times. Shield up and was obliterated within seconds because Red Team had a Junk Rat who was standing in the left corridor and Red Team had a Sigma and Orisa all focus fire on my puny 600hp shield.
Fortify to try and push, no heals and neither dd nor co-Tank thought to take out the Junk Rat. Got blamed by everyone for not putting up barrier.
I, matter-of-factly told them that my shield was only 600hp and could not survive the focus fire especially from a Red Junk Rat.
Strangely enough, my entire team left the game. Yes, all 5 of them.

This, coupled with the 14+ losses resulting in over 250 SR loss and now, a 42% win rate from being 58% and from 1350+ to 1100+ SR just makes me really sick of playing shield tanks and taking one for the team.

I am fine in Bronze, i just hate losing this way.

The games i won, healers were healing and i had a co-Tank who went with a barrier. Those games, i died less than 4 times. In fact, there was a game i died only twice the entire game.

IDK, man. I am 50 games away from 100 but i think that once i am done with that, i am done with Tanking for good, maybe even the competitive mode itself.

Thanks for listening, buddy.

1 Like

The gameā€™s damage creep has made it hard to enjoy playing a tank with the health pools they have. The only two whoā€™s effective health pool to incoming damage feels enjoyable is Hog and Hammond.

2 Likes